Andrew Robothan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by canteenflat, Dec 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In the Commons on December 9 2010, yet another Defence Minister--how many have we had these past five years. A magnum of Champagne to the one sad soul who knows.
    Howsumever, as they say in this part of Norfolk, Andrew Robothan stated Inter alia" 22 cancers resulting from gamma ray radiation amongst servicemen are agreed for the provision of War Pensions"

What rot!

Where he plucked that figure from heaven knows.

The USA pays for 22. We pay, reluctantly, for about four.

2. Six Secretaries of State for Defence in the last five years (Hoon, Reid, Browne, Hutton, Ainsworth and Fox), none of which was the aforementioned Andrew Robathan (he's Undersecretary of State with responsibility for Welfare and Veterans).

I claim my free champagne!

3. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Not so fast. You are correct about the six Secretaries of State for Defence. But canteenflat refers to ministers
    and even canteenflat has lost count.

Parliamentary Under Secretary of State (Robatham) is a minister. And a lot more besides.

4. Not quite so elementary my dear Watson-He featured somewhere along the way as Minister SoS .Twigg and Touhig?

5. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

canteenflat wrote

Harleston?

Robathan.

Where did you pluck your figures from?

6. How interesting you've
    even heard of Harleston in Norfolk. Little of fame save a couple of Brown-Job VC's a village or so away.
    I'm not sure of the last two years, but until then there lived a survivor of the friendly fire incident in 1944. He had served as a young Bunting Tosser on HMS Salamander.
    She , Hussar, Britomart and Jason had swept the D Day traffic clear of mines.
    On Admiralty instructions they repaired to a safe anchorage. Sadly Admiralty failed to inform the Air Ministry resulting in those ships of the 1st Minesweeper Flotilla being rocket- attacked by RAF Typhoons. Britomart and Hussar were sunk and Salamander mortally wounded.
    The young Harleston sailor lost part of his left leg
    Despite this he was still cracking the most execrable jokes ,mostly at his own expense, when I last saw himl