And if you pass...

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Ricochet, Jan 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello there,

New to RR, but would like to say thanks to everyone who has contributed to this site, as it has helped me pass AIB and i am sure countless others! I have just passed AIB for warfare, with what the Captain said was a "satisfactory" result. I'm interested to find out quite what that means, and will this give me a good chance on knocking on BRNC's front door anytime soon. Any help would be like christmas, thanks guys.
  2. I know it's difficult but if I were you I would not start asking what 'satisfactory' means because if you do you will only start to fret about it.

P.S. Congratulations :)
  3. Thanks Harry! I know what you mean, a little fretting is already here. I've just been reading about people who have been waiting what seems an eternity, and wouldnt like to be in the same boat.
  4. Hey Congrats!
    Just wait for your brief with LO, mine was the week after passing AIB, the give you a break down, once you have that give the TSO a call and he will tell you hopefully what you want to hear.
    On my board a few people got told straight out not to expect a date anytime soon, so your doing better than them already.
    Best of luck!
  5. Congratulations Ricochet. :)
  6. Thank you chaps, thats just the advice i need! Though natg, who is the TSO? I get the feeling i should know... How long was it before you bounced on in to BRNC?
  7. Satisfactory in Navy speak translates into did well in Civvy speak.
    But as stated stand by for your debrief for the definition as it applies to you.
    Well done on passing.
  8. A phrase you'll learn to love - Just Sat means Just that
  9. enjoy the eternity before the reality
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Brutal truth?

You'll find out anyway from your ACLO, but you have to hope that there are more places available for you in that particular trade, than those that follow afterwards & that those that follow pass with a less than satisfactory result.

On average, average is not always enough.

Either way, good luck to you & don't forget you can always join as a Rating & apply for a commission after you have joined.
  11. TSO is the Training Selection Officer...(i think!)basically the person who holds all the answers...

On your letter confirming your pass you will be given a phone number (TSO), you will call and probably get an answer machine, leave a message! They will call you back. They will tell you about your probability of getting selected in your chosen trade, or how if you opted for a different route you may get offered a place sooner. It's all probability though, he could tell you that your gurnateed a place, but reality is that an AIB board could sit next week and all get top marks, therefore meaning their in and your out. Unfortunately that's the way the system works.

Well, i was lucky, or perhaps a better way to phrase it is that i did well at AIB, i was waiting a grand total of 5 days before being offered a place at Dartmouth. only 32 days to go now ! :-D
    Not rubbing it in, just happy.
  12. Yeah I got offered a place about a week later and I got a very satisfactory score.

What branch are you going into as there a lots more warfare places then say Logistics I was lucky to get in Logistics because there was only 14 places!
  13. I think you'll find that you got a "Very Satisfactory" score. Capitals turn it from a comment to an assessment, subtle difference.
  14. 'Satisfactory' is a judgement often made with a curled lip and a sneer, just ask any school or teacher whose lesson has been judged 'Satisfactory'. 'Good' is only slightly better than 'satisfactory', so nothing less than 'Very Good' is acceptable .

I warned you not to talk about it. Now look what you've gone and made me do :shakefist:

Edited for unsatisfactory i.e. biff grammar :thumright:
  15. “Just Sat†no longer exists.

16. Sat was always considered average, has this definition changed?
  17. I did "well" if I remember correctly and still didn't get in for Warfare... just to burst the bubble, but I wish you all the best!
  18. my Satisfactory, didn't get me a place at BRNC. I am now going to re-apply. Just keep your fingers crossed, if you get 'wishy washy' answers from the TSO then start bulking up your CV again! : )

edited due to rushing.
  19. How long did it take you to find out you werent going to BRNC? And good luck btw!
  20. I was told when I passed that it would be very unlikely that I would not get in, I only found out that my pass was not good enough in December, nine months after I passed, in fact even upto early December the TSO was still telling me that a February entry was likely.

You have to do brilliantly to get a clear idea.