Anchor faced or what?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by dollygee, Feb 5, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I saw the passing out parade of the newbies at HMS Raleigh yesterday, and to see and hearthe Guard and Bootie Band marching on to the parade ground, to the tune of " Hearts of Oak " brought a lump to my throat.
    All who took part in the parade were a credit to our service.

2. Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  3. Excelelnt clip.

What was the tune they used to play after Heart of Oak ? I could hum it - but you wont be able to hear!

In my day it was always preceeded by "Round again Class Leader"

Oh, and on the days the band is not there - do they still have the dalek?

PBSP

4. Dalek is still in use for practice divisions.

5. Wasn't the second tune they played at Raleigh the Liberty Bell. Otherwise known as the Monty Python theme. I'm sure that what it was when I passed out in '77

6. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Yeah, a Chief GI could even whip us Reservists into shape... tis a pity the navy saw fit to abolish the GIs!

The RNR100 parade was a great day and was, I believe, one of the largest gatherings of uniformed naval service personnel in London for a long time. I have a memory of pubs in the vicinity of the QE2 COnference Centre being over-run by RNRs looking for beer when the official reception ran out of free booze and tried to start charging extortionate prices.

8. Think we're talking at cross purposes, I didn't mean CPOGI's I meant CGI (Computer Generated Imagery) or have I just bitten.

9. Ooooh! Get sir! :whdat:=D

11. OK sad but true..............my mobile ring tone is 'Hearts of Oak'! :blush:

Mind you, it always gets a good comment when folk hear it!

12. And remember when everyone used to do the raspberry very quietly, thinking they were the only one to do so?

Happy days!

14. Oi Bandy! Why pick on me, a poor ex-sundodger, who has a happy and upbeat ring tone to remind me of all the happy hours standing on various parade grounds before shuffling (don't do marching!) off?

Besides, the OP started it............... Heart(s) of Oak.

• Like Like x 1
  15. He's not! Although he is still in uniform. He is the Head of Ceremonial at the Royal Hospital School, Holbrook.