An off the shelf C3 option??

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by stumpy, Dec 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trawling the internet I dsicovered these Danish ships:

http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/fly/

Compare them with the new River Class ships which have a 30mm gun...and thats it. For a bit more we could have had some very capable pocket warships. We should also look at modulising harpoon and Sea Sparrow on the Rivers, thus giving them a bit of a punch!

There is talk of the future C3 option, of a smallmultirole ship for OPV, minhunting and patrolling etc. Either buy these or modify the Rivers instead.

Either would cost a fraction of developing a new class of ship.

I have to say that I like the Danish ships, especially these ones and the Absoloms which would perfectly cater for the C2 design.

http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/absalon/

Time to buy Danish!

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. NIH says 'no'

3. Basically looks like the Peacock class 76mm etc only difference being propulsion method Peacock were twin tourb v-16 diesals

4. Except that these Danish little ships have a useful working area at the stern for boats, containers for MCM work etc.

I would prefer to see the Rivers adapted as they have a lovely large range.

• Like Like x 1
  5. :Dfor its size the river class is a pointless machine. why built a vessel that size ? if one was fitted with sonar, an asw merlin or asroc system, i could get it, but its just a sop to clyde yard jobs, the work on at least one should have gone to portsmouth or devonport a cheap ram rayeathon 116 at £998,000. could at least see them viewed as a viable warship design. can we have 15 braunschweieg saar corvettes please

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2016
  6. id prefer the braunschwieg saar 6 if possible, bristling with yummy gadgets and stuff, lets have 15 of these babies

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2016
  7. 9 years - is that a record?

PS. Visby. That is all.

• Like Like x 2
  8. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Where are you getting this C2/C3 lexicon from, I don't recognise that in any of our work?

• Bullshit Bullshit x 1
  9. It was common parlance in 1985. Where have you been WD? :p

• Old Old x 1
  10. wave_dodger

Mainly in secondary education from that vintage....

• Like Like x 1
    • Braindead Braindead x 1
  11. wave_dodger

But you miss the point, fitting all of that you've just created a sub optimal frigate! We want an OPV, something thats good enough and flexible enough to do the tasks we don't need high end warships for. More importantly we can't man all of the Frigates - smaller, lean manned is the way ahead.

12. WD - RR's recently-joined AR9 has taken a certain delight in imposing hisself on threads of aged and sometimes uncertain vintage.

As suggested elsewhere - Play him at his game and maybe he'll eventually wise up.

• Like Like x 1
  13. what does an opv do that an archer boat can't?

• Bullshit Bullshit x 1
  14. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Are you for real?

Based on your intelligence and posts thus far, I must ask if you have recently won an election in the USA?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. yes wanna borrow my plane ?lol:D

16. the absalom gets plenty of good press , but for me the german braunschwieg presses the buttons better, videos online are worth a quick look

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2016
  18. what does an opv do that a couple of archers operating can't do?

• Braindead Braindead x 1
  19. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

The archers are coastal traing craft, limited ability to go offshore above a state2? cannot stay at sea overnight easily, have no sustainable life support, no istar, no weapons, no flight deck etc etc.

They exist for coastal waters only and cannot do deep water patrols.