An Ex-Pat?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Leatherneck, May 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I had a British pen mate from England last year. I met through a British pen-pal website. She was living in Swtizerland and explained to me that she was an Ex-Pat or ex-patriot? and had some ill feelings about the UK and nothing good to say about her homeland. I know a lot of American's who have the same attitude, perhaps I should suggest they move to Switzerland as they will be in good company? Weird people.

I remember Winston Churchill; saying: "To please every one is to please no one."
  2. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Being an ex-pat myself, I think you are generalising too much and as I was told many years ago "All generalisations are generally wrong all of the time".

People have many different reasons for becoming ex-pats, quite often involving discontent / disillusion with their homeland. I will always be British, however, at the moment I cannot see myself ever returning there - does that make me weird? My quality of life and the future opportunities for my children are far better here in Canada than I had in the UK - should I blindly adhere to a patriotic ideal that puts where I live ahead of my family?

There have been expats for hundreds of years; the world of today has been hugely influenced by them (I'm sure where we're both currently living would have been vastly different without them). Accept the fact that not everyone will be happy living in the land of their birth - celebrate the fact that they can a) speak about their discontent without fear of persecution, and b) do something about their discontent by either getting involved in politics or becoming expats somewhere more acceptable to them.
  3. Your perfectly right in your reply. I open my mouth and insert my foot here. Frankly I have been becoming disillusioned with America, over the past year or so. Seriously considering joining the ex-pat club myself. It doesn't make us weird people as everyone has a reason for the things they do
  4. SPeaking as an ex-pat myself having lived in both mainland Europe and the Far East I agree with FW. The strange thing is that you become almost more patriotic when you live abroad - or a t least I do.

Quite unreasonably you start to take a renewed interest in UK politics, the state of the RN and arguements about the best chip shop knowing that yoiu will probably never again go to the one you used to like!

Leatherneck - if you are a US citizen remember that your country was founded and mostly built by a lot of European ex-pats in the first place!!!

McC (Sill drinking the Loyal Toast in sunny Singapore).
  5. Thank you for giving me a more clear insight on the subject. If weren't for ex-pats America would have never been.

I'm in the process of delting my account since I've done very little here outside of insult others. I'm very bad for moral.
  6. Hey, don't go! We need some foreign opinion on this forum, and
    I have never been insulted by your postings. In fact I look forward to being insulted so that I can reply in like manner. The RN/RM are noted for taking the piss; it's mostly not serious, it's just the way we were brought up. Politeness is seen as, how shall we say, a little Gay!
  7. Who've you insulted?

I'll have you know I only frequent this site for the cyber fights. The more the merrier!
  8. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

No need for you to go from my perspective - in responding I wanted to try and explain why I became an expat and to say that being an expat did not necessarily alter a person's patriotism.

At the risk of generalising, I'd guess many people become expats for financial and/or political reasons - there are few I'd imagine who have become expats over reasons of underlying patriotism. Just because I find New Labour and the UK cost of living unacceptable does not make me any less proud of being British.

Leatherneck - if I've offended you with my views, then I apologise; remain registered, contribute to the discussions, and learn others' viewpoints - if we were all the same then it'd be damn boring!
  9. Ok, I'm not going. I thought I had insulted other members with my opinions. I throw things out in the open, like the ex-pats bit. what was weird this morning makes perfect sense this afternoon from a load of angles.

I have been posted abroad on shore duty, mainly in the far east, and it was there that my patriotism grew. I had been seriously considering a move to England in the next few years. Thinking the grass is greener on the otherside. I see things I fancy on both sides and things I don't fancy on both sides as well.

I just ordered my Jacktalk book so I had better put it to use. Oh, and a load of Royal Marine books too. I'll be here mincing about.

10. Leatherneck

You are taking the word "pat" or "pats", for more than one, far to serioulsy and assuming it means patriotic and ex being no longer patriotic. In fact within the UK the word "ex-pat" has little or no connection with the feeling of being Patriotic and stands alone to mean:

"ex-pat" (n) for a person from the UK or in fact possibly any country who chooses to reside and possibly work in another. In fact they are more like immigrants but most intend to return to the UK at some point if not they are immigrants, i.e. people who have migrated.

I am a financial and weather immigrant from the UK to Spain where I do not work, but can live a better life in the sun with a much lower cost of living than the UK, where I regulary return for holidays, weddings and funerals.

None of my ex-pat/immigrant friends could be called un-patriotic in the sense of that word.

11. ................It's f***ing sunnier, f***ing warmer, the ale is
    f***ing cheaper, the f***ing beaches are mostly clean,
    the f***ing sea is mostly warm, everyone eats f***ing
    outdoors on their f***ing patios whilst swanning about
    in their f***ing pools or f***ing jacuzzis, you can pick
    your own f***ing oranges or f***ing lemons and the
    lifestyle is far and above what we have to f***ing endure
    here in f***ing Merrie England.

But I'm not bitter. :thumright:
  12. I'm seeing things as they are now and not what I perceived them as prior to opening this topic up. Makes perfect sense to live somewhere that's more practical in terms of cost of living and makes you happy. And you can still be patriotic. I'm starting to see where it would be more practical for me to move outside of America, I know of several places that I wouldn't mind living where my Dollars can still buy me something. Very clever thinking.
  13. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Just to clarify the distinction: "expat" is a contraction of expatriate, i.e. someone living abroad; it is NOT a contraction of ex-patriot aka treasonous bastard!
  14. I consider myself an exile rather than an expat. Self imposed exile when Liabour came to power and no regrets about that. Could return to Blighty after the next general election if I can afford it.
  15. Are you sure you never served in the Royal Marines, I'd been wondering where my LBD had gone. :dwarf:
  16. Petrol is Five quid a spoonful. Contractors rip off MOD
    with "ghost" workers. Boris is Lord Mayor of London.
    Terry Wogan is still alive. All the mega-huge Supermarkets
    are into price-fixing. Car Tax is up, Council Tax is up,
    You can't have a smoke - a-n-y-w-h-e-r-e, kids are now
    into "Cycle-by" shootings (with or without training stabilisers),
    You can go into hospital for an ingrowing toenail op, and come
    out minus your legs (or in a box...the choice is yours), the only
    English person you will see actually selling anything will be the
    homeless guy flogging the "Big Issue" - if you get lucky and
    buy the house of your dreams, the dwelling next door could
    very well be an unlicenced Halfway-House for Registered Sex
    Offenders, you no longer have to call robots on the telephone -
    they will call you! For all those considering the big move to
    pastures new, I can thoroughly recommend Albania as the next
    big thing....because, very soon - all the Albanians will be over

Welcome Home!
  17. Compared to: Free parking at the shopping centre, free parking at the railway station, free public toilets in every town, free barbecues at the park. Yes we still have Supermarket cartels and water rationing but the weather is good. Petrol has never been so high, at 70p/litre number plate theft is rife!

It's not all roses, more a mixed bag - but did I mention the free parking ?
  18. Like I said....welcome home!

19. 70p a litre ?

Did i miss a link ?

Its 110p in sheffield
  20. I think she means 70p in Oz, I could be wrong though