An Error

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by Jack_McHammocklashing, Apr 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Why when entering Rum Ration does it say welcome to the British Royal Navy
    There is only ONE Royal Navy
    there are other Royal Navies but only one is referred to as the Royal Navy

Pedant mode

Jack McHammocklashing RO9

2. Perhaps Pam the Spam's Ex has been tampering... he always insisted he served in the BRN: British Royal Navy! 8O
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Perhaps we should change it to the "British (incorporating all denominations) Royal(If that's OK by you) Navy" so's we don't offend our Iranian buddies & suchlike?
  4. How about

"Welcome to the multi-national, gender fair, non-faith specific, pro-European concept of citizenship, anti-elite monarchist nautical non-confrontational peacekeeping force website" :wink:

Or am I just being too cynical.

ps You'd never guess I was in date for Equal Opps training.
  5. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

how do you think I should say, "welcome to the Royal Marines website where we let Jack gob off as well" :lol:
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Moi? As if! I've given maximum help to your boys, even going so far as to advise what to put in their survival 'baccy tins during recruit training. OK, admittedly, I have no knowledge on the subject whatsoever but I've never let that stop me.
  7. We should have patented the trade-name: Royal Navy centuries ago, then there would be no confusion.
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Blummin' good idea AaC, if only we'd patented patents centuries ago too.
  10. Actually received this week a fulsome apology from the BBC. I recently emailed them, (pedant mode full on), complaining about the lack of use of the word "Royal" in their broadcasts when referring to the RN and RM.
    Also the use of the definite article before HMS, (the Her Majesty's Ship).
    I was assured that my complaints have been registered on their daily log, which is distributed to all management and production teams, thanked profusely for contacting them, and informed that my comments would be welcomed in the future.

How's about that then!! (holding breath - but not for long)
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Hope your dreams are fulfilled. The sad reality is that it's easier to apologise & issue platitudes than to defend your actions & stand firm. Standby for next week's installment from the BBC, and the media at large, about "soldiers" serving in the navy onboard warships & in Afghanistan as Commandos.
  12. Yeah! Thanks Ninja, But please read my last line again.

13. Continuing in pedant mode :) The Dutch navy is the "Koninkljke Marine" , which translates as Royal Navy. They no doubt see themselves as the Royal Navy, and give everyone else a qualifier such as "Royal British Navy, whom we flogged at the Medway in 1667" :wink: