An Error

#1
Why when entering Rum Ration does it say welcome to the British Royal Navy
There is only ONE Royal Navy
there are other Royal Navies but only one is referred to as the Royal Navy

Pedant mode

Jack McHammocklashing RO9
 
#2
Jack_McHammocklashing said:
Why when entering Rum Ration does it say welcome to the British Royal Navy
There is only ONE Royal Navy
there are other Royal Navies but only one is referred to as the Royal Navy

Pedant mode

Jack McHammocklashing RO9

Perhaps Pam the Spam's Ex has been tampering... he always insisted he served in the BRN: British Royal Navy! 8O
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
#3
Always_a_Civvy said:
Jack_McHammocklashing said:
Why when entering Rum Ration does it say welcome to the British Royal Navy
There is only ONE Royal Navy
there are other Royal Navies but only one is referred to as the Royal Navy

Pedant mode

Jack McHammocklashing RO9

Perhaps Pam the Spam's Ex has been tampering... he always insisted he served in the BRN: British Royal Navy! 8O
Perhaps we should change it to the "British (incorporating all denominations) Royal(If that's OK by you) Navy" so's we don't offend our Iranian buddies & suchlike?
 
#4
Jack_McHammocklashing said:
Why when entering Rum Ration does it say welcome to the British Royal Navy
There is only ONE Royal Navy
there are other Royal Navies but only one is referred to as the Royal Navy
How about

"Welcome to the multi-national, gender fair, non-faith specific, pro-European concept of citizenship, anti-elite monarchist nautical non-confrontational peacekeeping force website" :wink:

Or am I just being too cynical.

ps You'd never guess I was in date for Equal Opps training.
 

wet_blobby

War Hero
Moderator
#5
how do you think I feel....it should say, "welcome to the Royal Marines website where we let Jack gob off as well" :lol:
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
#6
wet_blobby said:
how do you think I feel....it should say, "welcome to the Royal Marines website where we let Jack gob off as well" :lol:
Moi? As if! I've given maximum help to your boys, even going so far as to advise what to put in their survival 'baccy tins during recruit training. OK, admittedly, I have no knowledge on the subject whatsoever but I've never let that stop me.
 
#8
TattooDog said:
Jack_McHammocklashing said:
How about

"Welcome to the multi-national, gender fair, non-faith specific, pro-European concept of citizenship, anti-elite monarchist nautical non-confrontational peacekeeping force website" :wink:

Or am I just being too cynical.

ps You'd never guess I was in date for Equal Opps training.
no mention of single mother snail breeders, consutling my lawers
 
#10
Actually received this week a fulsome apology from the BBC. I recently emailed them, (pedant mode full on), complaining about the lack of use of the word "Royal" in their broadcasts when referring to the RN and RM.
Also the use of the definite article before HMS, (the Her Majesty's Ship).
I was assured that my complaints have been registered on their daily log, which is distributed to all management and production teams, thanked profusely for contacting them, and informed that my comments would be welcomed in the future.

How's about that then!! (holding breath - but not for long)
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
#11
2badge_mango said:
Actually received this week a fulsome apology from the BBC. I recently emailed them, (pedant mode full on), complaining about the lack of use of the word "Royal" in their broadcasts when referring to the RN and RM.
Also the use of the definite article before HMS, (the Her Majesty's Ship).
I was assured that my complaints have been registered on their daily log, which is distributed to all management and production teams, thanked profusely for contacting them, and informed that my comments would be welcomed in the future.

How's about that then!! (holding breath - but not for long)
Hope your dreams are fulfilled. The sad reality is that it's easier to apologise & issue platitudes than to defend your actions & stand firm. Standby for next week's installment from the BBC, and the media at large, about "soldiers" serving in the navy onboard warships & in Afghanistan as Commandos.
 
#13
Jack_McHammocklashing said:
Why when entering Rum Ration does it say welcome to the British Royal Navy
There is only ONE Royal Navy
there are other Royal Navies but only one is referred to as the Royal Navy

Pedant mode

Jack McHammocklashing RO9
Continuing in pedant mode :) The Dutch navy is the "Koninkljke Marine" , which translates as Royal Navy. They no doubt see themselves as the Royal Navy, and give everyone else a qualifier such as "Royal British Navy, whom we flogged at the Medway in 1667" :wink:
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R094V1-George Miscellaneous 0
R094V1-George Miscellaneous 0
The_Caretaker Land Ops 0

Similar threads

Latest Threads

New Posts

Top