Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Ancient Submariner Retires . . .

from https://www.facebook.com/hmnbclyde

HM Naval Base Clyde

1611128252962.png

A ROYAL Navy Warrant Officer is set to retire from the Senior Service after a career that is thought to be one of the longest in modern times.

Warrant Officer 2 Allan Mason (68), affectionately known as “Perry”, has notched-up a staggering 52-and-a-half years in regular service, 40 of them on board or in support of the Submarine Service.

On February 12 the Marine Engineer from Lincolnshire will finally hang-up his overalls for good, but before then there was a poignant farewell to a major part of his life – submarines.
Perry, who served with submarines HMS Valiant, Sceptre, Sovereign, Splendid and Torbay during his lengthy career, stepped-off a submarine alongside HM Naval Base Clyde for the final time on Friday, December 18.

“What I will miss the most is the everyday challenge and the people,” said Perry. “It has been a genuine privilege to serve on submarines and to work with a tight-knit team who are focussed on the same goals – getting boats to sea.”
Joining the Royal Navy in 1968 aged just 15-and-a-half, Perry began his career as a Junior Marine Engineer Mechanic (Stoker). His first draft was to the World War Two era ship HMS Ulster – a U-Class destroyer converted to a Type 15 frigate. This was followed by service on HMS Leopard, a Type 14 frigate, and HMS Llandaff.

“HMS Ulster was used as a navigation training ship then so there were some great opportunities to sail all around the UK coast,” recalled Perry. “As a Junior Stoker I had to do external and internal boiler cleans and make sure that tubes were cleaned. The ship used a fuel oil that was like treacle so it was a pretty dirty job.
“In those days everyone lined-up on deck on payday and we were all paid in cash. I spent 18-months on HMS Ulster and during that time ‘Black Tot Day’ happened – the last time that the daily tot of rum was issued to sailors. I wasn’t old enough to have the tot at the time but I remember there were a few grieving crew members on board.”

Perry later spent time at HMS Sultan, where he was awarded the Institute of Nuclear Engineers’ HMS Sultan Prize, and then joined HMS Dolphin in 1981 where he undertook his initial submarine training. This was followed by nuclear training and assignment to the Third Submarine Squadron and HMS Valiant. After further training and time at sea, Perry eventually qualified as a Category A2 Nuclear Watchkeeper or Chief of Watch, before serving time on board various Swiftsure Class submarines and with HMS Torbay.
In-between service at sea, he has also spent a considerable amount of time at HM Naval Base Clyde, the Home of the UK Submarine Service. The Engineer is a familiar site, usually to be found in overalls down a Reactor Compartment, in a bilge, or heading to his next job within the Naval Base.
The depth of Perry’s knowledge and experience is something which will be sorely missed at the Naval Base.

As well as plaudits from his colleagues at Faslane, Perry also received a specially recorded message by the professional head of the Royal Navy, First Sea Lord Admiral Tony Radakin CB ADC who thanked both Perry and his family for their service.
Perry was also quick to thank his wife and daughter for their support over his career.

During his distinguished career he has been awarded the Iraq Medal, the Operational Service Medal for Operation Veritas, Golden and Diamond Jubilee medals, the Meritorious Service Medal (MSM), his Long Service and Good Conduct badge with three clasps, and has become a member of The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (MBE).

Although records begin to get sketchy past a certain point, it is thought that Warrant Officer Mason’s career is one of the longest in modern times. Both Lord Mountbatten and Admiral Keyes served some 52 years, while Admiral Fisher, who was recalled from retirement, served for 59 years. It is also believed that some Royal Navy Ratings kept on active service during the World Wars also approached Perry’s length of Service.

Perry’s achievement of 52-and-a-half years however is one which is incredibly rare and even more remarkable for most of it having been spent beneath the waves.

“If anyone is thinking of joining the Submarine Service then I would say to them to go for it. You will never work anywhere else quite like it. Every day will be a challenge and the people you work with will be first-class.
“A submarine is an amazing, unique, vessel and the only comparison would be to the space shuttle.

“I have been very lucky to have had the travel opportunities which I’ve had, first in General Service where I got to travel all over the world, and then in the Submarine Service where I got to do it again, except this time underwater!”

Wightsparker

War Hero

from https://www.facebook.com/hmnbclyde

HM Naval Base Clyde

View attachment 56520

A ROYAL Navy Warrant Officer is set to retire from the Senior Service after a career that is thought to be one of the longest in modern times.

Warrant Officer 2 Allan Mason (68), affectionately known as “Perry”, has notched-up a staggering 52-and-a-half years in regular service, 40 of them on board or in support of the Submarine Service.

On February 12 the Marine Engineer from Lincolnshire will finally hang-up his overalls for good, but before then there was a poignant farewell to a major part of his life – submarines.
Perry, who served with submarines HMS Valiant, Sceptre, Sovereign, Splendid and Torbay during his lengthy career, stepped-off a submarine alongside HM Naval Base Clyde for the final time on Friday, December 18.

“What I will miss the most is the everyday challenge and the people,” said Perry. “It has been a genuine privilege to serve on submarines and to work with a tight-knit team who are focussed on the same goals – getting boats to sea.”
Joining the Royal Navy in 1968 aged just 15-and-a-half, Perry began his career as a Junior Marine Engineer Mechanic (Stoker). His first draft was to the World War Two era ship HMS Ulster – a U-Class destroyer converted to a Type 15 frigate. This was followed by service on HMS Leopard, a Type 14 frigate, and HMS Llandaff.

“HMS Ulster was used as a navigation training ship then so there were some great opportunities to sail all around the UK coast,” recalled Perry. “As a Junior Stoker I had to do external and internal boiler cleans and make sure that tubes were cleaned. The ship used a fuel oil that was like treacle so it was a pretty dirty job.
“In those days everyone lined-up on deck on payday and we were all paid in cash. I spent 18-months on HMS Ulster and during that time ‘Black Tot Day’ happened – the last time that the daily tot of rum was issued to sailors. I wasn’t old enough to have the tot at the time but I remember there were a few grieving crew members on board.”

Perry later spent time at HMS Sultan, where he was awarded the Institute of Nuclear Engineers’ HMS Sultan Prize, and then joined HMS Dolphin in 1981 where he undertook his initial submarine training. This was followed by nuclear training and assignment to the Third Submarine Squadron and HMS Valiant. After further training and time at sea, Perry eventually qualified as a Category A2 Nuclear Watchkeeper or Chief of Watch, before serving time on board various Swiftsure Class submarines and with HMS Torbay.
In-between service at sea, he has also spent a considerable amount of time at HM Naval Base Clyde, the Home of the UK Submarine Service. The Engineer is a familiar site, usually to be found in overalls down a Reactor Compartment, in a bilge, or heading to his next job within the Naval Base.
The depth of Perry’s knowledge and experience is something which will be sorely missed at the Naval Base.

As well as plaudits from his colleagues at Faslane, Perry also received a specially recorded message by the professional head of the Royal Navy, First Sea Lord Admiral Tony Radakin CB ADC who thanked both Perry and his family for their service.
Perry was also quick to thank his wife and daughter for their support over his career.

During his distinguished career he has been awarded the Iraq Medal, the Operational Service Medal for Operation Veritas, Golden and Diamond Jubilee medals, the Meritorious Service Medal (MSM), his Long Service and Good Conduct badge with three clasps, and has become a member of The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (MBE).

Although records begin to get sketchy past a certain point, it is thought that Warrant Officer Mason’s career is one of the longest in modern times. Both Lord Mountbatten and Admiral Keyes served some 52 years, while Admiral Fisher, who was recalled from retirement, served for 59 years. It is also believed that some Royal Navy Ratings kept on active service during the World Wars also approached Perry’s length of Service.

Perry’s achievement of 52-and-a-half years however is one which is incredibly rare and even more remarkable for most of it having been spent beneath the waves.

“If anyone is thinking of joining the Submarine Service then I would say to them to go for it. You will never work anywhere else quite like it. Every day will be a challenge and the people you work with will be first-class.
“A submarine is an amazing, unique, vessel and the only comparison would be to the space shuttle.

“I have been very lucky to have had the travel opportunities which I’ve had, first in General Service where I got to travel all over the world, and then in the Submarine Service where I got to do it again, except this time underwater!”

An impressive career, and a well-deserved retirement.

A factual point for the Clyde FaceAche people.

"This was followed by service on HMS Leopard, a Type 14 frigate, and HMS Llandaff."

HMS Leopard was a Type 41, and HMS Llandaff a Type 61. But as they were both targets anyway........

:)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS UK is helping indigenous communities in Peten to protect and use their ancient traditional medicine MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ancient mosaic from Roman Dorset at risk of export MoD News 0
MoD_RSS HS2 Ltd's approach to ancient woodlands during the Oakervee Review MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Transport Secretary acts on HS2 ancient woodland clearances during Oakervee review MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Ancient migration mystery could be solved after eels fitted with satellite tags MoD News 0
O Older recruits - Submariner Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
S Submariner Chef Career Progression Joining the Royal Navy 15
A MA branch (submariner) Submariners 7
R CIS Submariner Phase 2 & Sub Training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
R Logistics officer submariner questions Joining the Royal Navy 1
M Medical Assistant (Submariner) Quals Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
L Submariner questions Submariners 58
N Submariner Sea Time? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
4 Any tips for getting in the right frame of mind as a submariner? Joining the Royal Navy 19
X Eyesight requirements for submariner Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
H Joining as a marine engineer (submariner) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
C Weapons engineer Officer application (submariner) Joining the Royal Navy 1
soleil FB: RNRMC - Happy 100th Birthday Harry Melling - Britain's Oldest WW2 Submariner Submariners 2
H Basic training rent, submariner rent in faslane Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
soleil LadBible: "Former Navy Submariner Shares Coping Strategies For Self-Isolation And Social Distancing" Submariners 3
L Advice on whether or not to join as a submariner Joining the Royal Navy 14
soleil NWE Mail: "Submariner Memorial Appeal - Competition To Celebrate The RN Launched By BAE In Barrow" Submariners 7
soleil i News: "'You’re Only Ever 15 minutes Away From Launching A Missile': What It Was Like To Be A Cold War Submariner" Submariners 27
soleil FB: RN Recruitment - An Insight Into The Medical Assistant (Submariner) Role Submariners 0
soleil Refinery 29: "Money Diary - A Submariner On £43k In Her Last Week On Shore For Months" Submariners 17
J Weapons Engineering Officer (submariner) Joining the Royal Navy 2
I MA - GS OR Submariner ?? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
S NSMBOS / EMPLOYABILITY Submariner Health & Fitness 2
C Submariner Wet and Dry Training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
R Submariner medical assistant training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
P Submariner time at sea Submariners 8
Ninja_Stoker ACCELERATED APPRENTICE SCHEME – MARINE, WEAPONS, AIR AND SUBMARINER ENGINEERS - 2018 UPDATE Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 30
P Submariner Nuclear Retention Pay Submariners 16
G warfare submariner Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Antonio555 How much will i really earn? CIS submariner Joining the Royal Navy 8
soleil Telegraph: "Commander Ken Frewer, Submariner – Obituary" Submariners 1
B Writer submariner Joining the Royal Navy 8
S Submariner, Sonar Joining the Royal Navy 37
P What happens when a submariner asks the internet to pay for his wedding? Diamond Lil's 10
A Help Tracing a Submariner Submariners 8
Z Engineering Technician (ME)- Submariner Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
T UGAS Undergraduate Apprenticeship Scheme - Marine/Weapons Engineer Submariner (MESM/WESM) Joining the Royal Navy 74
SA-Sharky Submariner vs Surface for wife Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
K life as a submariner Submariners 3
McHarp Female submariner entry Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 80
SONAR-BENDER A good time to be a submariner? Current Affairs 7
T5igger Submariner advice please Submariners 5
Antonio555 CIS Submariner Submariners 10
Richbomber Submariner Golden Hello £15k Submariners 12
ToonPatriot Logistics Officer - Submariner Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17