Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

An all graduate navy

loftym

Talking with Fred the other night in the RBL Club in Gravesend he suggested there should be an all graduate navy. Nobody caulks decks any more or ties turks Heads The chefs use machines for everything so cybernetics seem to prevail.
Anyway old Fred, twice sunk in WW2 suggested this:-
Degrees --3rd-- AB's and LS equivalent
Upper 2nd --- Petty Officers and equiv.
Upper 1st --- Chief Petty Officers and equiv.
Masters-- Warrant Officers
Doctorates-- Officers up to Commander
Dean-- Captains
Reader--Commodores
Professor ---Admirals
Professor Emeritus--- Admirals of the Fleet
He's a lovely, silly, old boy but he might be on to something.

Hmmmm! Turn the RN into an organisation which mimics academia, that'll work because Colleges and Universities have so got their sh*t together......... not! Leadership anyone?

I certainly havn't got an 'Upper 1st' although probably have a lot more common sense than most that do and indeed would find a solution for them too. Whether they actually listen to that solution or not though is another matter!

Speaking as a graduate it would never work and if it did I am not sure I would have wanted to be part of it. One of the best things about the mob is it's diversity and you would lose so many of the characters that go to make it up! Some of the most boring, self obsessed people I have ever met are graduates and some of the most fun to be with and genuine are not. Too many people take themselves far too seriously nowadays as it is, for God's sake don't encourage them. The mob would end up as PC as a bunch of bloody Tower Hamlets councillors! :thumbdown:

Does that entitle me to be called "Chief" from now on? :lol:

It should also reflect which University/College the candidate has been to. For example in some of the new universities you can get a first with a mark as low as 50% whereas at London Uni you need to get over 70% marks for most of your essays, class presentations and exams.

Perhaps that should be Little Chief for those from the New Unis and Big Chief for the rest of us :biggrin:..... oh yes, and Super Chief for those whose Firsts were from Russell Group Universities.

I always believed in a meritocracy, but it may have it's attractions :wink:
I may even join back up.

Cheers
Admiral Winsk

Qualifications and letters after your name are no measure of your emotional intelligence or common sense for that matter. I know of many highly intelligent people who have absolutely no social skills or ability to relate to other people and totally lacking in common sense.

I also have a very good friend who has nothing in the way of qualifications but now runs his own multi million dollar business.

When it comes to the crunch who would you rather have on your team? Someone who can understand the finer points of Quantam physics but has no idea how to talk to others without alienating themself, or someone who may not seem like the sharpest tool in the shed on paper, but can think on their feet under pressure, communicate easily with others and basically get the job done.

Hmmmm, I know which one I'd choose!!

Latest Threads