An all graduate navy

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by loftym, Nov 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Talking with Fred the other night in the RBL Club in Gravesend he suggested there should be an all graduate navy. Nobody caulks decks any more or ties turks Heads The chefs use machines for everything so cybernetics seem to prevail.
    Anyway old Fred, twice sunk in WW2 suggested this:-
    Degrees --3rd-- AB's and LS equivalent
    Upper 2nd --- Petty Officers and equiv.
    Upper 1st --- Chief Petty Officers and equiv.
    Masters-- Warrant Officers
    Doctorates-- Officers up to Commander
    Dean-- Captains
    Professor ---Admirals
    Professor Emeritus--- Admirals of the Fleet
    He's a lovely, silly, old boy but he might be on to something.
  2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

So will us booties have to do joined up writing now?
  3. Writing?
  4. Then I'll be a Warrant Officer.
    Thank you.
  5. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Hmmmm! Turn the RN into an organisation which mimics academia, that'll work because Colleges and Universities have so got their sh*t together......... not! Leadership anyone?
  6. Nail...Head
  7. Anybody can get a BA, BSc, MA these days! Totally pointless idea me thinks.
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Looks like old Fred has been sunk post WWII also, Norman.
  9. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

I'd be screwed
  10. I certainly havn't got an 'Upper 1st' although probably have a lot more common sense than most that do and indeed would find a solution for them too. Whether they actually listen to that solution or not though is another matter!
  11. You can Curse-- But Cursive? That would be asking rather too much!!
  12. Speaking as a graduate it would never work and if it did I am not sure I would have wanted to be part of it. One of the best things about the mob is it's diversity and you would lose so many of the characters that go to make it up! Some of the most boring, self obsessed people I have ever met are graduates and some of the most fun to be with and genuine are not. Too many people take themselves far too seriously nowadays as it is, for God's sake don't encourage them. The mob would end up as PC as a bunch of bloody Tower Hamlets councillors! :thumbdown:
  13. Does that entitle me to be called "Chief" from now on? :lol:

It should also reflect which University/College the candidate has been to. For example in some of the new universities you can get a first with a mark as low as 50% whereas at London Uni you need to get over 70% marks for most of your essays, class presentations and exams.

Perhaps that should be Little Chief for those from the New Unis and Big Chief for the rest of us :biggrin:..... oh yes, and Super Chief for those whose Firsts were from Russell Group Universities.
  14. I always believed in a meritocracy, but it may have it's attractions :wink:
    I may even join back up.

Admiral Winsk
  15. Qualifications and letters after your name are no measure of your emotional intelligence or common sense for that matter. I know of many highly intelligent people who have absolutely no social skills or ability to relate to other people and totally lacking in common sense.

I also have a very good friend who has nothing in the way of qualifications but now runs his own multi million dollar business.

When it comes to the crunch who would you rather have on your team? Someone who can understand the finer points of Quantam physics but has no idea how to talk to others without alienating themself, or someone who may not seem like the sharpest tool in the shed on paper, but can think on their feet under pressure, communicate easily with others and basically get the job done.

Hmmmm, I know which one I'd choose!!
  16. Yes I'm sure we need more debates every time an order, should that be request, is made?
    Well pinged Ninja. Chalk yourself up a point.
    Norman feck off.
  17. Rather strange, Rum Ration. Two of its most ardent supporters have deserted these shores The NZ Bootneck who served something short of a dog watch and the ex-submariner who now lives the dolce vita on the Iberian peninsular. They liked it so much--They left Strange -But true
  18. Who's a clever bunny then?
  19. Hm, another thing that is rather strange is that this exact same post was posted by LoftyNormaBowline in another thread. I treated it with the respect it deserved and ignored it. Plagiarising yourself now Norma?
    It just gets sadder and sadder.
  20. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

You need 85% or above to obtain a 1st with the Open University and you need 70% or above for a 2:1.