An Advertising Issue

Discussion in 'Site Issues' started by BreathingOutOnTheWayUp, May 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ================================

================================

RR 'member' ForcesJobShop

Every so often that c/s fires off a broadside of vacancies which effectively pushes every other post down and off the Last Fifty listings. Few, if any, of their individual threads attact any response at RR: No discussion, feed back or result is apparent. (This is understandable as any interested applicant would contact them direct.) What with the last 50+ and Search functions being what they are this is somewhat irritating.

I appreciate that, what with natural wastage and the current redundancy tranche, there is aways a need for such employment agencies to tote their wares wherever they can. But, although they are a registered 'RR Contributor', their sole raison d'etre is to make money from employers seeking staff.

Whilst the site needs revenue perhaps ForcesJobShop should pay for appearing here and then tote their wares in their true colours as Advertisers, NOT Contributors.

I humbly suggest that the Owners/Administrators re-consider their RR registration as they appear to be getting gratis advertising whilst cluttering up this website.:-|

ie If 'Joe Bloggs's Car Pikey Scrappy' were to register and open up a new thread for every single hub cap or half shaft up for sale would they be accepted here, too?

........I need to know as I do have some spare Tarmac going cheaply.:wink:

Bob

2. Don't suppose you have an awning for Pennine Sovereign folding camper?

3. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Well, bugger me with a wet hedgehog - there is a first time for everything!!! :)

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Now you come to mention it, the hedgehog concept is also a first in Naval circles. :toothy5:

5. Yup, with slack ******* it's usually a Christmas tree.^_~

6. Thanks for raising the issue and sorry that its causing you angst of the wet hedgehog variety!

We should have made it clear that FJS does sponsor the site so they do make a significant contribution to keeping us online. You may have noticed the jobs tab at the top and the occasional banners through the site. I've amended their user so it is clear that they are sponsors so hopefully no-one else will get confused.

Probably also worth making the point that I know the two guys who run FJS very well. Obviously they're in this with a view to keeping the wolf from the door but I have no doubt that they are also interested in providing a good service to guys looking to move into other employment. They spend a lot of time at career transition workshops, etc so others can probably verify this point of view.

Personally I didn't think that 3-4 threads a day was OTT but I'm happy to be told otherwise!

7. OK we'll forget it this time, but just remember that Christmas tree:evil4:

8. Thank you, Badders.

I am back in my box with those tender, clay-roasted a la Pikey, Humble-Hedgehog-Pie Sandwiches.

Bob

PS Parting Suggestion: Maybe just the one Thread then for that c/s, perhaps with a generic ie "Jobs Available" title?

That would reduce the Last 50+ clutter of which I spoke and whenever a new position(s) came up that Thread would arrive at the top of the pile......

9. Don't forget......the 'Rough-End of a Pineapple' also brings a tear to the eye

10. mein gott not the pineapple spiky end first. Hmmmmmmmmmmm interesting

11. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

I don't mind the 'job' threads and have a look at any which interest me.

Beats the crap out of the 'how long?' threads.