Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Americans Prefer Not to Know

AfterSSE

War Hero
nutty_bag said:
I would say that the main problem here was the rush to overthrow Saddam without thinking of the consequences afterwards. I.E winning the peace. I read somewhere (try to find thread) that there was nowhere in the game plan after the invasion for keeping law and order and winning the hearts and minds of the population. A major flaw in U.S strtegy in Vietnam. To me this now seems like an afterthought/oversite of all armed forces concerned in this war. With the growing mistrust between the religious groups and the major problem of insurgents, this indeed should have been one of the most important aspects of the invasion.

NB

The minute they disarmed the Iraqi army is when they made the mistake and allowed the pillaging to take place...if they had of been smart they would have immediately created units of the Iraqi army to provide security throughout Baghdad, I would be willing to bet, that the vast majority of the army had no stomach to fight and proved it by how fast they rolled over, that should have told the Military brass that they could have used these troops to supplement the US/UK forces.

I still believe IMHO even after everything is said and done that these people cannot grasp the concept of "democracy", they are tribal and it will be eons before they can set aside petty differences and work together, this is why there is a civil war there now.

I can see a UN Peacekeeping mission coming up akin to Cyprus, split right down the middle with a buffer zone to keep the Shia's and Sunni's apart, or why not split the country into three parts...Kurds to the North (will really piss off the Turks) and the other two factions can split the South..there will never be a democracy as we know it in Iraq, and if we were smart, we should have made a right turn on the Baghdad highway and headed straight for Tehran, that's where the problem exists... :evil:

just my 0.02 Cdn (before exchange).. :lol:

I don't think they did disarm the Iraqi Army they disbanded them but I think they were all allowed to keep their personal weapons.--for self protection.

They would've done better to have kept the Iraqi Government as was
minus Saddam as the ruling body. By totally disbanding the police/local government etc they left a lot of people unemployed .
Trying to form a democratic state immediately after wrecking the infrastructure only works when the people are willing . At the moment the tribal and religeous differences in Iraq are reasons for civil war.
Also to allot regions as tribal etc areas wouldn't neccessarily work either due to the religeous shrines being in various places --it would be another non ending conflict similar to whats happening in Palestine and Isreal.

So I would suggest ------------------- Bring back the Ba'ath party and give them the means to create a multinational/multirace /multi religeoous
society . They managed it before .[pity the western world couldn't see why they had to do what they had to do!!]

msgsmiley

War Hero
The quality of the posts just went into the crapper with the appearance of the Twerp Moondog. Go ahead and throw a Benny over your Melvin Moonie.

"The boss cow has arrived. Watch the herd follow." Mooooo

USMC

Badgeman
It's not that we prefer not to know.........it's just the we don't give a ****!
With all the American bashing...what do you expect?
Ya!, Bush is a moron & we shouldn't be in Iraq, but Afghan is a good fight and right fight. With the fall of communism Europe dosen't need the U.S. That's fine with us. So when you you ask why we don't care now you know. Just dont't call us..........nobody will answer the phone. (Hear that FRANCE, GERMANY?) You are two lost countries anyway! You're not worth saving anyway!

Bergen

ADC
USMC said:
It's not that we prefer not to know.........it's just the we don't give a ****!
With all the American bashing...what do you expect?
Ya!, Bush is a moron & we shouldn't be in Iraq, but Afghan is a good fight and right fight. With the fall of communism Europe dosen't need the U.S. That's fine with us. So when you you ask why we don't care now you know. Just dont't call us..........nobody will answer the phone. (Hear that FRANCE, GERMANY?) You are two lost countries anyway! You're not worth saving anyway!

Mon Dieu mon petit vous sont un cornichon!

RM

Anyone who has visited Stateside in a Royal Navy ship can vouch for the fantastic hospitality received wherever they go. The local newspapers are always full of welcoming headlines, invitations to events, special discounts and offers of free entry to local hostelries and other facilities, not to mention all the private offers of 'up-homers' or days out.

Contrast this with US Navy visits to the UK where the headlines usually concentrate on what this means for the local economy e.g. "The Fleet's In - Local Businesses Rub Their Hands with Glee" or "The Cash Registers will be Ringing in Portsmouth/Plymouth this Weekend." Apart from the usual influx of prossies, who else welcomes them? No wonder the Yanks usually head for the Smoke. Don't blame 'em.
They're at it again. More 'what's in it for us?'

Latest Threads