Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Americans Prefer Not to Know

msgsmiley

War Hero
Jarhead, I know a lot more locations as I live here since 1943. Don't tell anyone but you Marines take Artillary training at Ft. Sill, Armor at Ft. Knox, Logistics at Ft. Lee, Para at Ft. Benning, Communications at Ft. Gordon. Oh, and these are all Army posts now are they not. Bubba Bergen, you insulted my service from day one calling me a Vietnam War looser, 56,000 deaths for what? Made fun of my country and my service and you come over here to make a living? Cornwall not good enough for you? You profess to know everythoing about evrything and you do know a little, but not once have I told you or anyone else how messed up your country is or impuned anyones military service. Quite the contrary. But you can tell Americans how to vote, how to think, and even can tell them that their military service sucks. You all yell outrage when you are called out on it. Well you can just take it and shove it where the sun don't shine. Jarhead, join them cause you have learned nothing.

msgsmiley

War Hero
Bubba, You cannot carry on an intelligent conversation with an American because you hate too much. You can sure tell us how to do everything and when you are called out on your harebrained views you explode in personal attacks. Why can't you make a living in your paradise of a country? You wouldn't know about draftees because you are too wet behind the ears to remember that day and age. Why denigrate them? They served honorably. I happen to be a professional soldier and did more than just a few years unlike you. Come and earn a living here, but we do not have to take you rude insults and advice. You cannot take it when someone stands up to your rudeness. Everyone bow down to Emperor Bubba, the worlds know it all.

Bergen

ADC
Seems as if some of the more forward thinkers in the US Military are now admitting what many people already suspected. This link is an article written by Lieutenant-Colonel Paul Yingling and it's indicative of the fact that, apart from the usual right-wing nut-jobs, the US general public is finally waking up to the disaster in Iraq.

ARTICLE> http://www.armedforcesjournal.com/2007/05/2635198

Interesting point in the article is that Yingling directly links the performance of the US Army generals in Iraq with the debacle of a previous generation in Vietnam.

When the Journal of the US Armed Forces prints articles like this people pay attention.

RM

Jarhead

War Hero
Actually Bergs, the US military has been very proactive in forcing the Government to have defined strategies for every situation they put us in (ie, how to go in, how to do it, how to get out). and the chief of staff either waffled when bush ordered him to go in or bush overrode him.

Bergen

ADC
Jarhead said:
Actually Bergs, the US military has been very proactive in forcing the Government to have defined strategies for every situation they put us in (ie, how to go in, how to do it, how to get out). and the chief of staff either waffled when bush ordered him to go in or bush overrode him.

Agree entirely sir. I think that one of the points that Yingling makes very well is that US senior officers were reluctant to tell their civilian masters the full-story [warts and all] especially after Shinseki was fired for having the temerity to tell Rumsfled the truth about required troop numbers.

I see very similar problems in the United Kingdom; there were senior officers who knew full well that Iraq was not a danger to the West and that the entire premise for invading was fundamentally flawed - yet they did not have the moral courage to call bullsh*t on the enterprise. It's shocking to see brave soldiers risking and giving their lives whilst their leaders would rather protect pensions and knighthoods by remaining quiet. The few senior British officers who have risked sticking their heads above the parapet have only done so after they are safely in retirement.

RM

nutty_bag

War Hero
I would say that the main problem here was the rush to overthrow Saddam without thinking of the consequences afterwards. I.E winning the peace. I read somewhere (try to find thread) that there was nowhere in the game plan after the invasion for keeping law and order and winning the hearts and minds of the population. A major flaw in U.S strtegy in Vietnam. To me this now seems like an afterthought/oversite of all armed forces concerned in this war. With the growing mistrust between the religious groups and the major problem of insurgents, this indeed should have been one of the most important aspects of the invasion.

NB

quin

Midshipman
Thank ferk I have managed to finish this thread my arse was beginning to go numb.
Wasn't Yingling in the Goon show or some thing like that? Definitely wasn't at Bickleigh.
Bindu -Woof!
Old MSG is a dag isn't he just.