Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

american officer at UK charity function

huckfinne

I'm an American naval officer attending a charity function with my fiancee, a Brit, in July in the UK. The event is black tie. I plan to wear mess dress defined as Dinner Dress Blue Jacket for us without any medals. Am I making the right choice? We would normally wear a white jacket for a summer function, but I'm thinking that you guys typically don't wear whites in the UK. We would also wear the medals, but I'm thinking for a civilian function such would be a bit to much. Thanks for any advice.

Blood

MIA
There is no hard and fast rule. For RN events, they usually state if a white mess jacket is allowed (only usually for a summer ball in the UK), also at a ball you wear white waistcoat (mess dress 2As), for any other function black waistcoat or cummerbund (mess undress 2Bs)
http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.3763 .
For a civillian event, stated black tie, I would wear a black jacket, bright cummerbund with medals. Surely for you shipmate, white or black jacket, as look as it looked smart. But I would think anyone else going in mess dress would wear a black jacket.

Capn_Pugwash

War Hero
Ditto all above.

However, bear in mind that your summer is probably about 15 Deg C above ours!

Is your mess kit tight, or can you fit arctic thermal under it?

chieftiff

War Hero
I'm sure someone currently in the know will come along and let you know the protocol if there is one, meanwhile have a scan through these and see if something catches your eye :dwarf:

White Uniforms

Blue Uniforms

There are guidance notes below each column.

penrecon

Lantern Swinger
As you rightly say White Uniforms aren't worn in the UK, so I would say go in Blue Jacket, normally this would be worn with medals (miniatures) by RN Officers.

Blood

MIA
Full whites arent worn in this country, HOWEVER, as I stated earlier, a white mess jacket may be worn (in the UK) in summer at the descretion of the XO/The CDR or CO. Clearly there in the BR shipmate.

penrecon

Lantern Swinger
Blood said:
Full whites arent worn in this country, HOWEVER, as I stated earlier, a white mess jacket may be worn (in the UK) in summer at the descretion of the XO/The CDR or CO. Clearly there in the BR shipmate.

Yes, so what I should have said whites aren't routinely worn, so in trying to advise our American friend I was making the statement that I think his Blue Jacket would be most appropriate. The BR does allow it, but it's not really relevant to the question of what to wear to a civilian function.

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Hmm, THIS is definitely a good career move... :wink: :twisted:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Extra UK support to Central American hurricane response MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMA consults on BA and American Airlines commitments MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Bell from American ship destroyed in Second World War going home MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UKEF supports Startle’s expansion into the American market MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Invasive Species Week: American skunk cabbage creates a stink MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Department for International Trade supports Latin American and Caribbean investors MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Red Arrows' North American Display list revealed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Date announced for Red Arrows American tour MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Flagship AI Lab announced as Defence Secretary hosts first meet between British and American defence innovators MoD News 0
Stirlin Frankie Boyles American autopsy. Diamond Lil's 0
SONAR-BENDER American Indian on RN WW1 submarine History 10
FAAFLYNAVY American Airbases Being Closed! Current Affairs 16
MG Maniac Proof at last that American beer is f**king close to water! Diamond Lil's 26
M Life on board an American aircraft carrier off the coast of Iran The Quarterdeck 8
Norway Chris royal-marines-wearing-american-uniform The Corps 9
blondemolotov American advice to help you decide where to go... Travel & The Great Outdoors 5
Chaz American geography is awesome! The Gash Barge 27
N American ICEX Submariners 0
Topstop Gucci American STC kit? Diamond Lil's 2
A An American Bill Clinton Joke Miscellaneous 0
BillyNoMates Ice cream advert (American naturally). Diamond Lil's 7
Drakey Unbelievable football (American) Sports and Adventure Training 0
The_Jimmy A Better American Hero's Funeral The Quarterdeck 5
witsend Daft American comedies Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 12
Cpt_Black Who wants to be an American idiot? The Internet - Best and Worst 3
T Piracy and American Intervention (Mark II) Bloody Computers 0
Pete_N Piracy and American Intervention Current Affairs 80
Naval_Gazer American Top Gun fighter pilot academy set up by British The Fleet Air Arm 6
Nails Why do american marines go hooo raaaaa? The Corps 22
Cpt_Black The American Navy Diamond Lil's 7
chockhead819 Brave American - Munter alert Diamond Lil's 3
supermario NFL American Football - Wembley - Sunday PM Sports and Adventure Training 0
supermario NFL American Football - Wembley - Sunday PM - Tickets Sports and Adventure Training 3
Tas-ape American Law Court Anecdotes and other Trivia The Gash Barge 0
BillyNoMates Okay I know its American but..... Submariners 1
L American Comic Books vs British Comic Books Hobbies & The Great Indoors 39
S American humour Diamond Lil's 4
Proud_2_B_RN American navy spoof Diamond Lil's 0
brazenhussy American tv is taking over! Diamond Lil's 46
silverfox How Blair was moulded by the American way.... The Quarterdeck 0
higthepig For our American cousins Diamond Lil's 22
FNUSNU American Polemicist Slams 'Royal Marine [email protected]' Current Affairs 4
JunglyDaz American failings.... Current Affairs 6
Tas-ape NEW AMERICAN VESSEL???? The Quarterdeck 7
Tas-ape American Diplomacy Diamond Lil's 1
slim American Elections Diamond Lil's 16
The_Caretaker Scotsman American and a Irishman Diamond Lil's 0
B Last American Titanic survivor dies. Current Affairs 3
D108 Mods, what happended to the American prides thread re F35&#0 Current Affairs 2
A Give up the Ghost - American Navy Biggest, Baddest, Bestest The Fleet 86