American geography is awesome!

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by Chaz, Jan 31, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I posted this on FB last night and had 2 Americans who genuinely didn't know what was wrong with the picture!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Could've been worse - our Colonial friends could've used this version:

• Like Like x 2
  3. [​IMG]

Here's Ronnie version!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Attached Files:

5. I want to know if 'Dusky' was allowed to visit his grandchildren.

Frankly appears to have a hint of racism about it...
  6. I'll put money on it, that many of the product of British comprehensive education would also find nothing wrong with that picture. ....... but they sure as fcuk know what Cheryl had for breakfast. :slow:
  7. Magda

Magda War Hero Book Reviewer

I'm afraid even educated Americans sometimes leave me astonished by their sheer ignorance.

I was lucky enough to study abroad in Europe for a year and met some very pleasant Americans in my Halls of Residence. A group of friends, two Americans included, and I decided to travel over a holiday weekend. When we got to the youth hostel, I began to chat to the New Zealander booking us in about which Island she came from etc.

The Americans were listening and after we were given our passports etc back I was asked the following:

"Do you know her? She's English, right? She sounds just like you..."

"So England (?!) has a North and South Island?"

"Is he Scottish?" (About an Australian lad who was staying at the Youth Hostel)

I know discerning between the many English-speaking accents is very hard for foreigners but they don't often speak English as their first language.
  8. Two New Zealanders...... one says 'Whats a hindu'..........other says....'lays eggs'.....:slow:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. While I readily accept that Septics know little or nothing about the location of other countries around the world and even less about the people who inhabit them from what I have witnessed on TV quizzes the population of the UK are heading in the same direction.On a recent edition of the programme "Who Dares Wins" a couple in their 30s struggled to name 8 British counties and I am certain they were not isolated examples.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. And the US is bigger than most of W Europe put together - I'd like y'all to point to Turin (or Indiana) without looking it up first.
  11. Magda

Magda War Hero Book Reviewer

I'd argue - perhaps wrongly - that a fair few Brits could point to where Washington DC is on a blank map of the US, ATG. Maybe?
  12. To be fair, the people who appear on such shows are invariably fuckwits.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. A - I doubt it
    B - why would they care where London is? Seriously, for all the shit they get, they are still the single most powerful country in the world. They have more types of environment in one country than we can achieve in an entire continent. Why bother learning about London (Red buses, the Queen and guardsmen right), when you can have LA, Texas, Yellowstone Park, The Rockies, NYNY, Boston, Miami, all without having to get a passport.
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Yeah, but they're 'British' fuckwits ! :slow:
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Must admit I got to thinking last night ... if thats where the Septics think London is ... I hope the bloke that sets the coordinates in their inter-continental ballistic missiles isn't working from the same sort of map .... but it would explain a few of the freindly fire episodes!
  16. On a similar note, how many Man.Utd. "fans" could point to Manchester on a map? :sad3: :slow:
    • Like Like x 4
  17. That ones easy .... Fountain Lake Jetty the last time I looked awaiting disposal!:-D:-D
    • Like Like x 1
  18. That's an easy game Monty.It's them and us, 100% score.
    • Like Like x 1