Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

American geography is awesome!

Chaz

MIA
I posted this on FB last night and had 2 Americans who genuinely didn't know what was wrong with the picture!

Attachments

• 402291_10151197625345401_609100400_22059803_1600150878_n.jpg
    402291_10151197625345401_609100400_22059803_1600150878_n.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 219

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Could've been worse - our Colonial friends could've used this version:

junglynx

Midshipman
I want to know if 'Dusky' was allowed to visit his grandchildren.

Frankly appears to have a hint of racism about it...

Flagdeck

War Hero
I posted this on FB last night and had 2 Americans who genuinely didn't know what was wrong with the picture!

I'll put money on it, that many of the product of British comprehensive education would also find nothing wrong with that picture. ....... but they sure as fcuk know what Cheryl had for breakfast. :slow:

Magda

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I'm afraid even educated Americans sometimes leave me astonished by their sheer ignorance.

I was lucky enough to study abroad in Europe for a year and met some very pleasant Americans in my Halls of Residence. A group of friends, two Americans included, and I decided to travel over a holiday weekend. When we got to the youth hostel, I began to chat to the New Zealander booking us in about which Island she came from etc.

The Americans were listening and after we were given our passports etc back I was asked the following:

"Do you know her? She's English, right? She sounds just like you..."

"So England (?!) has a North and South Island?"

"Is he Scottish?" (About an Australian lad who was staying at the Youth Hostel)

I know discerning between the many English-speaking accents is very hard for foreigners but they don't often speak English as their first language.

fishhead

War Hero
While I readily accept that Septics know little or nothing about the location of other countries around the world and even less about the people who inhabit them from what I have witnessed on TV quizzes the population of the UK are heading in the same direction.On a recent edition of the programme "Who Dares Wins" a couple in their 30s struggled to name 8 British counties and I am certain they were not isolated examples.

Magda

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I'd argue - perhaps wrongly - that a fair few Brits could point to where Washington DC is on a blank map of the US, ATG. Maybe?

G

guestm

While I readily accept that Septics know little or nothing about the location of other countries around the world and even less about the people who inhabit them from what I have witnessed on TV quizzes the population of the UK are heading in the same direction.On a recent edition of the programme "Who Dares Wins" a couple in their 30s struggled to name 8 British counties and I am certain they were not isolated examples.

To be fair, the people who appear on such shows are invariably fuckwits.

I'd argue - perhaps wrongly - that a fair few Brits could point to where Washington DC is on a blank map of the US, ATG. Maybe?

A - I doubt it
B - why would they care where London is? Seriously, for all the shit they get, they are still the single most powerful country in the world. They have more types of environment in one country than we can achieve in an entire continent. Why bother learning about London (Red buses, the Queen and guardsmen right), when you can have LA, Texas, Yellowstone Park, The Rockies, NYNY, Boston, Miami, all without having to get a passport.

MG Maniac

War Hero
Must admit I got to thinking last night ... if thats where the Septics think London is ... I hope the bloke that sets the coordinates in their inter-continental ballistic missiles isn't working from the same sort of map .... but it would explain a few of the freindly fire episodes!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Travel from South American destinations, Portugal, Panama and Cape Verde banned to prevent spread of new variant MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Extra UK support to Central American hurricane response MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMA consults on BA and American Airlines commitments MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Bell from American ship destroyed in Second World War going home MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UKEF supports Startle’s expansion into the American market MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Invasive Species Week: American skunk cabbage creates a stink MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Department for International Trade supports Latin American and Caribbean investors MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Red Arrows' North American Display list revealed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Date announced for Red Arrows American tour MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Flagship AI Lab announced as Defence Secretary hosts first meet between British and American defence innovators MoD News 0
Stirlin Frankie Boyles American autopsy. Diamond Lil's 0
SONAR-BENDER American Indian on RN WW1 submarine History 10
FAAFLYNAVY American Airbases Being Closed! Current Affairs 16
MG Maniac Proof at last that American beer is f**king close to water! Diamond Lil's 26
M Life on board an American aircraft carrier off the coast of Iran The Quarterdeck 8
Norway Chris royal-marines-wearing-american-uniform The Corps 9
blondemolotov American advice to help you decide where to go... Travel & The Great Outdoors 5
N American ICEX Submariners 0
Topstop Gucci American STC kit? Diamond Lil's 2
A An American Bill Clinton Joke Miscellaneous 0
BillyNoMates Ice cream advert (American naturally). Diamond Lil's 7
Drakey Unbelievable football (American) Sports and Adventure Training 0
The_Jimmy A Better American Hero's Funeral The Quarterdeck 5
witsend Daft American comedies Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 12
Cpt_Black Who wants to be an American idiot? The Internet - Best and Worst 3
T Piracy and American Intervention (Mark II) Bloody Computers 0
Pete_N Piracy and American Intervention Current Affairs 80
Naval_Gazer American Top Gun fighter pilot academy set up by British The Fleet Air Arm 6
Nails Why do american marines go hooo raaaaa? The Corps 22
Cpt_Black The American Navy Diamond Lil's 7
chockhead819 Brave American - Munter alert Diamond Lil's 3
supermario NFL American Football - Wembley - Sunday PM Sports and Adventure Training 0
supermario NFL American Football - Wembley - Sunday PM - Tickets Sports and Adventure Training 3
Tas-ape American Law Court Anecdotes and other Trivia The Gash Barge 0
BillyNoMates Okay I know its American but..... Submariners 1
H american officer at UK charity function Charity 7
L American Comic Books vs British Comic Books Hobbies & The Great Indoors 39
S American humour Diamond Lil's 4
Proud_2_B_RN American navy spoof Diamond Lil's 0
brazenhussy American tv is taking over! Diamond Lil's 46
silverfox How Blair was moulded by the American way.... The Quarterdeck 0
higthepig For our American cousins Diamond Lil's 22
FNUSNU American Polemicist Slams 'Royal Marine [email protected]' Current Affairs 4
JunglyDaz American failings.... Current Affairs 6
Tas-ape NEW AMERICAN VESSEL???? The Quarterdeck 7
Tas-ape American Diplomacy Diamond Lil's 1
slim American Elections Diamond Lil's 16
The_Caretaker Scotsman American and a Irishman Diamond Lil's 0
B Last American Titanic survivor dies. Current Affairs 3
D108 Mods, what happended to the American prides thread re F35&#0 Current Affairs 2