Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

American Airbases Being Closed!

FAAFLYNAVY

Lantern Swinger
With the breaking news that the USAF are closing most of the UK bases "although this has been common knowledge in the area for some time" is this the sign that the Americans are now pulling up the drawbridge & going into fortress America mode? & have no intention of carrying on trying to be the worlds policeman/peacekeepers?

With the election looming & it's looking more like another coalition on the cards + the SDSR 2015/2020 in view the UK will soon have to make up it's mind where it's true allegiance lays.

We won't be big enough to stand alone, so it's either with the EU or US & I'm wondering if the US is now trying to link up more with the mainland EU as it will have a much larger military to call on if required.

Just a thought!

Last edited:

Phd8511

Midshipman
Well, and so the UK is not the only one cutting its defence. Why no one here asking for US foreign aid to be cut?

drewfester

Lantern Swinger
I read they are moving the tankers to Germany. Is this a suck up to Merkle or a precursor to the uk leaving the EU?

Ships_Cat

War Hero
On the upside, prolly means some USAF detachments to crab bases, they like to keep a footprint for rapid deployment without actually owning and operating the whole thing.

G

guestm

Firstly, who in the blue hell are the AAF?

Secondly, the USAF isn't shutting up shop. This is as a result of a financial review of where money can be saved. For what they have, the USAF is spread thin in the UK and it's more cost effective to be a bit smarter about how things are done. There is a new facility at Croughton which the geeks will be moving to.

It's simply a reshuffle and other than the loss of jobs isn't really that newsworthy.

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
We won't be big enough to stand alone, so it's either with the EU or US & I'm wondering if the US is now trying to link up more with the mainland EU as it will have a much larger military to call on if required.

I trust you are not mistaking "much larger" for "more effective"? ;)

RAF Alconbury is a few miles from me and has just been an accommodation base for years. The airfield is being developed into a massive housing and industrial estate with a new train station on the Kings Cross line (Alconbury Weald).

Mildenhall is a stones throw from Lakenheath, I could never understand why they had two bases so close. The USAF F35 are going there and will not be to far from Marham.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topstop

War Hero
RAF Alconbury is a few miles from me and has just been an accommodation base for years. The airfield is being developed into a massive housing and industrial estate with a new train station on the Kings Cross line (Alconbury Weald).

Mildenhall is a stones throw from Lakenheath, I could never understand why they had two bases so close. The USAF F35 are going there and will not be to far from Marham.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spare runway for emergencies, Lynham had Wroughton

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Firstly, who in the blue hell are the AAF?

Secondly, the USAF isn't shutting up shop. This is as a result of a financial review of where money can be saved. For what they have, the USAF is spread thin in the UK and it's more cost effective to be a bit smarter about how things are done. There is a new facility at Croughton which the geeks will be moving to.

It's simply a reshuffle and other than the loss of jobs isn't really that newsworthy.

I was wondering that, I know AAF changed his name back to Stirlin but I didn't realise he had the power to shut bases down :eek:

pg55555

Lantern Swinger
Depending on the month, the US is either trying to move its European forces vaguely eastwards to back up its anti-Russian expansion policy - OR - it is trying to run down its European forces to expand its forces in the Middle East and Pacific.

Basically, the US hawks keep changing their minds over which particular threat pubicised by the right-wing press they are going to prioritise. The USAF SEEMS to be concentrating on Germany as its main base area for "Europe".

WE SHOULD NOT LAUGH - we've had to ask for help AGAIN because of a possible Russian submarine off Scotland.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS CMA consults on BA and American Airlines commitments MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Bell from American ship destroyed in Second World War going home MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UKEF supports Startle’s expansion into the American market MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Invasive Species Week: American skunk cabbage creates a stink MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Department for International Trade supports Latin American and Caribbean investors MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Red Arrows' North American Display list revealed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Date announced for Red Arrows American tour MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Flagship AI Lab announced as Defence Secretary hosts first meet between British and American defence innovators MoD News 0
Stirlin Frankie Boyles American autopsy. Diamond Lil's 0
SONAR-BENDER American Indian on RN WW1 submarine History 10
MG Maniac Proof at last that American beer is f**king close to water! Diamond Lil's 26
M Life on board an American aircraft carrier off the coast of Iran The Quarterdeck 8
Norway Chris royal-marines-wearing-american-uniform The Corps 9
blondemolotov American advice to help you decide where to go... Travel & The Great Outdoors 5
Chaz American geography is awesome! The Gash Barge 27
N American ICEX Submariners 0
Topstop Gucci American STC kit? Diamond Lil's 2
A An American Bill Clinton Joke Miscellaneous 0
BillyNoMates Ice cream advert (American naturally). Diamond Lil's 7
Drakey Unbelievable football (American) Sports and Adventure Training 0
The_Jimmy A Better American Hero's Funeral The Quarterdeck 5
witsend Daft American comedies Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 12
Cpt_Black Who wants to be an American idiot? The Internet - Best and Worst 3
T Piracy and American Intervention (Mark II) Bloody Computers 0
Pete_N Piracy and American Intervention Current Affairs 80
Naval_Gazer American Top Gun fighter pilot academy set up by British The Fleet Air Arm 6
Nails Why do american marines go hooo raaaaa? The Corps 22
Cpt_Black The American Navy Diamond Lil's 7
chockhead819 Brave American - Munter alert Diamond Lil's 3
supermario NFL American Football - Wembley - Sunday PM Sports and Adventure Training 0
supermario NFL American Football - Wembley - Sunday PM - Tickets Sports and Adventure Training 3
Tas-ape American Law Court Anecdotes and other Trivia The Gash Barge 0
BillyNoMates Okay I know its American but..... Submariners 1
H american officer at UK charity function Charity 7
L American Comic Books vs British Comic Books Hobbies & The Great Indoors 39
S American humour Diamond Lil's 4
Proud_2_B_RN American navy spoof Diamond Lil's 0
brazenhussy American tv is taking over! Diamond Lil's 46
silverfox How Blair was moulded by the American way.... The Quarterdeck 0
higthepig For our American cousins Diamond Lil's 22
FNUSNU American Polemicist Slams 'Royal Marine [email protected]' Current Affairs 4
JunglyDaz American failings.... Current Affairs 6
Tas-ape NEW AMERICAN VESSEL???? The Quarterdeck 7
Tas-ape American Diplomacy Diamond Lil's 1
slim American Elections Diamond Lil's 16
The_Caretaker Scotsman American and a Irishman Diamond Lil's 0
B Last American Titanic survivor dies. Current Affairs 3
D108 Mods, what happended to the American prides thread re F35&#0 Current Affairs 2
A Give up the Ghost - American Navy Biggest, Baddest, Bestest The Fleet 86
J Likelyhood of being able to switch roles Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6