Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Ambassador for Peace

N

Nippit

The French started it with their Legion d'Honneur for surviving D Day veterans and the Koreans have followed up with their Ambassador for Peace Award. The Korean Government have also offered my wife and me an all-expenses paid week's holiday. Twelve hours flying is a bit too much for us so we've had to turn it down. It took me 5 weeks to get out there originally on the Dilwara.

Daps. Nippit is 81 I suspect he fought in the Korean war and has been offerred the holiday in recognition of his service.

Daps. Nippit is 81 I suspect he fought in the Korean war and has been offerred the holiday in recognition of his service.
I get that, but I couldn't see the point of his post. Was it just to say that he's been offered a free holiday, but can't go? Or that he's a Korea veteran?
I guess @superpom has an insight that I don't.

Someone must have done it for me but contact the Embassy in London asking for the Defence Attache Captain Seungeon Ji.
Providing your RNA Branch man has been awarded the UN Korea Medal he will qualify. If he has just the British Korea Medal (Merchant Service or similar) he won't.
They are the most courteous of people.

Our RBL president is a Korean War veteran (RAMC, UK version of MASH when he was there).

He had an all expenses trip back there not long ago, courtesy of the Korean government. Said he was treated with great respect by all.

The French started it with their Legion d'Honneur for surviving D Day veterans and the Koreans have followed up with their Ambassador for Peace Award. The Korean Government have also offered my wife and me an all-expenses paid week's holiday. Twelve hours flying is a bit too much for us so we've had to turn it down. It took me 5 weeks to get out there originally on the Dilwara.

Nippit, I was in Korea in the 70s on deployment and loved it. In the spirit of being exRN, I'll be happy to pay for the name change on the tickets..........

Nippit, I was in Korea in the 70s on deployment and loved it. In the spirit of being exRN, I'll be happy to pay for the name change on the tickets..........

It's a great shame life is not that simple. I can quite understand you loved it there. Even during that dreadful war the South Koreans were as open and good natured as the North Koreans were ghastly. Nothing has changed to this day. My wife says the reason I got the Award was not due to my RN service but because we own a Hyundai car. Our third.

I liked the capital. Indeed, most impressed. Ah, Seoul!

OK so far, but if you continued "...rules the Navy", you were unlikely to be invited back......

Thank you for your kind support. I wish it was 81 but, sadly, it's 86. The medals shown are mine Artistically rendered into an Avatar by my Granddaughter, Emily

Latest Threads