Amateur boxing groups?

tiddlyoggy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Never heard of it in my experience, but I'm sure you'd be able to train with the squad of whatever base port you're in. I'm fairly certain the RFA don't have a dedicated boxing squad of their own.

Never heard of it in my experience, but I'm sure you'd be able to train with the squad of whatever base port you're in. I'm fairly certain the RFA don't have a dedicated boxing squad of their own.
That's good Hopefully, I'm looking at trying to join as a Deck hand when I get my math skills up (For the rt), I was just wondering because my trainer would be a bit annoyed if I didn't train for 4 months, I suppose if it's not available I could always shadow box in my spare time.

That's good Hopefully, I'm looking at trying to join as a Deck hand when I get my math skills up (For the rt), I was just wondering because my trainer would be a bit annoyed if I didn't train for 4 months, I suppose if it's not available I could always shadow box in my spare time.
Why the RFA in particular, rather than the RN, DWI?

The Fort Vic had some boxers who would get together for boxercise type training a few times a week. It was mostly RN lads from the flight (and one girl), but one or two RFA lads joined in.

We were lucky enough to have an ex RN PTI as one of the RFA crew who would take circuits and all sorts of different training sessions, purely out of the kindness of his heart. There was a weights gym and a few punch bags onboard.

I was more of a table tennis and snooker man myself.

Why the RFA in particular, rather than the RN, DWI?
I'm Medical Unfit for the Armed services due to my Disability (In the process of getting a second opinion for it) The Royal navy recruiter recommended I look into the RFA as it's Civil service and I would be able to join should I pass the RT test and the Medical (Which I have no worries about having looked at it)

tiddlyoggy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
There will more than likely be a punch bag on whatever RFA you are assigned to. Not sure if you'll be able to box, officially in bouts etc, with RN/RM/Army/RAF types as I'm not sure you'd be covered under any 'insurance' rules. Also remember that you'll be 4 months on 4 months off (ish) so you'll not be 'base ported' as such so in your off time you will return home and await your nest ship assignment. There won't be a boxing squad on board I wouldn't have thought.
No, he definitely won't be able to represent the RN. Nothing to do with insurance, just rules.

No, he definitely won't be able to represent the RN. Nothing to do with insurance, just rules.
Having said that, the RFA are quite amenable to people getting together and setting up their own thing. If there isn't already an RFA boxing squad, form your own. I'm sure there are plenty of other people who would be interested and you might even get some support/funding from the RFA. It's up to you to be proactive and sort out things like that and the RFA are generally quite supportive. You never know, if you take it far enough, you might end up getting a bout against an RN team.

Slightly different kettle of fish (excuse the pun) but some of the RFA lads on the George formed a fishing society. They were serious enough about it that the skipper coughed up a grand out of the ship's welfare fund for them to buy tackle.

Scratch that, Just spoke to Recruitment on the phone and they said I need to be experienced to be a deck hand which did not show up for me, Going to have to wait till some positions open

exJenny

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Scratch that, Just spoke to Recruitment on the phone and they said I need to be experienced to be a deck hand which did not show up for me, Going to have to wait till some positions open
Probably means they are only recruiting for qualified personnel. Seaman grade 2 recruitment is what you want.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
U Sports and Adventure Training 13
slim Diamond Lil's 2
O Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5