Amateur boxing groups?

Discussion in 'RFA' started by Dealwithit, Sep 25, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys just wondering if Like the RN the is a boxing group you can fight for in the RFA?

2. On most runs ashore tbh.

• Like Like x 2
  3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I've heard that many RFA crews like being battered about the ring... :shock:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dont forget the 'As Gaeilge' version Sgt.As mentioned on another thread yesterday...:booty::rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  5. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

No team to box for but you could bat for both sides.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

6. exJenny

It's not compulsory... I hope!! The furry cup appealeth not!!

7. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Never heard of it in my experience, but I'm sure you'd be able to train with the squad of whatever base port you're in. I'm fairly certain the RFA don't have a dedicated boxing squad of their own.

8. exJenny

Handbags on the poop deck?

9. That's good Hopefully, I'm looking at trying to join as a Deck hand when I get my math skills up (For the rt), I was just wondering because my trainer would be a bit annoyed if I didn't train for 4 months, I suppose if it's not available I could always shadow box in my spare time.

10. exJenny

That's harsh... Comms ratings aren't that bad.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bare arsed boxers..:blackeye:

12. Why the RFA in particular, rather than the RN, DWI?

13. The Fort Vic had some boxers who would get together for boxercise type training a few times a week. It was mostly RN lads from the flight (and one girl), but one or two RFA lads joined in.

We were lucky enough to have an ex RN PTI as one of the RFA crew who would take circuits and all sorts of different training sessions, purely out of the kindness of his heart. There was a weights gym and a few punch bags onboard.

I was more of a table tennis and snooker man myself.

14. I'm Medical Unfit for the Armed services due to my Disability (In the process of getting a second opinion for it) The Royal navy recruiter recommended I look into the RFA as it's Civil service and I would be able to join should I pass the RT test and the Medical (Which I have no worries about having looked at it)

15. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

No, he definitely won't be able to represent the RN. Nothing to do with insurance, just rules.

16. Having said that, the RFA are quite amenable to people getting together and setting up their own thing. If there isn't already an RFA boxing squad, form your own. I'm sure there are plenty of other people who would be interested and you might even get some support/funding from the RFA. It's up to you to be proactive and sort out things like that and the RFA are generally quite supportive. You never know, if you take it far enough, you might end up getting a bout against an RN team.

Slightly different kettle of fish (excuse the pun) but some of the RFA lads on the George formed a fishing society. They were serious enough about it that the skipper coughed up a grand out of the ship's welfare fund for them to buy tackle.

17. Scratch that, Just spoke to Recruitment on the phone and they said I need to be experienced to be a deck hand which did not show up for me, Going to have to wait till some positions open

18. exJenny

Probably means they are only recruiting for qualified personnel. Seaman grade 2 recruitment is what you want.

19. Any idea when they will be looking for Seaman grade 2's again?