Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amateur boxing groups?

tiddlyoggy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Never heard of it in my experience, but I'm sure you'd be able to train with the squad of whatever base port you're in. I'm fairly certain the RFA don't have a dedicated boxing squad of their own.

exJenny

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Handbags on the poop deck?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

Dealwithit

Badgeman
Never heard of it in my experience, but I'm sure you'd be able to train with the squad of whatever base port you're in. I'm fairly certain the RFA don't have a dedicated boxing squad of their own.
That's good Hopefully, I'm looking at trying to join as a Deck hand when I get my math skills up (For the rt), I was just wondering because my trainer would be a bit annoyed if I didn't train for 4 months, I suppose if it's not available I could always shadow box in my spare time.

soleil

War Hero
That's good Hopefully, I'm looking at trying to join as a Deck hand when I get my math skills up (For the rt), I was just wondering because my trainer would be a bit annoyed if I didn't train for 4 months, I suppose if it's not available I could always shadow box in my spare time.

Why the RFA in particular, rather than the RN, DWI?

2_deck_dash

War Hero
The Fort Vic had some boxers who would get together for boxercise type training a few times a week. It was mostly RN lads from the flight (and one girl), but one or two RFA lads joined in.

We were lucky enough to have an ex RN PTI as one of the RFA crew who would take circuits and all sorts of different training sessions, purely out of the kindness of his heart. There was a weights gym and a few punch bags onboard.

I was more of a table tennis and snooker man myself.

Dealwithit

Badgeman
Why the RFA in particular, rather than the RN, DWI?
I'm Medical Unfit for the Armed services due to my Disability (In the process of getting a second opinion for it) The Royal navy recruiter recommended I look into the RFA as it's Civil service and I would be able to join should I pass the RT test and the Medical (Which I have no worries about having looked at it)

tiddlyoggy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
There will more than likely be a punch bag on whatever RFA you are assigned to. Not sure if you'll be able to box, officially in bouts etc, with RN/RM/Army/RAF types as I'm not sure you'd be covered under any 'insurance' rules. Also remember that you'll be 4 months on 4 months off (ish) so you'll not be 'base ported' as such so in your off time you will return home and await your nest ship assignment. There won't be a boxing squad on board I wouldn't have thought.

No, he definitely won't be able to represent the RN. Nothing to do with insurance, just rules.

2_deck_dash

War Hero
No, he definitely won't be able to represent the RN. Nothing to do with insurance, just rules.

Having said that, the RFA are quite amenable to people getting together and setting up their own thing. If there isn't already an RFA boxing squad, form your own. I'm sure there are plenty of other people who would be interested and you might even get some support/funding from the RFA. It's up to you to be proactive and sort out things like that and the RFA are generally quite supportive. You never know, if you take it far enough, you might end up getting a bout against an RN team.

Slightly different kettle of fish (excuse the pun) but some of the RFA lads on the George formed a fishing society. They were serious enough about it that the skipper coughed up a grand out of the ship's welfare fund for them to buy tackle.

Dealwithit

Badgeman
Scratch that, Just spoke to Recruitment on the phone and they said I need to be experienced to be a deck hand which did not show up for me, Going to have to wait till some positions open

exJenny

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Scratch that, Just spoke to Recruitment on the phone and they said I need to be experienced to be a deck hand which did not show up for me, Going to have to wait till some positions open

Probably means they are only recruiting for qualified personnel. Seaman grade 2 recruitment is what you want.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil Forces Network: "Navy On Hunt For Huge #InterServices Boxing Upset" Sports and Adventure Training 10
R Navy Boxing Program Sports and Adventure Training 4
tbfyb Boxing/martial arts Health & Fitness 5
Ageing_Gracefully Christmas Draw 2017 - CLOSES on Boxing Day Competitions 45
MoD_RSS News story: Boxing Day deal on mortgages for Armed Forces MoD News 1
JockJack Kick Boxing in the RN Health & Fitness 18
K Boxing/Sports Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Stirling Boxing films. Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 1
jesse The Boxing Bluejacket! Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 6
soleil Pompey News: "Fareham And Gosport Sailors’ Boxing Show Raises Cash For Clubs" Sports and Adventure Training 0
soleil Pompey News: "Boxing Squad Punches Its Weight To Raise Cash" Sports and Adventure Training 0
Bad CO US v UK Boxing at Royal Albert Hall - Free Entrance Charity 1
soleil Tickets For Troops - Boxing - Royal Albert Hall - October 7th 2011 Sports and Adventure Training 5
O Muay Thai / Boxing at Collingwood and Faslane Hobbies & The Great Indoors 7
T Fitness and boxing - unrelated questions! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
soleil Boxing Technique - Top Tips Sports and Adventure Training 29
S Boxing Books The Book Club 2
S Boxing Books Sports and Adventure Training 12
soleil L'pool Echo: "RN offers boxing coaching to novices" Sports and Adventure Training 0
moshe7158 spider kelly rn and england boxing captain Sports and Adventure Training 0
soleil Navy News: RN Boxing: "Close - but Prize goes to Pompey!" Sports and Adventure Training 0
richardgriffiths martial arts / boxing etc Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
soleil Royal selected for RN Boxing Squad The Corps 5
moshe7158 royal navy boxing Sports and Adventure Training 10
P Boxing Hobbies & The Great Indoors 12
N Sports in the navy...Boxing Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
soleil Medals for RN Boxing Team at Women's ABA Nationals Sports and Adventure Training 0
tiddlyoggy combined services boxing championships Sports and Adventure Training 38
The_Jimmy What is Boxing Day? Diamond Lil's 6
R Boxing at Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
P Boxing Sports and Adventure Training 3
Chicogiz Boxing Sports and Adventure Training 31
U boxing Sports and Adventure Training 13
slim Boxing champ on benefit charges Diamond Lil's 2
O boxing in the navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MoD_RSS Liz Truss ramps up engagement with trade unions and civil society groups MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Troika Statement on the Peace Agreement between the Government of Sudan and Sudanese Opposition Groups MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Peace Agreement - Sudan Armed Opposition Groups: Troika Statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New sanctions regime among push to boost protection for persecuted religious groups MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Dounreay cash reaches groups in need during Coronavirus lockdown MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Hot weather warning issued to people shielding and more vulnerable groups MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Organising mixed ability pupils in smaller groups and helping those who need to catch up MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Business Secretary launches working groups to help unleash Britain's growth potential MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Groups of up to six from different households can exercise outside under new rules MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Vulnerable groups set to benefit from improved legal aid support MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letter to local authorities to work with faith groups and funeral directors to develop safe, sensitive and innovative ways for funerals to take place MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chancellor hosts business groups and the unions roundtable MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government takes action to proscribe right-wing terrorist groups MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Government publishes details of immigration advisory groups MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Talented research groups across the UK to pioneer tomorrow's breakthrough innovations MoD News 0