Am i too old to join the Royal Marines !!!!

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by sniffpipes, Apr 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Pleased to meet y'all, just found this forum tonight and im most likely posting a topic which has been covered a thousand times already but i couldnt spot the info i was after in any other threads and topics so i thought id ask again.
    Im 32 years of age, and need to make a severe change !!!!
    Ive been thinking about this for some time and i really wanna do it, at present i think i have the physical strength to pass the PRMC but need to do some serious work on the running and stamina side of things.
    I turn 33 in November and am looking for as much info as possible, so.........if anyone can help then thanks.
    I tried to get in touch with the careers office to get the ball rolling but its a bank holiday and theyre shut !!!!
    Hope ive made my situation clear and i hope someone will reply with some useful information.
  2. There are two blokes in my troop who are 29 and 33, so no you're not too old. However, both of them only got in because they had useful skills: one of them had 6 years previous military service and the other (looking to be an AE further down the line) has various construction qualifications. They were told that their age meant they needed the above to be given serious consideration.

Have you got any previous experience, qualifications, or anything that you can sell yourself on if you do get told your age might be a problem?
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Regardless of any skills you may have, unless you are a trained RM with former service, you must enter service by your 33rd Birthday. There is no age waiver since the RM upped the age from 26 to 32. Only other way to get a proper green beret (apart from nipping into the Army & Navy Stores to buy one, or joining the MOD Guard Service!) is to join RN as Medical Assistant, undertake All-Arms course & become a Royal Navy Commando. (You can join the RN up to 36 years old except divers-32 years max)
  4. Cheers for the what your saying is that until i reach 33 i still qualify to join that right ?
    I turn 33 at the end of i have to finish the PRMC or just have started it before my 33rd birthday.
  5. Ninja_Stoker

You have to have entered service by your 33rd birthday. ie: passed recruiting test, passed interview, passed medical, passed pre-joining fitness test, passed PRMC, got security clearance, been allocated an entry date & started recruit training (if only by one day) BEFORE your 33rd birthday. In other words: get a bloody move on!
  6. Ninja_Stoker

PS Lympstone is on leave for most of August & it takes roughly 6-8 weeks to get an entry date after passing PRMC. You are truly on the hairy edge, get shifting on the phys & good luck.
  7. Ninja Stoker...........thanks for the VERY useful gonna get in touch with my local AFCO on tuesday and start the ball rolling asap...oh.....and with regards to Lost Boys qualifications cabinet is a bit bare to say the least but i do have some good building and joinery skills and i used to work as a mechanic for a local outdoor pursuits company fixing the quads and the land rovers (although i am not qualified).
    I also used to manage an Army Surplus store(cant imagine that being of any use to anyone though!!!!!)
    Hope this answers your question.
    Cheers for all your advice but ive gotta go now cause i gotta train....f***in hell do i have some training to do.
    Thanks again.
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Mate, just get yourself fit & pass the selection process, don't worry about previous RM related experience. Top tip: the pre-joining fitness test (2.4Km run on a treadmill) has changed from last week- pass time is now 10 mins dead. It's better the RM's online give you the best tips on fitness preparation, I'm just an unfit Stoker, but try the Military Fitness & Training website (unofficial) which I gather is good news for RM candidates. (If it was easy, I'd be a Marine- it isn't/I'm not) Last tip: ask your AFCO if you can undertake a Royal Marine Acquaint Day (RMAD) at your nearest RMR unit before PRMC -essentially it's a mini PRMC in a day. If you pass that, you should do OK on PRMC. Good luck fella.
  9. Cheers for that mate, you given me some much needed and useful info, will let everyone know how things progress.
  10. get cracking and good luck