am i to old

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by bifish15, May 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i have just had my medical but the doc has rained on my parade, questioning at my age (30) my suitability to serve. Basicly stateing im to old to complete the training wilst i am aware i am not and have so far flown through each stage with only pjft left to go am i going to be the only 30+ in training and will i find it harder than the younger chaps.

i am very aware that its not gonna be a holiday camp

Cheers

2. I'm 3X years old and I'm just awaiting my date to go! I know it's not going to be a breeze at Raleigh, but I'm looking forward to starting my new career.

No one ever mentioned my age during the process, except in my intial "Just popped into the AFCO" when they asked if I had considered the RNR instead of the the RN, but when I said I wanted to go in the Submarine service it was never mentioned again.

3. When I joined the Police I was 40 and I kid you not, I was fitter than all but a couple of the young bucks.
    Go for it and when you pass, go back and see the Doc. Unless it's his way of making you try harder.
    Good luck.

4. Thats bollocks, if you are fit anyway lets be honest Raleigh is not physical demanding, hell it's fustrating when they say that, cause there are quite a few marines passing out now approaching that mark, and usually thats a good age for SF selection give or take. And for the doc to question it is madness considering the age limit has been raised. No doubt when you do your PJFT you will be fitter than some of the young ones providing you have trained good enough.

5. If you are within the age ranges for the jobs, then the medical examiner should not be failing you for age.

We put a woman into the RN 6 months ago who was 36. I have put RM's in over the age of 30.

If the careers advisor thinks you've got what it would take, then you should, unless for medical reasons be forwarded to the PJFT and beyond.

Fight it, good luck

SM

:)

6. '' FIGHT THE POWER''

7. If you are fit, then no problem. I have guys in my class who are in their late 30's and struggling with the fitness elements of the course but, I also have 17 year olds who are no better!

That said, what the older guy lacks in fitness he makes up with determination which, is sadly lacking in many younger recruits.

My advice would be to get yourself as fit as you can and join. At 30 I wouldn't expect you to be the oldest in the class.

8. It will be a breeze because you will just jump into the tunnel of piss and snot and not stand by the edge going "eeeew yuk". you'll have more cdf and get it over with.

9. I'm 31 and going Raleigh soon, just keep fit and don't give up... I was 30 when I applied, by the time i pass out of phase 2 I'll be 32. SEA here I come? I went on the RNAC with 16 year olds and 19 year olds and it didn't matter about age apart from 1 night giving a 17 year old advice on his relationship with his girlfriend till 4 in the morning...hope there still together?

10. Be prepared for a lot of that...........Grandad! :wink:

11. thanks...need any advice...my young Jedi?

12. Yes, should one peruse Redtube or yourfilehost for tonights masturbatory requirements whilst one has returned to ones cabin?

13. No comment, your pleasures are not in my hands at the moment? Redtube...

14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Whilst the Medical Examiner may question your medical suitability for service with regard your physical & mental fitness in relation to your age, as long as you are within the age parameters for joining Naval Services it has nothing to do with the Doctor. If you are outside the age limits for joining the service, it is the job of the Careers Adviser to give you the bad news.

Good luck.

15. Bifish

What did he/she actually say?

You did pass, didn't you?

16. When can our pleasures be in your hands? ;)