Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I right in thinking...

Status
Not open for further replies.
_Tim_ said:
Nutty said:
Contributor Mode

Tim

If that is your limit before you refuse to drink it again I feel your future must be with the surface fleet. Just what will you do when faced with after shave(over 50% alcohol) and Orange squash on a quiet Sunday in some shore base. Or drinking pints from a steaming bat that some stoker has worn for a 10 week patrol and that is before they stretch the crutch piece of some stewards nicks over the top of the boot to sieve all the lumpy bits out.

Submarines are not for you, unless they have become wimps as well?


Nutty

I just don't drink red wine or stella. Never really liked either in the first place. But after getting so hammered I ran around a field in Orkney wearing nothing but my birthday suit. I also got my head jammed behind a toilet and passed out. I hate the stuff now.

I'll take a bottle of slivovka and trepinoviÄ, anyday.. I quite often partake in drinking the odd bottle of southern comfort or Jack Daniel's.

So I still drink more than a 17 year old should. :thumright:


Tim

Just follow these three rules of life my Sea Dad taught me many a year ago and you will make a good Skimmer/Submariner.

1. If it is alcoholic wet and paid for, drink it, you do not have to like it.

2. All ladies are nice just some are nicer than others. (Or men if you bat that way)

3. If you see someone running on your ship/boat stop them. If they will not stop, run with them as they obviously know something that you do not.


NUtty
 

BillyNoMates

War Hero
4. If water is coming in, try to stop it, or better still - put an orange
bag on and run away. It is a scientific fact that you cannot hold your
breath for six months, nor can you drink the entire contents of the
Atlantic Ocean.
5. DO NOT hot bunk with someone on the same watch, unless as
Nutty says.....you drive the bus on the wrong side of the road.

Luv'n'Hugs

BillyNoMates

X X X X X X
 

_Tim_

Banned
Nutty said:
Tim
3. If you see someone running on your ship/boat stop them. If they will not stop, run with them as they obviously know something that you do not.


NUtty

I think this is the most important piece of advice to remember. :w00t:
 

4to8

MIA
Nutty said:
when faced with after shave(over 50% alcohol) and Nutty

and tonic,ice and lemon.Done that bit with Aqua Velva [ is that still around ?] Also Raisin Jack,whatever dried fruit could be scrounged from the galley + yeast + stokehold.Had a mate wot got shrapnel in his knee from drinking jack, he was rollin a metal keg back and forth to speed things up [on a whaling trip on an ex-corvette] when it exploded.The keg ,not the boat.
 
4to8 said:
Nutty said:
when faced with after shave(over 50% alcohol) and Nutty

and tonic,ice and lemon.Done that bit with Aqua Velva [ is that still around ?] Also Raisin Jack,whatever dried fruit could be scrounged from the galley + yeast + stokehold.Had a mate wot got shrapnel in his knee from drinking jack, he was rollin a metal keg back and forth to speed things up [on a whaling trip on an ex-corvette] when it exploded.The keg ,not the boat.

A "Win Double" you get pissed and your breath smells nice.

Nutty
 

gypquitacorrie

Lantern Swinger
Gyponomates, posting this type of bollox on a subject of which you have absoloutely no knowledge just makes you look even more of a fanny than you already are. Lots of us have been in general service you haven't served in boats - nuff said.
Gentlemen of the deep, The lad asked a question and I gave him a balanced answer, just because I don't subscribe to the over inflated high opinion that some of you Submariners seem to bestow upon yourself, some of you then take upon yourselves to get nasty! Lets face it just because I happen to have a differing outlook on the Submarine service than yourselves does that make me wrong, of a fanny, or a one eye. No it doesn’t. but then your replies to my point of view do tend to wait to my argument about some of you being full of your own self imposed importance about how wonderful and better your all supposed to be. Submarines are an asset of the RN which can do a number of tasks, some unique to that particular platform and some which can be done equally has well by other platforms. There are also a lot of operational tasks that Boats cannot do but do, and which other platforms can. yet we don't tend to hear people from these platforms go on and on about how good, professional, highly trained etc etc they are in relation to the rest of the service. face it guys your important at what you do but not that important.
has to my opinions about Boats and submariners yes they are just that but borne out of working, living and socialising with submariners. yet because I don't sign up to your point of view I'm wrong and a submariner has been giving my wife one whilst I was away! grow up lads it’s a point of view, just different from yours. Welcome to the real world.
 

_Tim_

Banned
4to8 said:
Nutty said:
when faced with after shave(over 50% alcohol) and Nutty

and tonic,ice and lemon.Done that bit with Aqua Vulva [ is that still around ?] Also Raisin Jack,whatever dried fruit could be scrounged from the galley + yeast + stokehold.Had a mate wot got shrapnel in his knee from drinking jack, he was rollin a metal keg back and forth to speed things up [on a whaling trip on an ex-corvette] when it exploded.The keg ,not the boat.[/quote

Watery vulva? Sounds pleasant :w00t:
 

Waspie

War Hero
tiddlyoggy said:
_Tim_ said:
aha nah. My auntie's ex-husband is or was a major in the AAC. He was a prick and slightly up himself.

I've met an RAF pilot who was a bit up himself as well.

I've always found it interesting though that the AAC allow NCO pilots. Not sure about the crabs, but I'd be surprised. It does make me wonder why the RN insist pilots should be officers. Any WAFU's out there know why?

The answer 15 years ago was.

In the Navy and RAF only an officer could give the executive order to release air to ground weapons, missiles and such. (ROE etc.) The AAC employ NCO's to fly in a spotting and air taxi role. (Remember I am talking 15 years ago thing will have moved on no doubt). With the advent of TOE missile system I seem to remember that a flight of say 4 AAC helicopters would have a flight commander of officer status to cover the ROE regards weapon release.
 

shellbackmac

Lantern Swinger
gypquitacorrie said:
Gyponomates, posting this type of bollox on a subject of which you have absoloutely no knowledge just makes you look even more of a fanny than you already are. Lots of us have been in general service you haven't served in boats - nuff said.
Gentlemen of the deep, The lad asked a question and I gave him a balanced answer, just because I don't subscribe to the over inflated high opinion that some of you Submariners seem to bestow upon yourself, some of you then take upon yourselves to get nasty! Lets face it just because I happen to have a differing outlook on the Submarine service than yourselves does that make me wrong, of a fanny, or a one eye. No it doesn’t. but then your replies to my point of view do tend to wait to my argument about some of you being full of your own self imposed importance about how wonderful and better your all supposed to be. Submarines are an asset of the RN which can do a number of tasks, some unique to that particular platform and some which can be done equally has well by other platforms. There are also a lot of operational tasks that Boats cannot do but do, and which other platforms can. yet we don't tend to hear people from these platforms go on and on about how good, professional, highly trained etc etc they are in relation to the rest of the service. face it guys your important at what you do but not that important.
has to my opinions about Boats and submariners yes they are just that but borne out of working, living and socialising with submariners. yet because I don't sign up to your point of view I'm wrong and a submariner has been giving my wife one whilst I was away! grow up lads it’s a point of view, just different from yours. Welcome to the real world.


Well, that was me told. Just off down to Barrow.......
 

tiddlyoggy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Waspie,
Thanks for that. An interesting post, and it makes that policy somewhat understandable.
As for the SM/skimmer debate; I'm a skimmer, I have nothing against submariner's, I have many submariner oppos and work with probably more submariners at the moment than skimmers. My opinions on this :
1. I find the assertion that SM's are more professional or better trained rather irritating. Let's not confuse "longer" with better. I can't comment on their SOP's as I've never seen them put to use, but in my considerable experience, when it comes to actual hands on engineering, the majority of SM's (that I've come across) are inferior to their GS counterparts. I realise that the nature of their job inhibits them somewhat from ripping kit apart, but it's always struck me that they are overreliant on outside agencies in support roles.
2. Large numbers of submariners are leaving to go GS. Fact, not opinion, everyone that I have met cited their conditions of service as their main reason for leaving boats.

I await an angry reaction from some of you with suggestions that I'm jealous of the money or my wife's getting nailed by a submariner etc etc.
 

BillyNoMates

War Hero
gypquitacorrie said:
Gyponomates, posting this type of bollox on a subject of which you have absoloutely no knowledge just makes you look even more of a fanny than you already are. Lots of us have been in general service you haven't served in boats - nuff said.
Gentlemen of the deep, The lad asked a question and I gave him a balanced answer, just because I don't subscribe to the over inflated high opinion that some of you Submariners seem to bestow upon yourself, some of you then take upon yourselves to get nasty! Lets face it just because I happen to have a differing outlook on the Submarine service than yourselves does that make me wrong, of a fanny, or a one eye. No it doesn’t. but then your replies to my point of view do tend to wait to my argument about some of you being full of your own self imposed importance about how wonderful and better your all supposed to be. Submarines are an asset of the RN which can do a number of tasks, some unique to that particular platform and some which can be done equally has well by other platforms. There are also a lot of operational tasks that Boats cannot do but do, and which other platforms can. yet we don't tend to hear people from these platforms go on and on about how good, professional, highly trained etc etc they are in relation to the rest of the service. face it guys your important at what you do but not that important.
has to my opinions about Boats and submariners yes they are just that but borne out of working, living and socialising with submariners. yet because I don't sign up to your point of view I'm wrong and a submariner has been giving my wife one whilst I was away! grow up lads it’s a point of view, just different from yours. Welcome to the real world.

20years out of 22 Makes me qualified to have a paragraph in this thread.

Wind your neck in.
 

clanky

War Hero
tiddlyoggy said:
Waspie,
Thanks for that. An interesting post, and it makes that policy somewhat understandable.
As for the SM/skimmer debate; I'm a skimmer, I have nothing against submariner's, I have many submariner oppos and work with probably more submariners at the moment than skimmers. My opinions on this :
1. I find the assertion that SM's are more professional or better trained rather irritating. Let's not confuse "longer" with better. I can't comment on their SOP's as I've never seen them put to use, but in my considerable experience, when it comes to actual hands on engineering, the majority of SM's (that I've come across) are inferior to their GS counterparts. I realise that the nature of their job inhibits them somewhat from ripping kit apart, but it's always struck me that they are overreliant on outside agencies in support roles.
2. Large numbers of submariners are leaving to go GS. Fact, not opinion, everyone that I have met cited their conditions of service as their main reason for leaving boats.

I await an angry reaction from some of you with suggestions that I'm jealous of the money or my wife's getting nailed by a submariner etc etc.

I can only concur with the above. I know loads of ex sundodgers coming over to the light, but even the substantial golden hello currently offered is failing to generate much traffic in the opposite direction.
Perhaps we should restrict dits about whose missus is getting nailed by who to Diamond Lil's?
 

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
After the shite I was unhappy about before xmas on this site, piss off Clankie. Gypquitacorrie (master race) is one of lifes haters. From his posts he hates submariners, which is bad.enough but added to this, if your Scottish, this makes you available for the final soloution. This NAZIS wood cutter has a chip on his shoulder living amongst his sheep. I, along with others don’t understand his hatred and speculate about the root cause.

His Mrs met Mr Logic
 
BillyNoMates said:
4. If water is coming in, try to stop it, or better still - put an orange
bag on and run away. It is a scientific fact that you cannot hold your
breath for six months, nor can you drink the entire contents of the
Atlantic Ocean.
5. DO NOT hot bunk with someone on the same watch, unless as
Nutty says.....you drive the bus on the wrong side of the road.

Luv'n'Hugs

BillyNoMates

X X X X X X

Surely if the central heating fails or the submarine cable get disconnected* and it gets cold, matelots of all persuations should snuggle up to one another to keep warm., or have you forgotten that RN recruiting advert in times of yore (well the 1970s actually):

Snuggle up to a Man every night..... It's a Man's world in the Navy! :thumright: :w00t: :drool:


*Tim: electricity on board boats is supplied from the National Grid using submarine cables. Sometimes they can become disconnected...... :dwarf:
 

clanky

War Hero
witsend said:
After the shite I was unhappy about before xmas on this site, piss off Clankie. Gypquitacorrie (master race) is one of lifes haters. From his posts he hates submariners, which is bad.enough but added to this, if your Scottish, this makes you available for the final soloution. This NAZIS wood cutter has a chip on his shoulder living amongst his sheep. I, along with others don’t understand his hatred and speculate about the root cause.

His Mrs met Mr Logic

I was not quoting Gypquitcorrie was I.
So piss off yourself cock jockey.

To close, a bit of doggerel often used by submariners of my acquaintance.

"I'm a lower level stoker on a nuclear submarine.
I dont know how the focker works
But I keep the focker clean"
 
Moderator Mode

Gentlemen

If we can not be adult enough on this thread to refrain, from this point on, with personal insults then I will either delete, lock or move it to a more suitable venue.

Them wearing the cap have had enough to say.

Nutty
 

clanky

War Hero
Quite right Nutty. This thread is getting a bit close to the truth. You'd better close it right away.


What have we learned from this thread?

Going back to the original post, the concensus would seem to be trying GS life before becoming a crabmariner.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Not sure if made right choice Joining the Royal Navy 15
S Have I made the right choice? - Warfare specialist Submariners 2
MoD_RSS New Ofsted report highlights need to get matching right MoD News 0
R Is this right Finance & Pensions 6
MoD_RSS Dealing with the UK’s higher-activity radioactive waste is the right thing to do MoD News 0
MoD_RSS SLC urges students entering Clearing to apply for finance right away MoD News 0
MoD_RSS In praise of red tape: getting regulation right MoD News 0
4 Any tips for getting in the right frame of mind as a submariner? Joining the Royal Navy 19
MoD_RSS Far-right terror group proscribed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Polluter to put river right after serious spill MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Supporting every child's right to quality education MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Priti Patel proscribes right-wing terrorist group MoD News 0
MoD_RSS ARTEMIS - jHubMed delivering innovation right where it is needed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Temporary changes to right to rent and right to work checks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UN Human Rights Council 43: UK statement for the Interactive Dialogue with the Special Rapporteur on the Right to Privacy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Order to proscribe far-right terrorist group comes into force MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government takes action to proscribe right-wing terrorist groups MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Inspection Report Published: A reinspection into failed right of abode applications and referral for consideration for enforcement action MoD News 0
MoD_RSS My Right to Healthcare MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Levelling up research and innovation right across the United Kingdom MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK set to introduce ‘Jack’s Law’ – new legal right to paid parental bereavement leave MoD News 0
C RFA and Forces Right To Buy RFA 7
MoD_RSS Economic and Finance Committee: When we get it right, we affect the lives of millions of ordinary citizens for the better MoD News 0
Blackrat Right then.... Diamond Lil's 33
MoD_RSS On the right track: Homes England signs Hecurl to develop 150 ’Build to Rent’ homes at Corby Station MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Highways England on right lines to make ‘ghost’ markings vanish MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UN Human Rights Council 41: explaination of vote on the right to peace MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Right to transfer determinations: West Kensington and Gibbs Green Estates MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Right to transfer determination: Cressingham Gardens Estate MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ambassador to Turkmenistan supports the right to write MoD News 0
vauxhall MOS - Ensuring the right payments are made to the right people Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Lead Commissioner's speech to the Centre for Analysis of the Radical Right Conference MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Skipper rescued off Salcombe 'had done all the right things' MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New labelling requirements to help motorists pick the right fuel at home and abroad MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Getting the right leadership is vital for patient safety MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Largest upgrade in a generation to workplace rights - getting work right for British workers and businesses MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Online right to work checks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: ‘Spirit of Yorkshire runs right through our nation’s defence’: Defence Minister hails Yorkshire firms on Huddersfield visit MoD News 0
vauxhall It can't possibly be right, can it? Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Encryption and counter-terrorism: getting the balance right MoD News 0
TechFin Anyone know the needs of the service for Aircrewman right now? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
Stirlin Shaker Aamer , Extremists have no right to live in this country. Current Affairs 51
D Some pointing in the right direction needed.. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 22
Stirlin He was right. Sports and Adventure Training 0
Stirlin The right to be offensive ? / Fat gate. Current Affairs 149
SquidlyDiddly Have I made the right choice? RFA 14
stan_the_man They really know how to get things right in Cornwall fcuking Pointy Heads Diamond Lil's 19
Waspie Israel enters, stage right! Current Affairs 2
T US Right Wing think tank on NATO Maritime Power Current Affairs 2
soleil Sunday Times: "Should It Be Union Flag Or Is Jack All Right?" The Fleet 22
Similar threads


















































Latest Threads

New Posts

Top