Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I right in thinking...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just joined to shag my way around the world (as cheaply and as healthily as possible) and work only if I had to, fcuk me did I choose the wrong career.
Me - knob like a fighting dogs ear, skint but fcuk did I enjoy myself.
 

shellbackmac

Lantern Swinger
gypquitacorrie said:
Tim, your original question pretty much answers itself and your game plan should follow the path below.
1. Go to the AFCO.
2. Join the RN.
3. train has a ET(ME).
4. Join your first ship, have a fantastic time, throughly enjoy yourself,
5. Get drafted to a shore billet.
5. Join your second ship and then repeat stages 4 and 5 achieving promotion along the way.
6. After 22 years leave the RN has a WO1 ET(ME) having had a fantastic career, enjoyed many runs ashore, met some good lifelong opo's and have a wealth of Dits to spin.

alternatively you can elect to go SM, become bitter and twisted because you hate your job are pretty much Faslane based, have few run-ashore's if any. can't afford to give up the retention pay that pusser gives you to try and keep you has a submariner because if they didn't half of the SM manpower would leave boats. Oh I could go on and on ETC.

Basically try the real thing first and them if you still want to go deep volunteer for Boats. Drafty will then bite your hand off because they are that desperate to get people in to the SM world, apparently its that fantastic that and there so overbourne, no-one is leaving boats and they don't have a manpower problem!!!!!!

For a man who is a self confessed hater of the RN submarine service you spend all of your time on this forum talking about submarines and the blokes who seve on them - you obviously feel the need to be on here for personal reasons only known to yourself. Is it because you are from Barrow and back in the dark past a female member of your family had a bit of submariner in them?
 

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
shellbackmac said:
gypquitacorrie said:
Tim, your original question pretty much answers itself and your game plan should follow the path below.
1. Go to the AFCO.
2. Join the RN.
3. train has a ET(ME).
4. Join your first ship, have a fantastic time, throughly enjoy yourself,
5. Get drafted to a shore billet.
5. Join your second ship and then repeat stages 4 and 5 achieving promotion along the way.
6. After 22 years leave the RN has a WO1 ET(ME) having had a fantastic career, enjoyed many runs ashore, met some good lifelong opo's and have a wealth of Dits to spin.

alternatively you can elect to go SM, become bitter and twisted because you hate your job are pretty much Faslane based, have few run-ashore's if any. can't afford to give up the retention pay that pusser gives you to try and keep you has a submariner because if they didn't half of the SM manpower would leave boats. Oh I could go on and on ETC.

Basically try the real thing first and them if you still want to go deep volunteer for Boats. Drafty will then bite your hand off because they are that desperate to get people in to the SM world, apparently its that fantastic that and there so overbourne, no-one is leaving boats and they don't have a manpower problem!!!!!!

For a man who is a self confessed hater of the RN submarine service you spend all of your time on this forum talking about submarines and the blokes who seve on them - you obviously feel the need to be on here for personal reasons only known to yourself. Is it because you are from Barrow and back in the dark past a female member of your family had a bit of submariner in them?

Hmmmmmm,,,,,since we're speculating I'll put forward my theory Mac. Whilst Mr chippy was meeting "some good lifelong opo's" :rofl: sniffing the paint fumes on the upper deck, Mrs chippy was entertaining some wood back at home in Barrow :tongue8: . Like you say, submariner, but I would add Scottish submariner. :roll:
 

jesse

War Hero
What the fcuk am i doing onthe computer at 2120 hrs on a Saturday night with a bottle of red plonk? Why ar'nt i necking it back in a low pub starting a punch up or making a big prat of myself on the kareoke ? Sad old git or what?
 

bikerman

War Hero
Tim you just can't help yourself can you. have you been cover in diesel allday, eaten scran while doing engine changes and even when the fresh water tastes of diesel red wine is nectar :blob6:
 

Ships_Cat

War Hero
jesse said:
What the fcuk am i doing onthe computer at 2120 hrs on a Saturday night with a bottle of red plonk? Why ar'nt i necking it back in a low pub starting a punch up or making a big prat of myself on the kareoke ? Sad old git or what?

Because the stagger to bed is shorter (taxi wait times), the company is better and the big eats are short wait.....
 

_Tim_

Banned
bikerman said:
Tim you just can't help yourself can you. have you been cover in diesel allday, eaten scran while doing engine changes and even when the fresh water tastes of diesel red wine is nectar :blob6:

3-5 bottles of red wine along with a lot of lager at a wedding result in my distaste for red wine and stella.

Tim
 
_Tim_ said:
bikerman said:
Tim you just can't help yourself can you. have you been cover in diesel allday, eaten scran while doing engine changes and even when the fresh water tastes of diesel red wine is nectar :blob6:

3-5 bottles of red wine along with a lot of lager at a wedding result in my distaste for red wine and stella.

Tim


Contributor Mode

Tim

If that is your limit before you refuse to drink it again I feel your future must be with the surface fleet. Just what will you do when faced with after shave(over 50% alcohol) and Orange squash on a quiet Sunday in some shore base. Or drinking pints from a steaming bat that some stoker has worn for a 10 week patrol and that is before they stretch the crutch piece of some stewards nicks over the top of the boot to sieve all the lumpy bits out.

Submarines are not for you, unless they have become wimps as well?


Nutty
 

_Tim_

Banned
Nutty said:
Contributor Mode

Tim

If that is your limit before you refuse to drink it again I feel your future must be with the surface fleet. Just what will you do when faced with after shave(over 50% alcohol) and Orange squash on a quiet Sunday in some shore base. Or drinking pints from a steaming bat that some stoker has worn for a 10 week patrol and that is before they stretch the crutch piece of some stewards nicks over the top of the boot to sieve all the lumpy bits out.

Submarines are not for you, unless they have become wimps as well?


Nutty

I just don't drink red wine or stella. Never really liked either in the first place. But after getting so hammered I ran around a field in Orkney wearing nothing but my birthday suit. I also got my head jammed behind a toilet and passed out. I hate the stuff now.

I'll take a bottle of slivovka and trepinoviÄ, anyday.. I quite often partake in drinking the odd bottle of southern comfort or Jack Daniel's.

So I still drink more than a 17 year old should. :thumright:
 

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
_Tim_ said:
Nutty said:
Contributor Mode

Tim

If that is your limit before you refuse to drink it again I feel your future must be with the surface fleet. Just what will you do when faced with after shave(over 50% alcohol) and Orange squash on a quiet Sunday in some shore base. Or drinking pints from a steaming bat that some stoker has worn for a 10 week patrol and that is before they stretch the crutch piece of some stewards nicks over the top of the boot to sieve all the lumpy bits out.

Submarines are not for you, unless they have become wimps as well?


Nutty

I just don't drink red wine or stella. Never really liked either in the first place. But after getting so hammered I ran around a field in Orkney wearing nothing but my birthday suit. I also got my head jammed behind a toilet and passed out. I hate the stuff now.

I'll take a bottle of slivovka and trepinoviÄ, anyday.. I quite often partake in drinking the odd bottle of southern comfort or Jack Daniel's.

So I still drink more than a 17 year old should. :thumright:

I remember Nutty telling me about his last trip to the Orkneys, kept going on about banging some young things back doors in, did yer bum tingle when you woke up Tim :thumright:
 

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
cornish_jan said:
t-boats still have jollies...ill be going on a few quite soon in fact...lovely!

Coming our way??? Need some advanced warning to get the dosh together.

Nutty, Sceptre's lads were still going strong up to around 0430 hours, nice to see the old traditions up held. Around £1200 over the bar at the Royal Dorset.

SCEPTRE
 

Gollum

Badgeman
gypquitacorrie said:
Tim, your original question pretty much answers itself and your game plan should follow the path below.
1. Go to the AFCO.
2. Join the RN.
3. train has a ET(ME).
4. Join your first ship, have a fantastic time, throughly enjoy yourself,
5. Get drafted to a shore billet.
5. Join your second ship and then repeat stages 4 and 5 achieving promotion along the way.
6. After 22 years leave the RN has a WO1 ET(ME) having had a fantastic career, enjoyed many runs ashore, met some good lifelong opo's and have a wealth of Dits to spin.

alternatively you can elect to go SM, become bitter and twisted because you hate your job are pretty much Faslane based, have few run-ashore's if any. can't afford to give up the retention pay that pusser gives you to try and keep you has a submariner because if they didn't half of the SM manpower would leave boats. Oh I could go on and on ETC.

Basically try the real thing first and them if you still want to go deep volunteer for Boats. Drafty will then bite your hand off because they are that desperate to get people in to the SM world, apparently its that fantastic that and there so overbourne, no-one is leaving boats and they don't have a manpower problem!!!!!!

The real thing first eh? Tim don't listen to this crap, make up your own mind mate.

Submariner hating idiots like this really wind me up. If the submarine service was so bad then you wouldn't have anyone doing it regardless of how much money was thrown at them.

I know nothing of the surface world and so cannot comment if it is good or bad, but I do know that Submariners are more highly trained than their surface counterparts (certainly ET's anyway), while they're off to sea after Collingwood or Sultan, you're still doing a further 6-9 months of training.

The view of this one bloke is just that, the view of one person.
The guy's obviously bitter and twisted himself for some reason and obviously has a grudge against Submariners. The submarine service has had problems recruiting potential Submariners in the past, not because the job is crap but because of knobbers like this one telling people the Submarine Service is shit when in actual fact they don't really know that much about it.
 

_Tim_

Banned
janner said:
I remember Nutty telling me about his last trip to the Orkneys, kept going on about banging some young things back doors in, did yer bum tingle when you woke up Tim :thumright:
Only because I cut it on a barbed wire fence :w00t:


Gollum said:
The real thing first eh? Tim don't listen to this crap, make up your own mind mate.
Done already, put ET(MESM) as my 1st choice :thumright:

Submariner hating idiots like this really wind me up. If the submarine service was so bad then you wouldn't have anyone doing it regardless of how much money was thrown at them.
Maybe it's just ignorance on their part. Maybe they're jealous of the extra dosh.

, while they're off to sea after Collingwood or Sultan, you're still doing a further 6-9 months of training.
That's reason enough for me to sign up in all honesty ^_^;

The view of this one bloke is just that, the view of one person.
The guy's obviously bitter and twisted himself for some reason and obviously has a grudge against Submariners.
I think it was decided that a submariner was giving the guy's missus a bit extra whilst he was away. :number1:
 

shellbackmac

Lantern Swinger
Gollum said:
gypquitacorrie said:
Tim, your original question pretty much answers itself and your game plan should follow the path below.
1. Go to the AFCO.
2. Join the RN.
3. train has a ET(ME).
4. Join your first ship, have a fantastic time, throughly enjoy yourself,
5. Get drafted to a shore billet.
5. Join your second ship and then repeat stages 4 and 5 achieving promotion along the way.
6. After 22 years leave the RN has a WO1 ET(ME) having had a fantastic career, enjoyed many runs ashore, met some good lifelong opo's and have a wealth of Dits to spin.

alternatively you can elect to go SM, become bitter and twisted because you hate your job are pretty much Faslane based, have few run-ashore's if any. can't afford to give up the retention pay that pusser gives you to try and keep you has a submariner because if they didn't half of the SM manpower would leave boats. Oh I could go on and on ETC.

Basically try the real thing first and them if you still want to go deep volunteer for Boats. Drafty will then bite your hand off because they are that desperate to get people in to the SM world, apparently its that fantastic that and there so overbourne, no-one is leaving boats and they don't have a manpower problem!!!!!!

The real thing first eh? Tim don't listen to this crap, make up your own mind mate.

Submariner hating idiots like this really wind me up. If the submarine service was so bad then you wouldn't have anyone doing it regardless of how much money was thrown at them.

I know nothing of the surface world and so cannot comment if it is good or bad, but I do know that Submariners are more highly trained than their surface counterparts (certainly ET's anyway), while they're off to sea after Collingwood or Sultan, you're still doing a further 6-9 months of training.

The view of this one bloke is just that, the view of one person.
The guy's obviously bitter and twisted himself for some reason and obviously has a grudge against Submariners. The submarine service has had problems recruiting potential Submariners in the past, not because the job is crap but because of knobbers like this one telling people the Submarine Service is shit when in actual fact they don't really know that much about it.

Gollum, this one-eye has been hanging around with his misspelt crap for a while, his hatred and vast knowledge of being 'deeps' based on a draft or two inboard at Faslane, describing the submariners he worked with at the heavy gang and various other waterfront support organisations as 'unprofessional and lazy'. complete fud.

Gyponomates, posting this type of bollox on a subject of which you have absoloutely no knowledge just makes you look even more of a fanny than you already are. Lots of us have been in general service you haven't served in boats - nuff said.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Not sure if made right choice Joining the Royal Navy 15
S Have I made the right choice? - Warfare specialist Submariners 2
MoD_RSS New Ofsted report highlights need to get matching right MoD News 0
R Is this right Finance & Pensions 6
MoD_RSS Dealing with the UK’s higher-activity radioactive waste is the right thing to do MoD News 0
MoD_RSS SLC urges students entering Clearing to apply for finance right away MoD News 0
MoD_RSS In praise of red tape: getting regulation right MoD News 0
4 Any tips for getting in the right frame of mind as a submariner? Joining the Royal Navy 19
MoD_RSS Far-right terror group proscribed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Polluter to put river right after serious spill MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Supporting every child's right to quality education MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Priti Patel proscribes right-wing terrorist group MoD News 0
MoD_RSS ARTEMIS - jHubMed delivering innovation right where it is needed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Temporary changes to right to rent and right to work checks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UN Human Rights Council 43: UK statement for the Interactive Dialogue with the Special Rapporteur on the Right to Privacy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Order to proscribe far-right terrorist group comes into force MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government takes action to proscribe right-wing terrorist groups MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Inspection Report Published: A reinspection into failed right of abode applications and referral for consideration for enforcement action MoD News 0
MoD_RSS My Right to Healthcare MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Levelling up research and innovation right across the United Kingdom MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK set to introduce ‘Jack’s Law’ – new legal right to paid parental bereavement leave MoD News 0
C RFA and Forces Right To Buy RFA 7
MoD_RSS Economic and Finance Committee: When we get it right, we affect the lives of millions of ordinary citizens for the better MoD News 0
Blackrat Right then.... Diamond Lil's 33
MoD_RSS On the right track: Homes England signs Hecurl to develop 150 ’Build to Rent’ homes at Corby Station MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Highways England on right lines to make ‘ghost’ markings vanish MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UN Human Rights Council 41: explaination of vote on the right to peace MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Right to transfer determinations: West Kensington and Gibbs Green Estates MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Right to transfer determination: Cressingham Gardens Estate MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ambassador to Turkmenistan supports the right to write MoD News 0
vauxhall MOS - Ensuring the right payments are made to the right people Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Lead Commissioner's speech to the Centre for Analysis of the Radical Right Conference MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Skipper rescued off Salcombe 'had done all the right things' MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New labelling requirements to help motorists pick the right fuel at home and abroad MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Getting the right leadership is vital for patient safety MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Largest upgrade in a generation to workplace rights - getting work right for British workers and businesses MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Online right to work checks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: ‘Spirit of Yorkshire runs right through our nation’s defence’: Defence Minister hails Yorkshire firms on Huddersfield visit MoD News 0
vauxhall It can't possibly be right, can it? Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Encryption and counter-terrorism: getting the balance right MoD News 0
TechFin Anyone know the needs of the service for Aircrewman right now? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
Stirlin Shaker Aamer , Extremists have no right to live in this country. Current Affairs 51
D Some pointing in the right direction needed.. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 22
Stirlin He was right. Sports and Adventure Training 0
Stirlin The right to be offensive ? / Fat gate. Current Affairs 149
SquidlyDiddly Have I made the right choice? RFA 14
stan_the_man They really know how to get things right in Cornwall fcuking Pointy Heads Diamond Lil's 19
Waspie Israel enters, stage right! Current Affairs 2
T US Right Wing think tank on NATO Maritime Power Current Affairs 2
soleil Sunday Times: "Should It Be Union Flag Or Is Jack All Right?" The Fleet 22
Similar threads


















































Latest Threads

New Posts

Top