Am I right in thinking...

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by _Tim_, Jan 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That submariners don't get runs ashore the same as the surface fleet do? I don't know how I'd cope with that, and I'd like to see some of the world whilst in the RN.

And what's the average deployment for a submariner?

Initially I wanted to join up as an AET, but I read that their deployments are only 6-9 months in a 30 month period. I'd like to be delpoyed a little more, in all honesty.

2. Dunno!! As an ex diesel we used to get some stonking runs ashore on 2/3rds subsitance.
    But what do yer wanna go ashore for when on a nukkie boat. They are floating hotels!

3. Really? I was under the impression you don't really get runs ashore. It'd be great if you do, obviously.

why go ashore? For the drinks, of course :thumright:

4. A ship deploys, not a person.

5. But a person goes on deployments, right? That's what I meant.

6. We used to get some cracking runs ashore! For example, Global 86 - ah those were the days. And nuclear boats aren't just floating hotels, when you are in a foreign port you have to stay in a top notch hotel, as you can't live onboard! And they give you cash for food etc!! The bombers are not quite so lucky, though some do get to go to the USofA at times. Go for it!!

7. Great :)

I'm going to apply for ET(MESM) then and 2nd choice will be either AET or ET(ME). I'm going to the AFCO tomorrow and I am nervous as feck. Though, it might help that my neighbour offered me a character reference; with him being an ex-officer(He said lt. cmdr...I think, but I don't want to say for certain). I only found out 2 hours ago :thumright:

8. Suggest you just get in the Mob first, then possibly do some time on skimmers (aka targets) before joining boats. That way you might get a couple of jollies in first - just in case!

9. I was thinking that. But if I can join subs. first, I may as well. I don't mind not going on jollies, as long as you're not permanently underwater for 6 months and do get to go ashore at some point.

10. Yes, but my point was that you said 'I read that their deployments are only 6-9 months in a 30 month period'.

By definition that depends upon where the ship you are on deploys.

11. Bombers dont get many jollies. Either the USA, Brest or Gibraltar.

Fleet boats go all over the place. Quite a few in the Middle East for some reason!

In 2007 my boat went to Gibraltar, Crete, Fujaira(sp), Bahrain, Singapore, Fremantle and Capetown.

The jollies are available matey.

12. I'll remember for future reference :)

13. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Submariners do not get as many runs ashore as skimmers, no matter what class of boat.

14. Can't beat flight deck BBQ's with sundowners! If lucky Sunuper's also. Also watching a movie on the flight deck whilst cruising down the Indian Ocean. Skimmers FTW!

15. As long as I'll get the odd run ashore, I'll be a happy chappy :thumright:

16. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Hope you like Gib then!

17. Tim, so you like to give people the benifits of your vast knowledge, now try this if you go boats first you will get used to the extra cash call the GS targets, then will not be able to afford to join the skimmer world. So it will be Plymouth, Faslane and the rare but good foreign. Enjoy! :salut:

18. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Don't forget Barrow, but nail on the head answer to Dim's fishing trip.

19. I think I read one of Ninja's posts saying that people who opt for subs in training can't go to surface.

I'm confused now.

20. I will bow down to uncle Ninja's greater insight on that. It wasn't always the case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.