Am i hearing correct

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by dano, May 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. had a phone call today off a nice lady telling me she was "calling from the rn careers office in cardiff regarding my recent online enquiery"

After asking me a few questions she told me i was eligable to join and invited me down for a chat. She then told me the average time for applications is between 3 to 6 months for submariners as they have all conveniently decided to retire just as i would like to join. Having been in the army i am a tad suspicious of what recruiters tell me. Is she being honest with me or not?

2. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

How the hell are we supposed to know? :roll:

Been in the army and your nearest AFCO is Cardiff? Is this Creddly by any chance?

3. Why wouldn't she be being honest with you? If she was just trying to lure you into a white slave racket, it's a funny way to go about it! Recruiters can't tell porkies any more, and slip you a Mickey Finn. Why not throw caution to the winds and give it a go.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Damn, don't tell everyone!

5. Waiting lists for submariners are, in general, shorter at the moment.

6. Sit and think for a mo- she is only telling you this because they want scumariners and trying to hook you with its only three months waiting. If sundodging is your thing go for it, don't let them put you off GS by saying waiting lists are longer stick with it

good luck :thumright:

7. Ninja_Stoker

The fact that submariners have a shorter waiting time to join than their general service (surface) counterparts has nothing whatsoever to do with people retiring at this precise moment in time - people retire throughout the year & shortages persist.

The simple reason that the waiting times are shorter are two fold:

1. There are insufficient volunteers, despite the financial incentives offered.

2. They choose to bar people who MAY otherwise choose to volunteer: ie, females

8. Not having a go at AFCO personnel but they might be tempted to push a branch with shortfalls, than a candidates prefered branch.
    :salut:

9. Ninja_Stoker

There's no point quite honestly as we are measured not only by successful entrants, but by wastage returns of those that elect to leave early because they don't like the job they're doing.

Careers Advisers are ineligible for recruiting bounties currently offered for Royal Marines & Submariners (for obvious reasons). Nor do we get paid any different if we recruit 20 people a year or 45 people per year, nor do we have promotion prospects enhanced, nor earning potential increased by "making" people join in different trades. Frankly it's less hassle to suggest they join the Army or RAF if you actually think about it.

I always advise anyone wishing to join as a submariner that they are still eligible for the bounty if they join as a general service applicant & later decide to volunteer when they have a better appreciation of what the job entails. The secret is to give them the job they want & then they don't come back wishing to rejoin because they chose the wrong job, PVR'd & now wish to re-join.

Recruiting targets are set by CNR, but if people do not walk through the door of the AFCO then we cannot recruit.

10. Ninja
    I would like to rejoin as a non seagoing non turning to Wafu. Please advise me of waiting times before I go to Raleigh.

11. Ninja_Stoker

Are you busy tomorrow? [​IMG]

12. Might be able to manage a quick interview over the telephone if I can claim travel expenses. :thumright:

13. it soon gets boring

14. As this government is always harking on about paying what the market demands, how much would it take to get the volunteers flooding in? Perhaps a guarenteed seat in the House of Lords? ;)

15. Ninja_Stoker

It's actually a very pertinent question Steve.

Whenever I've visited the submarine school and spoken with trainees, the majority of individuals state they were at least in part, motivated by the cash incentives, not just the "elite" element of the service.

The problem is that your average joiner over about 25 has taken on financial commitments in line with their civilian wage & cannot afford the pay-drop to join as a Rating on £13,013. I maybe wrong on this, possibly Polto or other experienced submariners will correct me, but many of the slightly older than average joiners opt to become submariners because of the increased income offered. Similarly those that still find the wages inadequate will opt for the RNR so they can still have their "nautical fix", but earn a civilian commercial wage.

There are quite a few graduates that join as Ratings & Other Ranks, possibly if we were to offer graduate ratings the same starting pay as non-vocational graduate officers, there could be an increase of interested joiners.

It's rather amusing that some people think that because prospective candidates do not quote income as important when seeking a career in the services, that it therefore follows that wages aren't important to entice joiners. Only those in ivory towers would fail to realise that job-applicants never criticise the projected income or are blind enough to think that money is not a motivator for everyone at all levels.

16. I don't think that money even came into it when I joined (both times). The first time it was something I had always wanted to do, but was 'Directed' in a direction that I did not enjoy (MEM(M) to MEM(L)) and they would not let me revert to source. The 2nd time I ended up where I wanted to be (WTR). But after a few months the money did start to matter, and I will admit to considering going to the dark side for the SSP(SM), but was talked out of it by my DO, who told me to get some sea time in before I made a choice like that.