Am I entitled to an RN Pension ?

Bucharestred

Midshipman
Thanks Vauxhall,
I have written a letter to their office in Glasgow with all my details.
Hopefully they will be able to clarify everything for me.

Scotti

just for absolute clarity:

Before April 75 - no entitlement to a preserved pension. Officers had to serve 16 yrs from age 21 and ORs 22 yrs from age 18.

April 75 - April 78 - preserved pensions were paid to those with over 5 yrs reckonable (paid) service and over age 26 when they left. Payable at age 60.

April 78 -5 April 88 - preserved pensions were paid to those with over 5 yrs reckonable service 9the age requirement was dropped). Again payable at age 60.

6 April 88 - preserved pensions payable to those with 2 or more years reckonable service over age 21 for officers and over age 18 for ORs. Payable at age 60

Joined before 6 April 2005 and still in service as an AFPS 75 member on 6 April 2006 - the preserved pension age for AFPS 75 members changed to 65. Pension earned before that date was payable at age 60. Pension payable at age 65 could be claimed early with actuarial reduction.

Those who joined after 6 April 2006 - AFPS 05 2 yrs reckonable service required for a preserved pension payable at age 65.
- RFPS no qualifying period for preserved pension (payable at 65)
In both cases preserved pensions can be claimed at any age after 55 with actuarial reduction.

Those who joined after 1 April 2015 and those who were in service and under age 48 on 1 April 2015 - preserved pensions are paid to those with over 2 yrs reckonable service. Payable at the individual's state pension age but can be claimed after age 55 with actuarial reduction.

Phew!
I claimed, and was awarded a deferred pension and lump sum at age 60, and it’s been in payment for 10 years, Until out of the blue, following a widows pension enquiry, came an absolute bombshell, letter stating they had made an error, the pension was immediately cancelled, and I would be hearing from them further, ie an extremely large back payment bill! I’ve seen my MP, also initiated the internal review process, currently awaiting the results from both. All pretty frightening.

I claimed, and was awarded a deferred pension and lump sum at age 60, and it’s been in payment for 10 years, Until out of the blue, following a widows pension enquiry, came an absolute bombshell, letter stating they had made an error, the pension was immediately cancelled, and I would be hearing from them further, ie an extremely large back payment bill! I’ve seen my MP, also initiated the internal review process, currently awaiting the results from both. All pretty frightening.
Sorry to hear your bad news & fingers crossed that the Internal Review works out in your favour.

Meanwhile - Have you considered joining the Forces Pension Society? As you may have noted from earlier posts in this thread the FPS regularly post free general advice here as @vauxhall.

The FPS are renowned for fighting tooth & nail on behalf of their Members with Pension problems and have an excellent all-round track record in their battles with the authorities,

Moi? I've never had a Pension problem but took out Life Membership as 'insurance' when I left the Service knowing that they would have my back if it was ever up against a brick wall.

Well worth having them on your side at £39 per year - See https://forcespensionsociety.org/join-now/

Bob L

Winny

Badgeman
Does anyone know who you write to to get information regarding your naval pension ?
Eligibility, how much, year when you qualify to recieve it etc.....

Scotti

Sorry to hear your bad news & fingers crossed that the Internal Review works out in your favour.

Meanwhile - Have you considered joining the Forces Pension Society? As you may have noted from earlier posts in this thread the FPS regularly post free general advice here as @vauxhall.

The FPS are renowned for fighting tooth & nail on behalf of their Members with Pension problems and have an excellent all-round track record in their battles with the authorities,

Moi? I've never had a Pension problem but took out Life Membership as 'insurance' when I left the Service knowing that they would have my back if it was ever up against a brick wall.

Well worth having them on your side at £39 per year - See https://forcespensionsociety.org/join-now/

Bob L

Scotti

Bob L
Bob L,
Many thanks for your sympathetic message and advice, and yes, I’ve paid my £39 for FPS this year, but currently I’m pinning my hope on the Vet UK Internal Review. The 3 MOD letters seem to me, and the MP, absolutely outragous, and really serious for me and my family. The MP thought his letter, re the MASSIVE repayment bill, was compelling, and I guess I just have to await the 60 working day outcome of IR which takes it till end Oct seeking pension reinstatement. If I’m right over this, and I think I am, borne out by Vauxhall’s post, as well as MODs Fact Sheet 1, also the document from the House of Commons Library, that the error was not 10 yrs ago as per the original award of deferred pension, but a Vet UK error now, it will be absolutely amazing, and not a little distressing.

Bob L,
Many thanks for your sympathetic message and advice, and yes, I’ve paid my £39 for FPS this year, but currently I’m pinning my hope on the Vet UK Internal Review. The 3 MOD letters seem to me, and the MP, absolutely outragous, and really serious for me and my family. The MP thought his letter, re the MASSIVE repayment bill, was compelling, and I guess I just have to await the 60 working day outcome of IR which takes it till end Oct seeking pension reinstatement. If I’m right over this, and I think I am, borne out by Vauxhall’s post, as well as MODs Fact Sheet 1, also the document from the House of Commons Library, that the error was not 10 yrs ago as per the original award of deferred pension, but a Vet UK error now, it will be absolutely amazing, and not a little distressing.
Easy to say but hard to do but don't let 'em grind you down.

With your MP & FPS up your sleeve you seem to be in good hands - Let's just hope it's just a tremendous F**k-Up by some low-grade pen pusher.

Watching this space...

fishhead

War Hero
@Scotti's scenario is a new one to me. We have had people saying they have been overpaid and many more underpaid but up until now no-one has been awarded a pension only to have it revoked 10 years later. It would be interesting to know the basis of their alleged error but I understand that if it breaches PERSEC it should not be aired on open forum.

vauxhall

Lantern Swinger
Whoops:

Veterans UK, Mail point 480, Kentigern House, Glasgow G2 8EX

If you are under age 60 submit a form to get a forecast. put AFPS Form 14 into your browser. If you get into difficulty, send me a PM

Just out of interest, when I get to retirement age can I apply? Can I get a pension? I was in the RN from 2010-2010?

slim

War Hero
Just out of interest, when I get to retirement age can I apply? Can I get a pension? I was in the RN from 2010-2010?
No but you are possibly due to a retards bus pass, and other benefits that other numbties seem to be able to claim