Am I entitled to an RN Pension ?

Discussion in 'Finance & Pensions' started by Bucharestred, Sep 19, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not sure what department to ask about this so I'll just throw my situation out there and hopefully receive some good news and a little guidance.

I am 57 years of age and I was in the RN from 1979 through to 1989, (or maybe 1990, I honestly can't remember).

Am I entitled to an Armed Forces Pension and if so where do I contact to apply for it ?

I have tried reading through the MMP106 which I found online but I am now more confused than ever.

Please help, many thanks.
  2. Hi Stirlin,
    Thanks for you reply and for the link.
    I have tried to read through it but unfortunately I have to admit that I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed and 12 pages of government and legal speak just turns into a blur.
    I am hoping that there is a site somewhere or an email address I can just send my name and ID number to and they will be able to just tell me yes or no.
    All the best,
  3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

4. Thanks Fishhead,
    I have just written a letter to their office in Glasgow with all my details which I will post tomorrow.
    Hopefully they will clarify everything for me.
    WAFU :)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I served from 74 to 80 and have just applied for mine it comes under AFPS75 you should be entitled to a pension based on the number of years served over the age of 18 and you can apply 3 months before your sixtieth birthday, if you contact veterans uk with your official number rate on leaving and date joined and left, they will send you info on how many years you have accrued with a figure of how much you have at this time.
  6. Thanks Big O D, Sounds like good news. Hopefully they'll confirm everything in their reply to my letter.
  7. I believe that Veterans UK are looking into the situation for Big Sylve who is claiming that she served the RN for many years and wishes to claim her pension
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. I think the situation is, that anyone who served after 1975, then any time served over the age of 18 will qualify for a preserved pension payable at age sixty.
  9. just for absolute clarity:

Before April 75 - no entitlement to a preserved pension. Officers had to serve 16 yrs from age 21 and ORs 22 yrs from age 18.

April 75 - April 78 - preserved pensions were paid to those with over 5 yrs reckonable (paid) service and over age 26 when they left. Payable at age 60.

April 78 -5 April 88 - preserved pensions were paid to those with over 5 yrs reckonable service 9the age requirement was dropped). Again payable at age 60.

6 April 88 - preserved pensions payable to those with 2 or more years reckonable service over age 21 for officers and over age 18 for ORs. Payable at age 60

Joined before 6 April 2005 and still in service as an AFPS 75 member on 6 April 2006 - the preserved pension age for AFPS 75 members changed to 65. Pension earned before that date was payable at age 60. Pension payable at age 65 could be claimed early with actuarial reduction.

Those who joined after 6 April 2006 - AFPS 05 2 yrs reckonable service required for a preserved pension payable at age 65.
    - RFPS no qualifying period for preserved pension (payable at 65)
    In both cases preserved pensions can be claimed at any age after 55 with actuarial reduction.

Those who joined after 1 April 2015 and those who were in service and under age 48 on 1 April 2015 - preserved pensions are paid to those with over 2 yrs reckonable service. Payable at the individual's state pension age but can be claimed after age 55 with actuarial reduction.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Thanks Vauxhall ... I appreciate you taking the time to message.

I have sent a written letter to their office in Glasgow with all my background info ... fingers crossed ... it's probably only pennies anyway, still, anything is better than nothing :)
  11. But index linked pennies ...
  12. you're funny :) ....
  13. This has prompted me to see if I should get a UK military pension.
    Was in for 8 years from 1948
    I am now 85 and get a small UK age pension that is not indexed as we live in Australia. It has been 11pounds a month for the last 25 years. Mikep
  14. I'm afraid you are going to be disappointed, Mikep. Preserved pensions were not introduced until about 20yrs after you left the Service.
  15. Well it was worth a try.
    It was interesting just reading about it.
    I got a letter a few years ago thanking me for being a vetran along with a small badge for my service to the country
  16. Will have stick to cruising as Princess cruises offer up to $250.00 per cruise if you are a vet from U.K. US. And. Have served. Sure does help it ha few drinks Mikep
  17. When you left you should have been given a letter containing your pension information. The calculation would have been based on the pension codes in operation at the time and your rank for pension (you need 2 yrs as a Leading Hand to get the full rate for the rank). If you can find the letter, it will state how much your pension was in 89 and your discharge date.

If you can't find it, the best thing to do is to contact Veterans UK and ask them for a statement of the current value for your rank. Address is Veterans UK, Pension Division, Mail Point 480, Kentigern House, 65 Brown Street, Glasgow G2 8EX
  18. Many thanks will look into it mikep