Am I banned from joining the navy?

AlanBaker

Hi,
I'm looking to join the navy as an adult nurse when I finish my degree in 2021. Unfortunately when I was 15 I experienced some mental health issues and I tried to commit suicide twice.

From what I've read I understand this probably denies me entry to the forces, I was just looking for any clarification if possible. I was wondering if I will be able to appeal this since this was 6 years ago and I haven't experienced any mental health issues since. I was going through a hard time and I was just child and didn't understand the seriousness of what I was doing.

Thanks for any replies, it's much appreciated:)

soleil

War Hero
Hi,
I'm looking to join the navy as an adult nurse when I finish my degree in 2021. Unfortunately when I was 15 I experienced some mental health issues and I tried to commit suicide twice.

From what I've read I understand this probably denies me entry to the forces, I was just looking for any clarification if possible. I was wondering if I will be able to appeal this since this was 6 years ago and I haven't experienced any mental health issues since. I was going through a hard time and I was just child and didn't understand the seriousness of what I was doing.

Thanks for any replies, it's much appreciated:)
Hi AB

The source on which decisions on medical eligibility are based is a document called JSP 950. It does include guidance on the position re candidates whose medical history includes experiences of the type you have described. You can see an up-to-date version of JSP 950 here:

In the search box, type in:

Intentional Self-Harm

The content of the relevant paragraph suggests that, as the relevant episodes were over 2 years ago and were relatively close together, you would not be barred from continuing with an application, but I do think that your case would be referred. Ultimately, the person who decides on medical eligibility is the Senior Medical Officer (Service Entry) and it is the SMO(SE) who will look at the referral.

You will be able to apply next year, but I can see that you are concerned now. Although the AFCO based Careers Advisors don't engage in detailed conversations on medical eligibility themselves, it might be possible to ask them for clarification of what it says in JSP 950; there is a possibility that they could make an initial enquiry of their own to the SMO(SE) for advice at this point, which may make the situation clearer.

Where is your nearest large town? I will give you the number for the Careers Advisors there. They are taking calls at the moment, but not seeing people in person, of course.

PS Try to change your User Name, if you can.

Last edited:

AlanBaker

Thanks guys for your help. It's nice to know my case will be considered despite my past. I can't remember exactly how close they where together, so I'm going to have to ask to access my health records.

I might be being dumb here but at the end of the paragraph it says 'responsibly for service entry in line with para 5'. What is this referring to?

By the way my name is not Alan, it's just the first thing I thought of.

Attachments

soleil

War Hero
I might be being dumb here but at the end of the paragraph it says 'responsibly for service entry in line with para 5'. What is this referring to?
AB

That bit is basically corroboration of what I said in my earlier post.

The paragraph which you are looking at, which is the relevant one for your case, is Para 47. If you scroll up the page, you eventually come to Para 5, which says:

5. If there is insufficient evidence presented at the pre-employment medical examination (or prior questionnaire screening) to enable a decision, additional clarifying evidence (eg contemporaneous medical records) should be requested from the candidate or the candidate’s GP. When specified within this policy or where uncertainty remains, the case should be referred to the single Service occupational physician responsible for Service entry.

In cases like your one, when the right decision is one made by a Medical Officer using additional information for clarifying purposes, the case goes to the SMO(SE), the Single Service Occupational Physician responsible for service entry in the Royal Navy.

soleil

War Hero
AB

Something I was thinking about after I had posted my earlier replies to you was the question of when you could apply. Something was popping up in my mind and telling me that NN(Q)s could apply before qualification but needed to be qualified on their start date.

The reference source for these things is a document called BR3, so I had a little look to see what it said.

What it says is:

Naval Nurse Qualified (Adult).

Eligibility Standards are as follows:

(1) Minimum age on entry is 20 years.

(2) Educational Qualifications. BSc or MSc in Adult nursing (the applicant may be eligible if within 9 months of gaining this qualification - contact CNR OPS NMD SO3 for guidance).

(3) Registration. Candidates must be registered prior to entry. The candidate may be in the process of gaining registration at the time of application. Clarification of acceptable registration standards may be obtained from CNR OPS NRAPO. Candidates must be registered prior to entry as Registered General Nurse (RGN) or Registered Nurse (RN) (Adult) on sub part 1 (RN1, RNA) or alternatively sub part 2 (RN2, RN7) of the Nursing and Midwifery Council.

I gather from the NMC website that, when nursing students have completed their studies successfully and are eligible for registration, their Universities pass their details on to the NMC so that registration can proceed. I can only guess as to when your establishment would do this for you, I imagine that it would be at the end of the academic year, so around June, but your term dates may be different to how I imagine them to be.

What I would recommend is that you seek clarification about what it says in (2)(3). If this is indeed the current situation, you could perhaps apply , say, in October/November of this year. This would be particularly advantageous to a candidate in your situation, because when cases are referred to SMO(SE), it can take a while to get a decision back. It might well be that you could complete the earliest stages of your application in the autumn and then wait while the medical referral stage takes place. All being well, things would then go forward in the New Year. I think that you would find it a tremendous boost as you started the last 6 months of your nursing course if you knew that you were eligible to progress in the recruitment process.

Can you tell me where your nearest town or large city is? I think that it would be in your interests to ask the CAs there for confirmation as to when NN(Q)s can apply and specifically confirmation as to whether a potential NN(Q) can apply in the last year of nurse training - my reading of the gospel and verse is that this is a possibility.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Am I banned from joining the Navy forever? Please help me :) Joining the Royal Navy 18
MoD_RSS Weston-Super-Mare restaurateur banned from managing companies MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Computer traders banned for selling counterfeit goods MoD News 0
MoD_RSS North London restaurateur banned for under-declaring tax MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Used tractor salesman banned after misleading customers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Second-hand car dealers banned for 14 years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Pension investment advisor banned MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Investment bosses banned for 29 years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Health supplements bosses banned for 21 years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS North West London restaurateur banned for under-declaring income MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Mother banned for allowing disqualified son to run company MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Solicitor banned after illicitly securing millions from investors MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Walsall fast food boss banned for failing to maintain books MoD News 0
MoD_RSS North London Immigration Adviser banned indefinitely. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Portsmouth restaurateur banned for tax offences MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Poole restaurateurs banned for tax offences MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Edinburgh investment boss banned for decade MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Telecommunications boss banned for breaching regulations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Cambridgeshire care home boss banned for 4 years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Bogus law firm boss banned for a decade MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Maulden family banned after putting themselves ahead of creditors MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Currency trading boss banned after abusing clients’ funds MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Multi-million-pound pension liberation bosses banned for 34 years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS South East car mechanic banned for trading while insolvent MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Waste giant forced to pay over £500,000 for exporting banned waste MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Wolverhampton cash and carry boss banned for 8 years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Restaurateur banned for 9 years after concealing tax owed to HMRC MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Directors banned for dishonestly securing £975,000 of credit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMA directs Barclays to fix banned banking practices MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ilford boss banned over missing IT equipment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Bolton charity boss banned for causing Lifeline Project to sink MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Diamond trader banned for falsifying sales invoices MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Travel agency boss banned following unexplained company payments MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Pub landlord banned for submitting inaccurate tax returns MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Investment boss banned after misappropriating client's £800,000 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Luton coach boss banned for hiding fleet MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Ethical directors banned after withdrawing millions in contested tax scheme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Waste boss banned for breaching environmental legislation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Southend director banned for transferring assets to father-in-law MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Liverpool Chinatown contractor banned from running businesses MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Hizballah banned in the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Hizballah to be banned alongside other terrorist organisations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Not-for-profit music enterprise boss banned for second time MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Aberdeen car dealer banned for seven years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Market researcher banned for thousands of unregulated marketing calls MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Glasgow boss banned for flouting director requirements MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Financial Services bosses banned for trading while insolvent MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Property developer behind incomplete football stadium banned MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Pensions cold-calling banned MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Property developers banned after abusing £12m of investments MoD News 0