AM ANGRY THAT TAXPAYERS WILL FUND BNP ELECTION BID

Should the National front have same rights as other political parties

• Total voters

dunkers

War Hero
The BNP are a perfectly legitimate political party. You can't wish to live in a democracy but then say "oh but we don't want THAT particular party..."

Despite their views, they should still be allowed to say their piece - at least it'll give us an opportunity to query their intentions and make an informed choice at the polls.

Stifling debate wouldn't work as there would be no conter argument to their policies.

Jimmy_Green

War Hero
Whether one agrees with the NF's or BNP's policies or not (and most people do not), where public funding is available to political parties it should be available to all parties. It would be the thin end of the wedge and dangerous for those in power to prevent other legitimate parties from standing for parliament.

I agree all parties should have the same access to funding. Most people can only be bothered to listen to one aspect of the BNP's manifesto. They have some great (non race related!) ideas. But then, most parties do until they fail to implement them. Some are worrying, though.
What winds me up is the the government we have now can condemn the BNP all they like, yet still fail to see why people are voting that way. If they did something about the situations that people are protesting about, no-one would vote that way.

slim

War Hero
I think that a vote for the BNP is actually a protest vote against the other parties. The main political parties need to wake up and listen to the electorate for a change.

Having re-read the original post, i realise i'm talking about the BNP which the NF has split from. But still, they should be entitled, in my opinion, to voice their own and recieve funding for it the same as any other party.

War Hero
snapdragon said:
....voice their own and recieve funding for it the same as any other party.

Alternatively no political party receives funding from the public purse and they're all reliant on revenues that they can earn themselves.

Worth thinking about?

Any if they get their money from wealthy individuals it is called cash for questions or selling peerages.

You cant really have it both ways.

Any person or party can run for a post if they have the money and enough people putting you forward as well if I remember rightly, fail to gain a certain amount of votes and you forfeit your deposit.
Whether it's the BNP, Labour, Conservative or Monster Raving Looney Party. It's called democracy based on freedom of speech.
What's the real difference between the BNP and the Communist Party - not a lot really, both have extreme ideas.
As has been said, the BNP have a few "catching" policies" as did Labour, some great ideas and then you get the "other" policies that didn't get spoken about or were buried so deep you didn't know.

It's about time the only people allowed to run for government are self made businessmen/women, whether it be a brickie, a plumber, an IT guy - someone who has worked hard and made it, who's scrimped and saved and payed the bills - NOT a career politician straight out of university.

Anyone is eligible to run for power (proven criminals and non UK citizens excepted)

Any good men or women out there?

Jimmy_Green

War Hero
alhucoll said:
...Any good men or women out there?

The problem is that most of the good men and women don't want to be tarnished with the label of 'politician', which more and more seems to be a byeword for liar.

I did however, many months ago whilst listening to Jeremy Vine on Radio2, hear an interview with Councillor Mrs Lurline Champagnie, and what she said was quite refreshing. Can't remember what she said now but at the time it made a positive impression on me and made me think we could do with more people like her in politics.

If you've never heard of her, here's the link.

http://www2.harrow.gov.uk/mguserinfo.asp?uid=54