Altmark WW2

Hi I need help please. I am researching the names on our WW2 war memorial in Worthing West Sussex and one of the names in J J F Smith. The only information that I have been able to find in our local archive records is that this person was severely wounded re the Altmark 16th Feb 1940. Looking on the various websites I have found this person listed in The Navy List Dec 1940 page 109 and in an article about the Altmark's capture. Details below:

Meanwhile the "Altmark" which was jammed in the ice in the inner end of the fjord began to work her engines, and in spite of an order to stop, broke free and attempted to ram the "Cossack" as the destroyer came alongside. The only result of the manoeuvre, however, was the grounding of the "Altmark" herself by the stern. The two ships were now only about 8 feet apart and grappling irons were at once thrown out from the "Cossack", and a boarding-party leaped the gap and drove the German crew before them. For a few minutes hand-to-hand fighting was going on in many parts of the ship and the Germans suffered casualties amounting to seven dead and several wounded. The only British casualty was Mr. J. J. F. Smith, gunner in charge of one of the boarding parties who was severely wounded.

This is the only reference I can find of him, he is not on the CWGC listing, he is not on Ancestry or Find My Past. so has anybody got any idea's as to how I can find some details of him. He isn't listed on HMS Cossacks Crew list. He may not have died I just don't know. We just want our memorial to be more than just a list of names. Help please.

BARNEYRNSM

War Hero
Have you tried applying for his service records? They should be able to work out which Smith it is due to date of death being known?

When I have made enquires before you have to be a close relative and have chapter and verse on the person. I don't know actually if he did die. There was another entry that I just found that also refers to the Altmark where it states Gunner Smith wasn't seriously hurt so I don't know, but I will try. Thanks.

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Hi I need help please. I am researching the names on our WW2 war memorial in Worthing West Sussex and one of the names in J J F Smith. The only information that I have been able to find in our local archive records is that this person was severely wounded re the Altmark 16th Feb 1940. Looking on the various websites I have found this person listed in The Navy List Dec 1940 page 109 and in an article about the Altmark's capture. Details below:

Meanwhile the "Altmark" which was jammed in the ice in the inner end of the fjord began to work her engines, and in spite of an order to stop, broke free and attempted to ram the "Cossack" as the destroyer came alongside. The only result of the manoeuvre, however, was the grounding of the "Altmark" herself by the stern. The two ships were now only about 8 feet apart and grappling irons were at once thrown out from the "Cossack", and a boarding-party leaped the gap and drove the German crew before them. For a few minutes hand-to-hand fighting was going on in many parts of the ship and the Germans suffered casualties amounting to seven dead and several wounded. The only British casualty was Mr. J. J. F. Smith, gunner in charge of one of the boarding parties who was severely wounded.

This is the only reference I can find of him, he is not on the CWGC listing, he is not on Ancestry or Find My Past. so has anybody got any idea's as to how I can find some details of him. He isn't listed on HMS Cossacks Crew list. He may not have died I just don't know. We just want our memorial to be more than just a list of names. Help please.
How 'Bullshit' @Big O D ?

dhobyitch

Lantern Swinger
A Commissioned Gunner J.J.F. Smith was onboard H.M.S. Aurora at the start of the war.
Aurora took part in the Norwegian Campaign... If that is of any help.

IMG_0004.JPG

N

Nippit

Thought I'd have a look and see what I could find. I think Gunner JJF Smith was awarded a DSC whilst serving on Aurora.
He was promoted to Cmd Gnr in AFO 1875/42.
A bit more. He retired 19 December 1954 as a Lt

Last edited by a moderator:
N

Nippit

The fog of war perhaps.
Had a look through the 39/45 Navy Lists for the number of Smith names. An amazing number-some hyphenated to differentiate and like the gentleman we're looking at-given three Christian names.
One smallish ship I looked at had a captain with a hyphenated name the surgeon Lt a WO Gunner and a CWO Gunner all called Smith. It must have driven the Drafting Commodores scatty as they were mostly retired Admirals who had volunteered for War Service

N

Nippit

A bit more information:-

Promoted WO Gunner 1 January 1934
Commissioned Gunner 1 October 1942
Lt 15 March 1948. It appears that by this time he had been awarded a Bar to his DSC.
served:-
1934 Emerald
1937 Excellent
1938 Aurora
1942 Sirius
1947 Vanguard
1949 Excellent-- until retirement
These are the ships in which his active documents were held. He will have seen action on many smaller vessels including the Cossack along the way. From all accounts he was a very large man both as an officer and physically

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J The Lost Submarines in the Meditteranean in WW2 Submariners 13
soleil FB: RNRMC - Happy 100th Birthday Harry Melling - Britain's Oldest WW2 Submariner Submariners 2
soleil FB: HMNB Portsmouth: Seven Sprightly WW2 Veterans Visit HMS Queen Elizabeth The Fleet 9
M Ships Photographers in WW2. History 10
O Advice needed on order of medals earned by my Granddad in WW2 History 29
B shore establishments in WW2 The Quarterdeck 6
S HMS/TS Foudroyant ww2 History 13
B Dad was on schooner Zuoduchos Pigi in WW2 The Fleet 0
K HMS Vega WW2 - more info The Fleet 2
S Help with ww2 record Miscellaneous 3
D FAA WW2 The Fleet Air Arm 7
MoD_RSS British soldiers killed during WW2 are honoured as they are laid to rest MoD News 0
C Dan-Layer's of WW2. History 11
Keithdwat579 Royal Navy WW2 Uniforms History 6
Bad CO Tracking Down a WW2 Service Record History 4
S Late WW2 WO titles query History 1
MoD_RSS News story: Service of commemoration for 5 WW2 Royal Air Force servicemen MoD News 0
Stirlin Secret Agent Selection WW2 Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 4
Wightsparker WW2 bomb closes City Airport Current Affairs 6
P WW2 Service numbers Submariners 5
N WW2 Officer on motorcycle History 15
N WW2 Wren research History 15
MoD_RSS News story: WW2 fusilier's grave rededicated 74 years after his death MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Final resting place of a Yorkshire born WW2 soldier killed in the 'Bridge too... MoD News 0
D Hunting Records - Far East WW2 History 5
D Deserters and those who went AWOL in WW2 The Fleet 15
B List of crew of ships in WW2 History 9
MoD_RSS News story: Grave of Kent born WW2 Pilot Officer finally rededicated after 77 years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Grave of brave Nottingham born WW2 airman finally rededicated MoD News 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp WW2 IOW bombing remembered 75 years on History 8
Trainer HMS VERNON Locations between WW1 and WW2 History 3
H Seeking WW2 RN stoker History 0
MoD_RSS News story: WW2 Wiltshire Regiment soldiers finally laid to rest MoD News 0
H WW2 WREN AUTOBIOGRAPHY - JUST PUBLISHED! History 0
Wightsparker WW2 torpedo blown up Current Affairs 6
Binnie WW2 Vets Miscellaneous 4
London Blue WW2 Gong Help The Quarterdeck 14
ArmyFlying Royal Navy Submarines: A WW2 Submariners Story Submariners 0
ArmyFlying Royal Navy Submarines: A WW2 Submariners Story History 0
W CPO WW2 pilots wings The Fleet Air Arm 7
MoD_RSS News story: Army bomb disposal experts tackle WW2 bomb in Bethnal Green MoD News 0
N WW2 Awards - Badges - Medals and understanding them History 63
S Maltese in the Navy WW2 History 9
S Maltese in the Navy WW2 The Quarterdeck 1
N WW2 Navigator badges / insignias / training History 21
N Info on the different arms of the RN in WW2 History 12
MoD_RSS News story: Minister for the Reserves gifts WW2 records to Polish Government MoD News 0
K WW2 Service research History 1
C WW2 Naval boots History 2
S WW2 Royal Navy History 6