Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alternatives in absence of GCSE English, Maths and Science

Which certificates would be accepted by the RN in order to pursue an application for a role requiring GCSE Maths, English and Science at GCSE A* - C (pre-2017)?

My highest level of education is L4 (Diploma).

crash_evans

War Hero
Take whatever you have to the AFCO and I am sure they will advise what is acceptable. If it is a trek, give them a call before hand.

YA

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Thanks for the reply! Contacted AFCO already and they haven't got a clue. Perhaps they just couldn't be bothered to answer.
Maybe they really don't know and need to check up. Educational qualifications and their equivalents are a bit of a minefield.

Taztiff

War Hero
My highest level of education is L4 (Diploma).
From google (https://www.allaboutschoolleavers.co.uk/articles/article/227/what-is-a-level-4-qualification):
Qualifications in England, Wales and Northern Ireland are grouped into levels, from Entry Level to Level 8.

Level 4 qualifications:
Certificate of Higher Education
Key Skills Level 4
NVQ Level 4
BTEC Professional award, certificate and diploma Level 4
Certificate of Higher Education
HNC

Perhaps more info abut the type of L4 (Diploma) may help? All of those are much higher then GCSEs.
The RN has historically taken great store in lining people up to roles using GCSEs (and the old GCEs and CSEs). The level you attest to here could be potentially used for Officer roles dependent on the subject.
Go back to your AFCO with a full list of all your qualifications and the subjects they are in. As mentioned by Wrecker, educational qualifications can be a minefield and it does not help that they keep changing, therefore the careers adviser may not be up to date.

I have spoken with AFCO again, a different advisor this time. They have stated that as well as having 5 GCSEs grade A* - C (5 - 9 after 2017), that I will also need 72 UCAS points from 2017 (180 UCAS points prior). Seems wierd as A - Levels and Diplomas should surely cancel out the need for GCSEs.

With regards to my qualifications, my level 4 (Diploma) is in Web Design, I have a level 3 in Web Foundations (A-Level) and a level 2 (BTEC) in Computer Engineering.

I'm hoping to join as a CIS or ET(WE) with the hopes of becoming a Weapons Engineer Officer.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Blackrat Football Alternatives Diamond Lil's 17
MoD_RSS Online isolation notes launched - providing proof of coronavirus absence from work MoD News 0
soleil "Royal Navy Returns To Glasgow After 20 Year Absence" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
T J/r's conspicuous by their absence The Fleet Air Arm 14
slim Rapist convicted in his absence Current Affairs 1
MoD_RSS Guide to GCSE results for England, 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS GCSE and A level students to receive centre assessment grades MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Triple lock for students ahead of A level and GCSE results MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofqual GCSE and A level consultation outcomes and autumn exam series proposals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofqual publishes initial decisions on GCSE and A level grading proposals for 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofqual seeks views on GCSE and A level grading proposals for 2020 MoD News 0
Gematria GCSE Science - Advanced Apprenticeship Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
MoD_RSS Open letter: GCSE tier entry guidance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Inter-subject comparability in GCSE modern foreign languages MoD News 0
MoD_RSS GCSE entries to arts and core academic subjects rise MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Guide to GCSE results for England, 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Education Secretary says post-16 options better than ever, as GCSE results released MoD News 0
MoD_RSS GCSE 9 to 1 grades MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Revisions to music and dance GCSE, AS and A levels MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Long-term plan for GCSE computer science confirmed MoD News 0
S Applying for the TMO Officer Role but no GCSE math Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
MoD_RSS News story: Consultation on changes to performance rules in GCSE, AS and A level music and dance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Future assessment of GCSE computer science MoD News 0
A GCSE Certificates help Joining the Royal Navy 4
klgreload Having no GCSE certificates for Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 6
I Joining as dual citizen- need gcse/a levels? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
NateDogg GCSE's essential? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
3 Misplaced GCSE certificates before Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
S Deck Officer Cadet - GCSE worries! RFA 9
B Not done GCSE,s RFA 8
D Maths GCSE resit whilst serving The Quarterdeck 6
N GCSE or equivalent???? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
E GCSE Certificates. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
M missing a GCSE!! argh!!! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
Squirrel Language GCSE's - no need to sit an oral exam. Current Affairs 17
slim New GCSE builds teenagers' skills Diamond Lil's 3