Almost there! A few specific questions...

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by daitrialz, Oct 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is my first post on this forum, so hello to all. I am a 25 year old post grad Maths BSc & PGCE 11-18 applying for Officer Aircrew (Pilot)

I just came back from FATs at Cranwell having passed all three disciplines (Pilot, Observer and ATC) I managed to max the pilots maths test and was told that my scores were highly competitive.

Now I face the AIB and with my age, traveling and teaching experience I feel very confident. However I want to ask a few specific question, that I cant seem to find the answer to online... well not answered within such specific context...

I have already passed a medical exam, which included eyes, ears and general health, urine, "cough" etc

Would I still have to do a medical at the end of AIB? Is the Aircrew medical stricter than standard and that means you do two?

I am very confident in my health but have heard story's of little things like reach or measurements spoiling things. In the unlikely event that I failed the medical at AIB are there any options left for a 25 yr old whose hart is set on pilot. For example, the army air corps medical may not be as strict because they only have helicopters, no jets. I want to be prepared for bad news even though i remain optimistic. I don't think I would take a non-aircrew job as it is the only thing that I really want!

Thank you, David

2. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

All you need to be a pilot is the following:

1. A name like "Algy" "Ginger" or "Carstairs"
    2. A black labrador
    3. An impressive moustache
    4. A pipe

If you have all of the above, a medical is irrelevant.

3. am very confident in my health but have heard story's of little things like reach or measurements spoiling things.
    Don't leave yourself open to sarcastic comments :wink: Ex Teacher? lose the tunnel vision.
    DON'T WORRY JUST DO IT!!!

4. the medical at the CAAMB must be done in addition to any medicals you have done so far; it will test things like ECG, EEG, etc etc.

have fun.

ps, you may go up diddly up,, but you're still a git!

5. Read a couple of aviation type books like
    "Biggles Flies Undone :D

6. I love you guys already... Biggles flies undone! lol, maybe you've also read Alfred eats at fu-ju-larje

Its just a lot of pressure. I had a cap on a tooth after an accident about 3 years back, I think the dentist hit a sinus because it occasionally plays up...

I'm sure you can understand that I'd hate to do well at everything and one little thing with my health let me down! I always stay on top of things, hence the question about the army air corps (yuk) ... but you have to have a backup plan right!?

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Assuming you've already passed the lantern test to establish you meet colour perception standard one, the medical examiner is already aware of the sinus problems, you pass AIB at a high enough standard to be selected & you physically join BRNC to commence training before your 26th birthday, there's nowt to worry about unduly.

Medical standards for Aircrew are pretty much the same for all 3 services.

Best of luck - What could possibly go wrong?

8. Rumrat to make a post? :)

9. I'm a keen pilot myself. I have my PPL (private pilots licence) and CPL (commercial pilots licence) and i'm currently taking my ATPL (airline transport pilots licence) theory exams.

Hopefully, If i pass my ATPL theory exams, i'll be able to get my wings.

I think it's far tougher being selected to be a pilot in the military than doing in privately (like myself) or at a flying academy. If you got a spare £60,000 and you pass the medical, they'll train you.