Allies at last

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by athwartship, May 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We are to join forces with the French producing two new Aircraft Carriers.
    Allies at last?
    I don't think so.

The French are supplying the Argentine Government with the latest Exocet missiles as we speak.
    Oil is about to be discovered on a commercial scale in the Falklands and the Argentine Air Force with French help will sink any of our warships who seek to defend our interests.
  2. Makes you proud doesn't it. Thing is this country is at the limit on what it can achieve on its own now. Will Britain ever have a ship from the keel up designed and constructed without American or European help?
  3. Well, there's a fckin surprise!
  4. And our "silent service" will sink their warships ------- again.
  5. Second world war Argentine cruiser being sunk by our vastly expensive submarine.
    The weapon to sink the Belgrano cost more than the 40 year old ex-American cruiser was worth. Make sense to you ? Not to me.
  6. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

More bollox from Norma, torpedo used was the straight point and shoot Mk8, probably some of the cheapest weapons around at the time
  7. and the boat fired three of them :bball: :bball:
    no expense spared -----oldie but goody

:nemo: :nemo:
  8. Do those things have a must use by date. I know the ammo every now and then we would have good Rat a Tat Tat day along withe the good OLd Charlie G that would clear the wax no problem!
  9. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I believe that I am right when I say that they are now out of service. Perhaps there's a knuckledragger lurking that can give the full SP. Built and testing started around 1934 and continued in service until the mid '80's, I suppose the warhead section had some sort of time limit but th main body on dummy warhead fish was used over and over again.
  10. Makes sense to me.

Are you one of these people who knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing?

I could continue with a diatribe on what was achieved by this single act, but you either already know and don't care, or don't want to know.
  11. Is that a shortened name for 'diarrhoea tribe'?

Is that the tribe that Norma belongs to?

Now I understand why so much shit comes from his gob.
  12. Don't we have some old Polaris missiles that need decommissioning cheaply. After all, Galtieri did say that he was happy to sacrifice 30,000 Argentine lives to recover the Falklands. We could let him recover them for one minute then strike! :twisted: Buenos Aries would look rather nice glowing in the dark at several thousand degrees, though I would miss some of their old architecture.
  13. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

For those nostalgic for the traditional fish, there's one on Gunwharf Quays for people to sit on while they watch the world go by.
  14. ....bin there, dun that..... :thumright:
  15. We've been allies with the French before; the Crimea, the 1st lot and the 2nd lot, Korea and Suez. If they have the kit and a decent tactical location, Johnny Frog will fight as well as any Elmer Sepic.

Selling to the Argentinians is unfortunate but they do have limited chances to earn a crust these days. If the Gauchos do try to make life difficult, the Government has a number of options. Prevail upon France to cease support to a Nation hostile to an ally, reinvest in our Naval and amphibious forces (the Air Force no longer has 5,000 mile range bombers) to make interference an unattractive and suicidal option or do nothing. Now, let's think; what's this Government good at?
  16. I know this gets brought up every time, but why is it everyone seems to remember that the French sold the Argies Exocet, but forgets that we'd also sold them two 42s, both of which were operational in 1982 and could have been responsible for the deaths of UK personnel if the Argentine Navy had decided to 'come out and play'.

So the French are selling weapons to the Argies again. We've sold weapons to all kinds of horrendous regimes in the last twenty years, including through DESO to many lovely African governments. We do love our hypocrisy at times don't we :thumright: