Allergies

Thanks, I am currently waiting for blood test results for allergies, because I thought it might be asked exactly what I was allergic to. I get mild hayfever, just sneezing. I am sure that cat/dog hair is the only trigger. I have never had time off work for either. I was prescribed an inhaler to help with the wheezing, but, as I said, never had to use it other than when near cats or dogs, especially not due to stress or exercise. I find that normal antihistamines are mostly sufficient to deal the allergy. Cheers.

Magda

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Thought I'd post here rather than start another thread.

I visited an old school friend today - he's just finished a medical degree. He was asking me about my RN application and looked quite thoughtful when I explained about it all. I think he may be toying with the idea of joining as a Medical Officer, although he didn't say the actual words. I was wondering if AngryDoc could just answer a question or two, just cos I's interested.

He suffered bad asthma as a child, and was on all kinds of inhalers (2 carrier bags full, my mum was appalled when he came to stay!). He grew out of it by the time he was about 15 and they have now realised that the severity of his asthma was linked to cat hair. He only has breathing issues now when he visits someone who has cats, and doesn't carry/use an inhaler as far as I know. IF he wants to join, would the cat allergy cause a problem?

Also he broke his leg as a 5 year old - but played hockey for his Uni so it clearly isn't causing him a problem now (but I'm aware there are stringent RN regulations which have to be adhered to.)

Any thoughts AD? :) Ta! And Merry Christmas!

A

angrydoc

He suffered bad asthma as a child, and was on all kinds of inhalers (2 carrier bags full, my mum was appalled when he came to stay!). He grew out of it by the time he was about 15 and they have now realised that the severity of his asthma was linked to cat hair. He only has breathing issues now when he visits someone who has cats, and doesn't carry/use an inhaler as far as I know. IF he wants to join, would the cat allergy cause a problem?

Also he broke his leg as a 5 year old
He'll need a full respiratory assessment and it's hard to comment further to be honest. Allergies can be sticky wickets - depends how he is on the day. Not a definite no, but not a definite yes either.

Leg: depends what he broke and what was done with it. Risk of premature arthritis etc.

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
It's actually a very good question.

A Mate of mine flies Typhoons and has to take a cat up with him as they have a mouse problem. He sneezed like Billy Ocean in a pepper factory and ended up ejecting near Folkstone.

Magda

War Hero
Book Reviewer
He'll need a full respiratory assessment and it's hard to comment further to be honest. Allergies can be sticky wickets - depends how he is on the day. Not a definite no, but not a definite yes either.

Leg: depends what he broke and what was done with it. Risk of premature arthritis etc.
Ok, thanks for the information! If he IS interested, I'll direct him to the nearest AFCO (in Liverpool *shudder*) but warn him that he might not hear what he wants to hear. Not that this will bother him much... he hasn't actually voiced an interest yet, only he asked me a million and one questions about the application process and seemed to ponder quite deeply.

Thank you AD!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
FusionJCE Health & Fitness 5
S Health & Fitness 7
G The Corps 16