Allergies

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by smiddy, Feb 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I did bring this up in another thread, it got a small response from a couple of people but i was hoping for a little more infomation.

I want to join the royal marines, i believe that i am currently more than fit enough to pass the PRMC, as ive been training in the gym, 4 days a week for a little over a year now, as well as working full time in a physically demanding job, but my whole life has been based on the goal of joining the royal marines, and the only reason ive waited to the age of 21 is because my parents are strongly opposed to it, they want me in an office job, where i am safe, and frankly id rather be in a box underground than live a life like that !

Anyway to the point, i have an allergy to peanuts, when i was younger it seemed quite severe, such as touching them would bring out a rash, and possibley cause sneezing etc, but for the past 15 years things have progressively got better, and symptons have gotten much less severe, anyway 2 years ago i figured the allergy must of gone, so i had myself tested, but unforchunatly found out that im still allergic. Its only a problem for me if i eat the peanuts, which would result in quite a bad rash, sneezing possibly coughing, but can be overcome with anti-histimine (basically hay fever tablets)

would i be automatically be reguarded as unsuitable and therefor not alowed to enter, or would they look at my case and give me a fair shot, realistically what are my chances on them accepting me.

Honestly i would be devestated if i was rejected, as my whole life practically its what ive wanted to do, its what ive told all my friends and family what i am going to do, aswell as having a big breakdown with my relationship with my parents wanting a career in the royal marines.
    keeping at it against the constant negativity and them constantly telling me id never make it was managable, but going home and explaining i failed on the first hurdle would kill me.

2. Smiddy

I've already answered your question (as an RN Medical Officer) on the other thread. I have every sympathy for you, but please read my previous response. Significant food allergy is an avoidable risk, and we would be failing in our duty of care to put you in an avoidable potentially lethal situation. Your reaction to peanuts sounds pretty severe in my book (put it like this - if you walked into my Emergency Department I'd give you adrenaline with a reaction like you describe). If you really want to go for it, then submit your papers but again I strongly strongly recommend DO NOT LIE ON THE FORM - you will be found out and it will not reflect well on you personally. Just make sure you are aware that rejection on medical grounds is likely.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

3. Thanks, i have no intension of actually lying on the form, In the previous post it was more a case of words of desperation than actual intensions, Im not "stupid" as you put it before, to go down that route.

I was actually hoping for some positive responses, with words of encouragement! (even if its unlikely) Deal day in day out with set backs, just need something to keep me going, along the lines of "yea i know such and such with a certain allergy, he explained it all when he applied and hes well taken care of"

4. How about these for words of encouragement?

Go for it, it doesn't matter, no bad will come of it, you'll be ok.

BTW never spoil words of encouragement with the truth.

5. Forgive me if this is a Stupid Question, But am i right in assuming that there are ways of introducing things that you are alergict too, My teachers daughter had this opportunity with Eggs, Basically - The Doctors offered to Introduce it into her body slowly (But Probably Painfully, and with a few alergic reactions), And keep it going from there.. I have no idea on the subject so i'll leave it at that and let the others post there oppinions on what you should do.

6. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Doctors that make that sort of offer to young ladies frequently get striuck off and imprisoned :thumright:

7. Thanks for the replies guys, they are all very much apprieated. I also apologise for the minor rant, it's very out of character for me, but its easy to let off some steam online, in comparison to doing it in person.

I am still going to apply for the corps, the honest way, even if its likely that im to be rejected, you never know till you try. Still i will keep my chin up, and carry on either way of the outcome.

If however i am unsucessful, are their any branches of the Army that would allow me to join? im also aware that soldiers from the regular army can take the commando training, and if they pass, are eligable to wear the green beret. is this true ?