Allergies

Obelix

Badgeman
I suffer from severe dust allergies, and am entering the navy shortly. From what I've heard, alot of cleaning and scrubbing goes on aboard ships. Is this cleaning mainly on the outside, or is the interior also kept constantly dust-free and clean?

A really numpty question, I know, but has major health implications for me.
 
Obelix said:
I suffer from severe dust allergies, and am entering the navy shortly. From what I've heard, alot of cleaning and scrubbing goes on aboard ships. Is this cleaning mainly on the outside, or is the interior also kept constantly dust-free and clean?

A really numpty question, I know, but has major health implications for me.
I would guess that there is a lot less dust around in RN establishments and ships simply because there is a lot of cleaning done. On the other hand a little regular exposure may well de-sensitise you. Somebody with more knowledge of allergies may well have better advice, but I worry about the wisdom of the RN in letting you join with such a severe problem.
 

aussiepint

War Hero
Obelix, I agree with Wardmaster on this one. If you are that compromised by you allergy, then your real concern is whether you would be medically fit in the first place to join the RN. Unless you just don't like cleaning :)
 
Take a load of antihistamines with you, prescribed of course. Which you'll have anyway, so that won't be an issue for you.
 
I served for 24 years and the RN and a pusser's war canoe are the best place for someone like myself who also suffered with an allergy to both dust and cats. Used to be a nightmare when we still had blankets, but with duvets now days there is nothing that should bother you.

Regards and enjoy your life in the mob
 

dt018a9667

War Hero
If you are joining the mob you will just have to get used to it.
Life in a blue suite my friend.
:wink: :wink:
 
dt018a9667 said:
If you are joining the mob you will just have to get used to it.
Life in a blue suite my friend.
:wink: :wink:
So matelots get there own suite these days, not just sleeping on a messdeck.... how times change. :grin:
 

Obelix

Badgeman
Cheers Supermario, puts my mind at ease a bit.

I'm hoping that as I get fitter, my overall health will improve too, and with that the allergies. Could just be this London air, never had anything this bad in my native South Africa.

And its safer as all the dust glows in the dark!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
 

dt018a9667

War Hero
Always_a_Civvy said:
dt018a9667 said:
If you are joining the mob you will just have to get used to it.
Life in a blue suite my friend.
:wink: :wink:
So matelots get there own suite these days, not just sleeping on a messdeck.... how times change. :grin:
So i got it wrong, ah well there is allways another day.

:oops: :oops: :oops:
 

Latest Threads

Top