Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by seacat-op, Feb 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sorry if this is in the wrong place or been asked before, but could someone please settle an argument??

Who or what do the Royal navy swear allegiance to
  2. I have never been required to swear allegiance to anyone. The Royal Navy serves the crown, but sailors don't take an oath. The Army do, don't know about the crabs. Probably something to do with many a sailor of old waking up with a sore head and the floor moving beneath him, while the army took the Kings shilling and signed up more willingly I should imagine. Not much point in making someone swear an oath when you've already got him at sea.
  3. thanks for the reply, thats what I thought but I got into a drunken argument with an ex squaddie who bet me a tenner
  4. I know you were talking about sailors. But i know royal marines pledge allegiance.
  5. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

"I promise to do my best, to do my duty to God and to the queen"............Fcuk me, you never loose it eh? 8)
  6. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Thats the Boy Scout one :lol:
  7. The army swear allegiance (and are called "British" rather than "Royal") because they rose up against the crown in the Civil War.
  8. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Great colour lid they wear as well.... :p
  9. The reason matelots cannot become Yeoman Warders, we dont swear allegiance, were as pongos and crabs can.

So I was told a long time ago.
  10. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Traditionally the allegiance of members of the Royal Navy is beyond doubt, and therefore has no need to be sworn. I suppose this will change when what used to be the Royal Navy is the British taxpayers' sub to the European Maritime Defence Force.
  11. I think you'll find that they can, but need to have reached the rate of CPO.

12. Thank you for the corection I was missinformed
  13. Aye, the Army and Royal Chair Force both swear allegiance to the Queen, whereas the navy don't. If you're interested, the oath is:

"I, <Recruit's Name Here>, swear by almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II , her heirs and successors, and that I will as in duty bound honestly and faithfully defend Her Majesty, her heirs and successors in person, crown and dignity against all enemies, and will observe and obey all orders of Her Majesty, her heirs and successors and of the [Generals/Air Officers] and Officers set over me"

14. Altough other souces state;

Yeoman Warders began guarding the Tower in 1485; today there are 35 Yeomen Warders and one Chief Warder. All warders are retired from the British Armed Forces and must be former senior non-commissioned officers with at least 22 years of service. They must also hold the Long Service and Good Conduct medals. NCOs from the Army, Royal Marines and Royal Air Force are eligible to apply, but members of the Royal Navy are not, because while members of the other services take oaths to the Crown, members of the Navy take an oath to the Admiralty.

15. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Your info there is out of date shippers. Matelots have been allowed for at least 9 years now. I went round the tower in '99. and the ex-squaddie showing us round (and taking the piss out of the RN at every opportunity) told me about the first matelot they had working there (he quit fairly quickly if I recall correctly). He said that the traditional reason why Jack had never been allowed to do it before was because we were pressed men, not volunteers.
  16. Seeweed

I think you will find that only applies to Commissioned Officers. What happens now we have Warrant Officers again I do not know.

The allegiance of all the ratings involved in major and minor mutinies and the presence of Booties to protect the Officers indicates they were not trusted beyond doubt.

Then again perhaps you were are an Officer and have yet to learn that all them people running about in No4's are actually human.

17. I served with a guy, a PO (SR), whose father was a Yeoman Warder, and he pretty much grew up at the tower. His ambition was also to become a Yeoman Warder but knew he had to get his chief's first (as well as the other qualifying criteria as mentioned).
  18. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Actually Nutty I experienced mutinies in two of my ships but this is about allegiance to duty when push comes to shove, not little upsets inside the ship. Incidentally the first of these mutinies was sorted by a midshipman after the Jaunty had had to retreat after being pelted with tomatoes (their being still in their tins may have had something to do with that). Invergordon in fact showed how very loyal many sailors were under absolutely intolerable provocation, utter tactlessness from in the Admiralty and on extraordinary blunder caused by an admiral being off sick. It, like Spithead and the Taranto mutiny of the British West Indies Regiment, was about pay and what was seen as the Govt having defaulted on the contract. Loyalty is a two-way street.
  19. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Contributor mode:

Nutty wrote
    FFS Nutty, how long have you been outside? Still bitter at that officer who picked you up for saying 'them' when you should have said 'those' and consequently you tar the entire officer corps past present and future with the same broad brush from your pot of bile? There are idle useless unseamanlike bitter twisted jealous passengers among all ranks and rates.
  20. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Fair one, especially in the WE branch! :wink: