All you guys that serve on boats.

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Kelborn, Jan 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I admire each and every one of you. Personally, I'd find the prospect of spending extended periods of time without having the chance of seeing daylight or outside so to speak really depressing.

How do you deal with such enclosed conditions?

Sorry if it's a bone question.

2. Contributor Mode

Easy Kelborn you either are on watch or asleep with a bit of work and eating in between.

Nutty

3. You don't ''deal '' with them you accept them.

Whats so desperate about seeing or being outside???? I bet you spend most of your life cooped up at a desk/in a building out of the weather or in crowded shops.
    And live in a suburbian estate where you daren't make a noise for fear of upsetting the neighbours!!

:nemo: :nemo:

4. The phenomenon I found strangest was that after a few days at sea, particularly when dived, when you looked at a clock it gave you the time, but you seemed to have lost track of whether it was am or pm.
    Then again, you weren't going anywhere, so what did it matter?

5. There's a problem with UK SSN's these days.
    Most of them are broke/OPDEF'd and hardly
    make it beyond the Breakwater on the 1st
    attempt.
    If you care to try a "taste" of life on a boat
    please try the following:
    a. To experience life onboard as a Comms Rate:

(P&O Class - although 6 on - 6 off didn't really apply)

(1). Take your PC into the toilet of your house + books (Hardback)
    (2). Shut the door
    (3). Stay there for 6 hours and type stuff
    (4). Page by Page ALL your collection of books/Magazines
    (5). Tune a portable radio into a Dutch AM Broadcast and memorise
    everything that is said...repeat it back, as if you are passing instructions
    to the Control Room from a Bad-Speaking Foreign Helicopter Pilot who
    is babbling at you through a dodgy throat-microphone
    (6). Turn the light off and sit in the dark for a while
    (7). On completion of your 6 hour stint, leave the toilet, ensuring
    that ALL house lights are off. (This will replicate trying to get through
    the Control Room in Black Lighting). If this cannot be achieved, use a
    blindfold.
    (8). Go to the kitchen and eat whatever is put in front of you at 100 m.p.h.
    (9). Go to the front room and sleep BEHIND the sofa, but firstly, prepare a
    tape recording of various noises. (A vacuum cleaner/de-humidifier/
    people having nightmares etc will suffice)
    (10). Play THIS for 5 hours and 59 minutes
    (11). Get back up - repeat the cycle for the next 20 weeks or so.
    (12). Washing is optional...at least it used to be.

In truth, it was a whole lot of fun.

Ref: Not knowing what the time was.

W/T Office in ZULU time
    Control Room in BRAVO/DELTA time
    Mess in GMT

Didn't know what YEAR it was....let alone the time.

Ohhhhh....and a malevolent sense of humour is essential.

6. 98% boredoom 2% terror?...LOL

7. :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

8. Only 2% terror...didn't you do any sneakies or Op Dice's then?...Tee hee :nemo:

9. Mastrubation is a wonderful thing :):)

Mind you now days if you get the right T boat is even better as you can have Mutual Masturbation sessions :):)

10. If you're a Faslane rating then Vengeance (Starfish) is probably better :thumright:

11. In the eighties on Polaris, totally boring, full of people who had no other experiance, took the first opportunity to get out.

12. Doing a Perisher or a WUPS (workups) is a load of fun and merriment is had by all...unless your kipped out.... :thumright:

Otherwise most times it's eat, shit, watch, sleep,eat, shit, watch, sleep,eat, shit, watch, sleep,eat, shit, watch, sleep,eat, shit, watch, sleep,birdbath,eat, shit, watch, sleep,eat, shit, watch, sleep,eat, shit, watch, sleep,Sunday Routine,eat, shit, watch, sleep,eat, shit, watch, sleep,eat, shit, watch, sleep, and that's if your 1 in 3...

Otherwise, day and night doesn't exist on a boat, about the only time you know it's daylight is when your running on the surface and lookouts are required, or you want to go up for a bit of fresh air, if your kinky like... :rendeer:

13. THanks for all the responses guide. It's an interesting insight into submarine life.

Also, how many times can the joke about the submarine being long hard and full of seamen be told before it gets old?

=)

14. You must have been on a shit boat then?

15. PMSL :thumright: :thumright: :thumright: :) :) :)

16. From the replies it is obvious that most of you were in nukes, not the REAL boats circa 1960 :pukel: On them you didn't get time to play with yourself - either too knackered or to busy trying to keep the bloody things from sinking!

Day time, 2 on 4 off
    Night time 3 on 6 off if you're lucky

When off, lying in a "hot" bunk, trying to miss the drips of diesel.

17. Oh Happy days Artful `63/64 leaky, smelly, the great unwashed,terrifying-yes when on the surface wind really blowing a hooley unable to dive as snort valve jammed partially open, smashing it with a sledge hammer running both donks at full speed with engine room bulk head doors closed to produce a vaccuum to enable said valve to close. It did finally when my turn in engine room, then what is best described as a fast exit to calmer waters beneath. Terror yes afterwards when you realise what could have been ,great food ,great mates. Do it all again? Why not!

18. Or the fun you have while snorting on the surface and the control room is in night lighting and the smoke curtains are down and some idiot uses their head to shut said valve....... :rendeer:

19. Does wonders for loose fillings in your teeth, in my case pulled a F*****g
    great absess in my lower gum, come the revolution I will line up that son of a bitch Dental surgeon, who cut the tops of the wisdom tooth gum to "allow them to break through and make your life easier", in the firing line and command fire!

20. Vengeance (Starfish) - is she still known by that. It was pink crew when I was on there (amoungst other names!!!)