All you ever needed to know about joining the Navy....

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Ninja_Stoker, Nov 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Two of the "Recruiting Bibles" :
    BR 3
    Naval Personnel Management - Chapter 4 onwards
    and BR1750A Handbook of Naval medical standards can now be downloaded from the Royal Navy website.

At long last, Chapter 5 of BR3 is now visible to all & it actually tells you the Recruiting Test scores required for each branch!

On the plus side, this will obviously be the end of the mystery that is recruiting & negate the need to answer procedural queries (Huzzah).

On the negative side however - those aspiring to join the Royal Navy can now quote the rules in in time-honoured "messdeck lawyer" fashion. :wink:

2. And they'll still say "I read this in ...", is it true? :wink:

3. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, some may be interested to read Chapter 15, article 1503 before they gob-off about not being allowed to do the job they wanted to when they joined.

4. Just read all that but my oppo's mate's uncles grandad who was a chef in 1950 said that........ :wink:

5. Well done Ninja,

Give yourself a Make & Mend; but be sure to be quick about it because tomorrow morning some one will be back from the carwash to inquire:

'Yes, but what does BR stand for?'

Bob

:roll:

6. What are the RTs out of? 30 marks each?

7. Thats great, thanks a lot Ninja.
    I'm reading the bit about the sift interview there now.
    Whats "The Kill Question?"
    Is that like "How do you feel that you may potentially have to kill?" or am I just being to literal

Thanks again, this is really handy, I'm going to scan over it now before bed.

8. Ah - at last BR3...nice. Gone on draft now though so I won't be needing it :lol: nice to know though...

9. Ninja_Stoker

The "Killer question" is the one that you don't expect, such as "What's your most embarrassing moment?" or "What life decisions do you regret?"

30 points per section, 120 points total.

10. Cheers.

11. Any ideas why? Seeing as the RN is the "senior service", logically (in my mind) they'd be senior...

12. Ninja_Stoker

In order to answer the random cropped quote, one would need a little more to go on- ie: what is it, where is it & in what context?

13. "Equivalent ranks table (From JSP 752 & 754)"

BR3, it's on the last page.

14. It appears to have come from the Equivalent Ranks Table in BR3.
    In answer to the question, AB in that table is split into Able Rate 1 and Able Rate 2 whereas the Army and RAF equivalent has only one rank, it would make sense therefore that when you are an Able Rate 1 you are not yet of equivalent rank as say a full private in the Army, however once you are an Able Rate 2 you are indeed fully equivalent.

I really wouldn't worry about it, if you were in a pub with a load of Army Privates wanting to compare who was best I very much doubt it would be assessed using a table in such a document.

15. Ninja_Stoker

AB2 is the rating (rank) which you join as a recruit. (Years ago this was Ordinary Seaman or MEM2, Diver2. RO2, WTR2, CH2, AEM2 etc.,)

Once you complete your Standard Initial Training Period (SITP), you become an AB1 which is technically senior to Army & RAF of equivalent rank - although if you were to tell your other service counterpart you are senior & they must do as you say, you'll probably be in need of a rectal toothbrush.

If you watched the Festival of Rememberance or the Cenotaph yesterday, you'll note the matelots always get the "front seats" ahead of the other services.

16. Nice one Ninja.

You can be an idiot to do some of the jobs.

17. what has made the top brass decide to make this visable to everyone??

18. Ninja_Stoker

Dunno, probably Freedom of Information.

When you think of it, half the reason for the questions on here were because the publication was not in the public domain - it's hardly fair to say: "Sorry that's against the rules" if we don't tell people what the rules are.

19. I don't want to sound like I am teaching you to suck eggs but are you going to make this a sticky?

20. Ninja_Stoker

I put it on the FAQ section yesterday, but good call.