All Submariners to be taught Welsh

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by trelawney126, Oct 16, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News - Scottish independence: What will it mean for Wales?
    if Scotland suceed in their referendum campaign the Welsh Assembly will welcome the nuclear fleet. Penbroke dock seems likeliest venue. Raleigh has already been implementing the dual English/Welsh language door signs for all their new submariner recruits

2. Falmouth would be my preferred choice :)

3. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Barrow on Furness. You know it makes sense

4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

We had a lad in my recruit troop who's first language was welsh, there was only a couple of times his language skills let him down. One time learning the art of being nasty bastards we were getting taught about the claymore mine, the conversation between the Training team Cpl and "taff" went like this...

DS Cpl: "Right then Scrotes, todays lesson is about the Claymore mine"
    ...Nods of approval....
    DS Cpl "The Claymore mine is full of ball bearings, Ball bearing are deemed nasty and there use has been banned by the Geneva Convention so lucky for you lot we've taken all the ball bearings out of the ones you'll ever use and replaced them with small metal spheres."
    Recruit Taff...."Corporal, What's a metal sphere Corporal?"
    DS Cpl "A Ball bearing"
    Recruit Taff "But Corporal, there banned Corporal"
    DS Cpl "Down and give me twenty bastards you dumb ****"

5. Have they mastered English now then? Or are they learning both at the same time?

6. wal

wal Badgeman

You only want it there as there are all the Falmouth Flooseis'

7. Storeman Taffy
    The soil in the Rhonda is so dark they plasnt light bulbs

8. Falmouth was pusser's choice when we first got bombers.

It's a large deep water harbour with direct access to the open sea, the pollies decided Faslane was better so stuck them in a Loch, then have to negotiate Rhu Narrows and transit the Clyde so every Soviet agent had plenty of time to let Moscow know one was sailing. Gotta love pollies.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Falmouth is out of the question now. They are having enough trouble dredging for the cruise liners they want.

Barrow in Furness or Portland.

10. Lough Foyle.Served us well during the battle of the Atlantic.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  11. If it saves shit loads of dosh do you think we could build Hadrian's wall about 20ft higher and redeploy the troops from Bastion.
    We could tell the EU its not discrimination, more a mass re enactment.
    Arrivederci.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  12. The channel is so shallow, they have to dredge it for weeks and you can only use it about 10 days a year. So thats out.

13. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

When they don't renew the Bombers everything will move to Guz which has most of the gear already.

14. Nice picture of Astute on that Beeb article about bombers!

15. Discussion on where to site the Bombers
    We need a site for the nuclear deterrent, how about the south coast, the south coast!, what if one of them goes off, think of the damage, Cowes, Henley, Royal ascot, the boat race, good god, half the cabinet live in Hampshire, find somewhere up North, how about the East coast, Grimsby?, no, too near the Yorkshire moors, eh?, Grouse man Grouse, ruin the shooting, no, further North, Scotland then? Good idea, when you make the announcement add that we will scrap the licensing hours and the pubs will stay open all day, ok.

• Like Like x 1
  16. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Isn't Guzz the only other port in the UK with a nuclear license?

17. Faslane and Guzz have 'X' berths for boats for nuclear work etc, many others (Southampton, Liverpool, Pompey etc) have 'Z' berths meaning nukes can go alongside for short periods and the berths have the facilities required without work being carried out onboard. That's a rough appraisal. the rules are quite long and complex.

18. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Yes, I can imagine they are mate!