All Quiet on the Afghan Front?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by fishhead, May 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mercifully no British Servicemen have lost their lives in Afghanistan since the 8th April.(as far as I can ascertain)We may have expected the Taliban to chose this period during the Election Campaign to make a big push to make it an issue.In fact the opposite is true.Does anyone know if there has been a change in tactics on our behalf or any other factors which may have brought about the apparent lull.
  2. Purdah.

You won't hear much of what is going on in Afghanistan until after the election.
  3. Well I were there so I just used my gimpy and mowed down a hell lotta men.
  4. Edit to say spoke too soon. RIP
  5. I think you would, Monty, the good people of Wooton Bassett would see to that. :salute:
  6. Inappropriate This is CA.

Mods need to shift Mattbea to the dont-recycle-Bin, Permanently.
  7. It's never quite there.
  8. Not my point.

It is always busy but tempo will be somewhat more relaxed at this time and purdah limits any reporting.
  9. Whatever the reason it's dammed good and long may it remain so.
  10. The lads are in a transition period at the mo.
  11. Excellent link Soleil, that piece on the IED finder is awesome! How modest he is despite saving countless lives is astounding!
  12. I am told that some of the best guys at spotting IEDs are those who grew up in heavily mined areas from the Soviet conflict. Those guys can spot a pebble out of place on a regularly used track, by all accounts.
  13. I mean, you read about aborigines and such being able to follow animal tracks that are days old, and stalkers that can smell smoke from a mile away, but being able to tell if a bit of wood or a stone is not lying how it naturally should be, is just ridiculous!
  14. I think its the poppy harvest at the moment as well, so there all busy i guess.
  15. I suppose the ones who aren't blessed with this skill are those wandering around Afghanistan on one leg.
  16. You must have led a very sheltered life.
  17. Being a litle cynical my first thoughts were that things were being kept quiet so as not to frighten the horses during the run up to the election.It appears my cyncism was not without foundation.
  18. i thought one of the reasons we are over there is so that we can help the afghan national army destroy all the opium fields.
  19. I am sure it has been said before but taking away the poppy farmers source of income without a replacement would be most unwise.