All Arms Commando Course

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Jgp1000, Dec 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

Does anybody know the likelihood of a surface fleet warfare officer being able to take the course?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Relatively low. I can think of 3 I've met in all my time.

I'd have to ask why you'd want to do it (I did and tried - different branch) apart from a personal factor as (IMHO) it will add relatively nothing to you as a warfairy in career times. In addition in your early career you are likely to be very busy and at sea a lot, usually focussing on the first career courses and hurdles.

Alfred?

3. I've recently received my joining instructions for BRNC as a warfare officer. However my initial application was a RM officer, unfortunately I was age restricted and unable to complete both a POC and AIB in the timeframe available.

So the AACC is a personal interest and challenge that I'd like to complete if it's viable.

I appreciate that I'm planning a long long way into the future here, and the challenges I'll be facing at BRNC should be my only priority!

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Frankly, I can't think of a logical reason why a Warfare Officer would need to undertake AACC. Then again it's always puzzled me why Surgeons, Padres & Schoolies feel the need unless they respectively intend creating casualties to operate upon, serve the last rites upon a terminal victim of their Commando prowess or sit alongside Royal to quiz them how many rounds are left in the magazine after they've fired eight shots out of a possible thirty.

Back in the real world, it tends to be undertaken by RN Officers who wish to be "accepted" by their colleagues in the land of green, working within 3 Cdo Brigade. Be assured however, from Royal's perspective, nothing beats the 'full course' when it comes to true acceptance,

The long and the short of it is that if your job requires it & the service is prepared to pay the wage for a couple of months without reason, go for it & good luck.

• Like Like x 2
  5. It's expensive for them to put you through the course especially as so many guys fail it so they don't just hand them out on request. Best to find out what they need in terms of skills and then see if you can fufill it

6. Not really. There are places there that will be taken up regardless. I've known people who just wanted to have a green lid get on course. If there's room and you can get released you're on it. If there isn't room you'll be prioritised and put on a reserve list dependant on reason for applying.

Passing it however is a different matter.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  7. For a PWO I would have thought it would be a walk in the park.

8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Rarely a consideration, as far as the Service is concerned. :oops: Just concentrate on BRNC for now.

9. I get it, it's the personal pride of tackling something, not because it's easy but because it is hard. Get over obstacle number one, BRNC. And the push like hell for AACC, they can tell you no a thousand times and all you need is that single yes... Go get it and don't stop fighting for it if you really want it.