ALL 6 Type 45s Alongside

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by barny006, Jul 30, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. what a result all 6 alongside, needing new engines, should have kept type 42 modified machinery package,and kept R.R.marine industry in work.

2. Or perhaps they're just on summer leave?

• Like Like x 2
  3. All 6? Whalers, liberty boats?

4. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Big deal, 23s are out there, as are OPVs and RFAs. Have any AAW tasking
    ? call this number 0345 607 5555

5. wave_dodger

err.. not that I'm aware of

6. No they don't.

If you think we should have kept the 42s, then you clearly didn't serve on them toward the end of their life. I did, they were absolutely ******* fuckity fucked, woefully outdated and incapable.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

That describes some posters, perhaps the OP.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Seadog

New DGs are on the cards but not today or tomorrow-or this leave period.

9. Monty OH yes I did Manch AER Southampton CC. no worse than type 14's or my first ship Whitby 10 months out the FEZ in hammocks no Air Con.

10. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

I don't really follow naval engineering any more, but I think I read some material about this. All to do with capacity rather than reliability?

11. Darings, Battles, CAs, County Class, right down to the frigates of the day all had some sort of problem. On Diana we used to run on one screw only as the white-metal used to get knackered on the port gland, water making was virtually zero and we used to chase rain clouds and shower on the upper deck. Air con was wind scoops poked out the scuttles and hope no gophers came inboard. These new ships are going to have teething problems though they seem to be massive at the moment. The new DGs will be better. :cool:

12. Aren't two (Daring and Diamond) due to deploy shortly ? Plus Defender not long back from deployment. Dragon undergoing trials having completed dockyard maintenance. Load of Sky News Tosh, making something out of nothing, it seems to me

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Currently situation is as follows according to the Save the Royal Navy website:

HMS Daring – test-fired Aster missile 11/7/16. Due to deploy to Gulf soon?
    HMS Diamond – completed Operational Sea Training. Has just returned from visit to Ireland and operating in Scottish waters.
    HMS Dragon completed major refit, recommissioned 8/7/16 and has just returned from visit to Amsterdam.
    HMS Defender – undergoing routine maintenance after returning home on 7th July from successful 9-month deployment to the Gulf.
    HMS Duncan – Completed Gulf deployment last year. Been in UK waters and led Jutland 100 commemorations in May. Now in refit.

• Like Like x 3
  14. wave_dodger

More to do with using things as they were specified....

15. witsend

As in trying to use a 1MW generator to power systems with a 2MW load for example?

16. Seadog

2 x 2 MW DGs. I'm not a 45 boffin but I calculate on a fag packet that one of those is not enough for the harbour load.

17. Looks like someone specified the requirements wrong or someone thought they could do it cheaper?

18. wave_dodger

It's more a case of why we'd possibly bedoing things like that.

19. witsend

Dabbers believing in their own engineering knowledge. Combined with a clusterf*ck at the design stage?

• Like Like x 1
  20. wave_dodger

No, it wasn't that although that compounded it.