Alexa, do one!

Alexa*, turn on lights. Alexa, order bananas. What the fuggity fugg is going on here? Every other advert on telly is for one of these boxes, which seem to be aimed at those too lazy to get off their lardy arses to turn on/off the lights or so illiterate they cannot write a shopping list!

As I see it, you need to buy the box, have a decent WiFi service then presumably a degree of 'smartness' in your house, which will need to be bought, installed and set up. I hate computers!

So my question is - WHY? Why are people buying them unless to be hip with the current trend?

The makers / manufacturers seem to be making them an essential household requirement. Well not in this house matey! I'm not yet so decrepit that I'm unable to turn on or off my room lights, write 'bananas' on a piece of paper to take to the shops or even use Google to check the news or weather.

* Other banal 'lazy box' names are available!

And breathe.

Alexa*, turn on lights. Alexa, order bananas. What the fuggity fugg is going on here? Every other advert on telly is for one of these boxes, which seem to be aimed at those too lazy to get off their lardy arses to turn on/off the lights or so illiterate they cannot write a shopping list!

As I see it, you need to buy the box, have a decent WiFi service then presumably a degree of 'smartness' in your house, which will need to be bought, installed and set up. I hate computers!

So my question is - WHY? Why are people buying them unless to be hip with the current trend?

The makers / manufacturers seem to be making them an essential household requirement. Well not in this house matey! I'm not yet so decrepit that I'm unable to turn on or off my room lights, write 'bananas' on a piece of paper to take to the shops or even use Google to check the news or weather.

* Other banal 'lazy box' names are available!

And breathe.
Thank You Sonar Bender, I was thinking just the same last night when yet another of the stupid f*****n adverts came on. My Mrs just calls me a Victor Meldrew and she might well be right but I'm still not getting one!!

I would not get one as I am paranoid that Alexa is listening all the time, sending info back to Amazon/Google/Kremlin about what we are discussing. Next thing you know you will be bombarded with sales gumph that you have not asked for etc etc etc.

As Knotty says, get off your ar*e and put the lights on/off yourself, or get the mrs to do it! Music, I stream to a Sonos box.

Suprised this thread is not under the things that p**s you off tbh.

Alex Jones of Infowars.com does an interesting feature on Alexa. Reckons its a CIA toy to gain intelligence via the AI built into Amazons Alexa units. Had me in tears watching the item.

Mrs Taztiff got me one for Christmas last year.
Sits in my man cave just streaming music.

However, Mrs Taztiff came in the other week and said 'what are you doing?', before I could answer Alexa piped up with - 'Why don't you go and do the washing up?'
:D

Havn't got a clue how it did that but Mrs Taztiff doesn't come in to the man cave any more!! :)

Bought one for my nipper this year ... did contemplate getting one myself ... only it then started raining and the need for a new pair of wellies materialised!

Suprised this thread is not under the things that p**s you off tbh.
It was a rant! (Actually, I've just noticed that this thread has been put into Community - I put it into Lil's so we could have a laugh. Maybe Alexis noticed........)

It would only piss me off if I had one! I also agree with the other sentiments you posted! I'm afraid I'm one of the tinfoil hat brigade (Spain Chapter) that has HBM over all the laptop/tablet camera lenses.......

Alex Jones of Infowars.com does an interesting feature on Alexa. Reckons its a CIA toy to gain intelligence via the AI built into Amazons Alexa units. Had me in tears watching the item.
Funny thing is, I remember watching that Celebrity Hunted programme and they hacked his f*cking Alexa, and they can repeat back what he's said to it. You never know...

Last edited:
We have an "Alexa", good from streaming Amazon Music. To be honest that's all its good for.
have one on my windows phone, pain in arsse always gobbin off, so I tried to delete the bitch, so in twined almost impossible to shut down, but managed to silence the hobby bitch, Mrs S on the other hand no chance.