Alex Salmond accused of 'talking down' Royal Navy

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by SJRM_RN, Jul 26, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

To be honest, i don't pay much attention to this bloke as he's a complete idiot. He should be fired into space.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Concur with BR. The message here seems to be "aren't the English awful at keeping all those lovely destroyers and frigates away from us". Tit.

3. He seems to have forgotten that the SFA have reserved to themselves the right to protect their own fish; the RN Fishery Protection Squadron aren't allowed in Scottish waters.

• Like Like x 1
  4. But not a majority. And that is the main thing.

• Like Like x 2
  5. And that just proves what a consummate politician this sleekit, slimy, nae-timorous beastie he actually is.

First, bleat on about the right to protect your "own" waters. Second, make sure when you get it that you and only you can do so. third, condemn those who previously protected those waters on behalf of all British citizens for not venturing north of the divide YOU put in place.

You have to admire such chutzpah, just for the sheer Machiavellian quality of it.

6. Is that a simple Telegraph typo or the SoS Defence going outwith the normal use of English?

Anyway, it's clear what wee Jock Mc Plop was trying to say except that he seems to confuse performance with capability.

7. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

You say that Jimbo but when i was up in Scotland recently visiting family, i didn't find one person who liked him or his policies.

• Like Like x 3
  8. He does have a point, our fleet is pathetic compared to years ago ( before my time I might add)

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

9. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Are you sure?

10. AS will say anything to get in the papers. He hopes to strike a chord with enough people so they vote for what he wants. He's no chance.

11. The ships are, but they don't have any power for the Officers to act as British Sea Fisheries Officers. Having read the legislation, it seems as though as part of devolution, it was one of the powers sent North of the Border.

12. This is true, when I was on fish we had standoff's in Scotland, but we never conducted any patrols in their waters, they conducted their own.

13. The man Salmond is an idiot. He thinks that an independent Scotland would be a member of the E.U. despite being told that it would have to apply for entry. He thinks that the Scottish Pound would remain as the Scottish currency and be linked to Sterling despite being told by the Bank of England that no such link would exist and furthermore, entry to the E.U. would mean that Scotland would have to use the Euro! He maintains that Scotland would have its own armed services!! Where is that sort of money going to come from? The two nuclear power stations in Scotland would be closed (they generate over 50% of Scotland's power) but in his world 'renewables' would take up the slack. He has legislated for the vote to be given to sixteen-year-old children who will no doubt be treated to 'Braveheart' style propaganda before referendum day in order to swing the vote in his favour. I am a Scot and proud to be so, but this Salmond is a lunatic living in a strange world that exists only in his large but empty head and he scares me.

• Like Like x 5
  14. You are spot on! I too am a Jock and go back regularly and have yet to find a 'supporter' of this idiot's policies. BUT the SNP are seen as idealistic. When I was sweet 16, I wore my SNP badge with pride and had the logo on my schoolbag etc. So he has been very smart dropping the voting age to 16.

Now I am older and (a bit!) wiser.

Salmond and his chums CANNOT possibly have done their homework on this one.

15. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

No need to waste bandwidth.

16. If you are talking about the Burg, we must move in different cirles, as I know of no-one that supports him.

That said, I do think it will be a very close run thing - the realists v the idealists, with at the moment, no real information being provided with which to sway the idealists.

17. Aha - So that'll be four and twenty (plus n) then, Styx?

18. Salmond is a complete tool and should not be allowed out in daylight hours without a bag over his head, as he could easily frighten the weans.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Most Scots I know think he is a utter waste of space. Most of what he spouts is just hot air anyhow.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013