Alevels and UCAS

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Jon01, Jun 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know I should be making my way down to the AFCO, but i'm just wondering what Alevels they accept for the 180points. Is it any that add upto the 180? So say a C, D, E= 180points.

Cheers

2. It has to from a minimum of 45 points per subject, ie. C at AS or E at A2. The subjects also must be non overlapping but the definition of this is not very clear from the information I can find. What A levels do you have?

3. Oh, and you need 5 GCSEs A*-C including English and Maths.

4. I've a C at Alevel, E in AS chemistry which was a dropped, and I ahve exams in A-level History, Physicd and General Studies*im guessing they allow General Studies?).

Do you mean a min of 40points per subject, as a C at AS is 40 and a E at A level is 40?

Thanks again

5. and I have the GCSE's.

6. Whats the C in? something you dropped?

7. The E at AS won't count I don't think.

8. The C is an Alevel grade in ICT

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Officer selection: As well as 5 GCSE's A*-C (including Maths & English)
    the minimum requirement for educational qualifications is now to 180 UCAS points, subject to certain constraints.
    The revised minimum standard for non-graduate Officer entry to the Royal Marines will be 180 UCAS points for all candidates from Fri 29 February 2008, subject to the constraints that:

a. the total must include at least two non-overlapping subject areas;
    b. each subject must be allocated at least 45 UCAS points;
    c. If unsure of overlapping subject areas AIB should be contacted.

4. The minimum for each subject will be increased from 40 to 45 UCAS points so the following will no longer acceptable:

a. A-Level Grade E;
    b. AS-level Grade C;
    c. Scottish Higher Grade D;
    d. Scottish Intermediate – any grade.

5. The full UCAS points tariff, showing equivalent qualifications, is available at UCAS.com

10. The C gets you 80 points so you need a minimum of two Ds.

11. Thanks Ninja and Sam

12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Latest changes!

Officer selection, as well as 5 GCSE's A*-C (including Maths & English)
    the minimum standard for entry is now 180 UCAS points, subject to certain constraints.

The revised minimum standard for non-graduate Officer entry to the Royal Navy & Royal Marines is 180 UCAS points from Fri 29 February 2008, subject to the constraints that:

a. the total must include at least two non-overlapping subject areas;
    b. each subject must be allocated at least 45 UCAS points;
    c. If unsure of overlapping subject areas AIB should be contacted.

The minimum for each subject will be increased from 40 to 45 UCAS points so the following will no longer acceptable:

a. A-Level Grade E;
    b. AS-level Grade C;
    c. Scottish Higher Grade D;
    d. Scottish Intermediate – any grade.

The full UCAS points tariff, showing equivalent qualifications, is available at UCAS.com

BTEC EQUIVALENCIES

Candidates offering BTEC Certificates and Diplomas, at level 3 and above, will now be accepted as satisfying the non-overlapping requirement, but the minimum acceptable standards for these qualifications are now as follows:

BTEC Certificate – Distinction, Merit
    BTEC Diploma – Merit, Merit, Merit

The minimum standard for A levels remains 180 UCAS points, with at least two non-overlapping subjects. Other Level 3 qualifications will be dealt with under existing policy on a case by case basis.