Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Annieec, Mar 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

My bf of nearly 5yrs is joining the Navy in April and after Basic Training he will be based in Aldershot for at least 10 months. I wish to move there and am wondering if anyone here has or knows of anyone who has a room spare that I could rent? It needs to be a double room and I need to be able to have him back at weekends.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Annie x
  2. Wassee doin' in Aldershot, joining the underwater Paras?

3. MEDIC!
  4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Is He ill?
  6. No need to shout me duck! This situation has undoubtedly cropped up before at the Joint Services Medical School (or whatever they call it this week). Find out how to contact the OIC (Google RN Medical Training) and ask them if they can give you any advice. They'll be glad to help.
  7. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

annie, Aldershot is a very Army orientated town, not somewhere that matelots or bootie frequent very often.

You might get more joy over on Arrse...I wouldn't shout about the navy bit though, just say he's going there for a course....keep it simple stupid.

good luck.
  8. I don't know where you are living at present but please be advised that the Aldershot area is expensive for rented accommodation. A double room will probably cost you at least £100 a week to rent.
    It may be cheaper for him to travel back to see you for weekends.
    If you were considering working in the area there is plenty of work available, however much of it pays only the minimum wage (about £5.50 hour).
  9. Not much luck with Google, but you need Defence Medical Services Training Centre, Keogh Barracks, Aldershot. The advice to try ARRSE is good. You will probably find Army students on that forum.
  10. What about married quarters? Or am I being stupid here? :???:
  11. Good point Dunkers, if Part II trainees are entitled to MQs.
  12. Are married quarters allocated to those living together?
  13. phase 2 trainess are entitled to married quarters as i know a lad at collingwood who had them. but as there called 'married quarters' im guessing being boyfriend/girlfriend for 5 years dosent qualify you.
    as has been said there will probably be a better response in arrse
  14. There you go annieec. Get him to make an honest woman of you. :wink:
  15. Easier said than done Wardmaster! Everything seems to cost money these days. xx
  16. dont be so fussy get the bish to marry u. he can wear his ones. u can wear some trackies and get driven in a metro not so dear :)
  17. The thing is guys we arn't ready to get married yet and when we do we want it to be a special occasion for all not a trip to the registry office to "do the deed!" So back to the original question regarding accomodation please? Annie xx
  18. Don't do it, it's a mistake.....

Anyway, afraid I can't help much with the accomodation issue although I'd echo slim. It's expensive because it's London commutable. I'd recommend thinking about weekending it.
  19. Hi guys

Just wanted to say...

Gavin & I married on the 18th August 2007, we arranged the whole thing in 8 weeks and mum bought my dress and paid for most of it. We married in church then had the reception & evening do at the Hilton Hotel in Newport, South Wales where Gavin is from and where we have both lived for the past 5 years.

We were encouraged by Gavin's P.O. to move to Plymouth instead and as there were no married quarters left we found a lovely house in Peverell right by Central Park for which we pay military rates (about £200 a month) and don't have to lve in Crownhill, which I hear is a really bad area.

Thanks for all the comments last year, it helped us along.

Annie (formally known as Annieec). xx
  20. Nice to hear of such a happy ending. Congratulations :)