Albion & Bulwark in the news

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
The only drawback is that they might actually make a decision...
Agree, but I think a decision that has been taken after a sensible argument has been put forward is what it is and then at least the Navy can say it showed it's cards properly. The Govt can make the decision based on what it is willing to pay for.

Scandinavians.

They've done it before.
And the Romans. And the Normans (though I suppose they were really Scandinavians, originally). And the Spanish. And the French. And the Germans.
If you include former empire, colonies ,and Overseas Territories, you can add The United States (they lusted after Canada), Spain again (still lusting after Gibraltar) and of course Argentina.

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
Noticed the large numbers but where was the Amphibious Attack that brought them here and why weren't they forcibly dispelled by the Amphibious Force we speak of?

SaladDodger

Lantern Swinger
Maybe slightly off thread and hopefully a situation that won't happen, but..... if Devonport did close where would our subs go for refit ? And would / could planning permission ever be given for civilian use of the land around Defiance given it's nuclear use ? Bit heavy for a Friday night I know. I hope Devonport never closes and this talk of the LPD's being scrapped is just talk

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
If this is what the Treasury want, it proves (if only to people like us) that Hammond is totally unfitted to lead the country. The first charge on our collective purse should be Defence. That, back to the dawn of time, is why humans grouped together and accepted leadership.

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
1* and above have to have clearance from Fleet Media before commenting on policy issues. I suspect his tweet would have been in breach of this.
A burton (also called a Spanish Burton) was a block and tackle mechanism used on Royal Navy ships. It was reputedly complex and difficult to use and any mariner who wasn't where he was expected to be was said to have 'gone for a burton'.
Who put the Twit in Twitter?

1* and above have to have clearance from Fleet Media before commenting on policy issues. I suspect his tweet would have been in breach of this.
I suspect you are right. A pity in some ways, and all part of the politicians' twitchiness that they could lose credibility if Service personnel speak the truth.

But the rules do apply across the board, so if AB Snodgrass speaks out publicly ( on Service issues, without authority) and gets bollocked, then it's only right that Rear Admiral Snodgrass does too.

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
A burton (also called a Spanish Burton) was a block and tackle mechanism used on Royal Navy ships. It was reputedly complex and difficult to use and any mariner who wasn't where he was expected to be was said to have 'gone for a burton'.
Who put the Twit in Twitter?
I doubt it. Gone for a beer from Burton on Trent is my bet.

If needed fill the Second carrier up wiv bootnecks and run her up the beach simples!!! if you need to get em orf do another Dunkirk

I seem to have screwed up my edit. What I was trying to say was that my late father was an RAF Wireless Operator/Air Gunner and did his basic training at Blackpool. He told me that the RAF records people worked above Burtons in Blackpool and if someone was killed or reported missing in action, then they were deemed to have "gone for a Burton".

Last edited:
I doubt it. Gone for a beer from Burton on Trent is my bet.
Ahem........

A Burton (also called a Spanish Burton) was a block and tackle mechanism used on Royal Navy ships. It was reputedly complex and difficult to use and any mariner who wasn't where he was expected to be was said to have 'gone for a burton'. 'Burton' is defined in William Falconer's An Universal Dictionary of the Marine, 1769:

"Burton, a ... small tackle, formed by two blocks or pulleys ... generally employed to tighten the shrouds of the top-masts."

'A-burton' was the term used to describe a form of stowage on a ship. Again, we have a definition - in Arthur Young's Nautical Dictionary, 1846:

"A-burton", Casks are said to be stowed a-burton, when placed athwartships [from side to side across the ship] in the hold.

My bold. Eyethangyoo!

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
Ahem........

A Burton (also called a Spanish Burton) was a block and tackle mechanism used on Royal Navy ships. It was reputedly complex and difficult to use and any mariner who wasn't where he was expected to be was said to have 'gone for a burton'. 'Burton' is defined in William Falconer's An Universal Dictionary of the Marine, 1769:

"Burton, a ... small tackle, formed by two blocks or pulleys ... generally employed to tighten the shrouds of the top-masts."

'A-burton' was the term used to describe a form of stowage on a ship. Again, we have a definition - in Arthur Young's Nautical Dictionary, 1846:

"A-burton", Casks are said to be stowed a-burton, when placed athwartships [from side to side across the ship] in the hold.

My bold. Eyethangyoo!
Fings Ain't Wot They Used To Be
They've changed
our local Palais
into a bowlin' alley
and fings ain't
what they used to be

There's teds
with drainpipe trousers
and debs in coffee houses
and fings ain't
what they used to be