Alan Turing

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by seafarer1939, Sep 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Without him the war would have lasted much longer and I have the utmost admiration for him but:the law of the land was the law and he was convicted.
    this may be a wrong conviction but why does our Prime Minister feel like making an apology for it?
    Forgive me for feeling cynical but is there nothing this man will not apologise for,slave trade?Turing and why has Oscar Wild been missed out?
    Will he now apologise to the Boers for us allowing concentration camps letting hundreds of women and children die?
    Maybe he is after the pink vote but nothing will suprise me about our Governments attitude, I also think the other parties may take the same route if they could.
    I think the past should rest as it was.we have enough problems.IMO

2. Why is there any need to apologise for mistakes made in the past?
    these mistakes have been recognised and laws have either been changed or amended to reflect these mistakes.
    Seems to me just a desperate attempt at vote catching, however our friends in the Gay community will be too smart to take the bait :p

Edited to add:
    I note that he has not apologised for the locking up of lesser known gays :p

3. Just another fairy story ....as if an apology makes everything right

Turing's achievements are above all this crepe

4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Well the real PM bats for the other side and got the front man to ..err..man up and issue an apology in the hope of getting some pink votes I guess. Not that it means anything, a bit like me saying "I'm very sorry for swamping your pit after drunkenly shagging you way back in 1986" Or, "Sorry, yes it was me that fed laxative to your dog when it was locked in your shiny Morgan when I was in your fourth form physics class" It's meaningless drivel. Fcuk me we had an empire once, the opportunities for hand wringing and apologies are endless if that's what gets you off.

5. Your post is just a babble of shit.

For those of us who are not university dons, what fcuking war, what fcuking conviction and most of all, who the fcuk is Alan Turing?

6. [/quote]
    For those of us who are not university dons, what fcuking war, what fcuking conviction and most of all, who the fcuk is Alan Turing?[/quote]

Google is Quite handy sometimes try it.

:?

7. Daily Telegraph: Gordon Brown issues posthumous apology to Bletchley Park codebreaker

Welcome to the CA forum. Apart from anything else, Alan Turing was named by Time Magazine in 1999 as one of the 100 Most Important People of the 20th Century for his role in the creation of the modern computer... oh, he also did something at Bletchley Park during WW II that probably shortened the war by two years and helped save thousands, possibly millions, of lives (Wiki link).

8. He was one of the greatest people to help in to winning the war.If you don't know which war well!it was in all the papers.
    My point is to forget apologising for all the past misdeeds done and move on.
    I suspect it was done for Broons own motives but who knows.
    I live in Berwick and expect an apology soon for King Edward the ![Hammer of the Scots] tossing 12000 men women and kids into the Tweed,then I expect the Scots to apologise for tossing 8000 English into the Tweed.
    It never ends with this lot,Agincourt?Crecy,Khartoum?sorry please forgive Britain!
    Give it a rest and move on.

9. "Jack "did his bit as well,
    http://tinyurl.com/lfhoj6

10. How about Mr Flowers who made the "Bomber" that made fast decoding possible. Had to fund it himself. Are the procurement people going to apologise. :wink:

11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

There is little doubt that Alan Turing was a genius that probably saved many lives before tragically taking his own because his sexuality was illegal at that time & society demanded shame & punishment.

The current Prime Minister apologising for a bigotted, intollerant & homophobic law 60 years ago is about as pointless as hanging the innocent grandchild of a mass-murderer for having a bad granddad.

Giving a posthumous pardon & knighthood maybe better than a pointless & meaningless, hollow apology to the non-existent descendants.

12. The PM made the apology in the context of a e-petition on the no.10 website. I signed it.

Turing wasn't imprisoned for being gay but for admitting he was gay to the senior policeman who investigated a burgulary he reported. The theft was by a casual lover. It turns out that Turing did not actually realise that consenting homosexual acts in private, were illegal! His suicide was in the context of him being followed everywhere (on grounds of national security) as well as the hormone treatment, which had the effect of making him grow breasts. He was shabbily treated, but so are other people. The apology has no practical value as he has no surviving relatives, but is a symbolic gesture.

13. More shambolic I think :twisted: :wink:

14. I sometimes think that our "beloved" prime minister may be a closet brown hatter, he's dropped us all in the shit :wink: But he doesn't apologise for it!