Al-Qaeda in Iraq leader 'killed'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/6610873.stm

The interior ministry in Iraq says it has received intelligence that the head of al-Qaeda in Iraq has been killed.
Abu Ayyub al-Masri, believed to be an Egyptian, has led the group since June 2006 when Abu Musab al-Zarqawi was killed in a US air strike.

Al-Qaeda in Iraq is blamed for or has claimed some of the bloodiest insurgent attacks in Iraq since 2003.

According to Iraqi officials, al-Masri was killed in an "internal battle" between militants.

'Doubly sure'

The clash took place on Tuesday in northern Baghdad, an interior ministry official said on Iraqi television. The official said that he was "100% sure" that al-Masri had been killed.

"There were clashes within the groups of al-Qaeda. He was liquidated by them. Our forces had nothing to do with it," said interior ministry spokesman Brig Gen Abdel Karim Khalaf.

However he said that the authorities do not actually have al-Masri's corpse in their possession.

The US military says it has been unable to verify the claim.
Why is it I don't believe anything that comes out of the Iraqi 'Government' at all? Show us the body. Does this 'news' precede yet another call for cash from the coalition?

Better still, show us you're actually trying to govern the bloody place. :evil:

I need more coffee.

wet_blobby

War Hero
Dont be so harsh PTP, remember Ireland when the paddies used to fallout and go around topping each other, saved us a job and no fear of some legal eagle doing you for doing your job.

Let them carry on, no encourage it...dig out boys...I'm right behind you!!!

ABC news just reporting that the reports of Abu Ayyab al-Masri's death are a little exagerated. They stop just short of saying total fabrication but this is the implication :roll:

What's the point? it's not like if you cut off the head of a snake the body dies type thing as there are countless other idiots ready to step up and take over, and so it goes!... :evil: