Airport to close

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by sussex2, Apr 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In my opinion a very sad thing:

UK's loss-making Plymouth City Airport to shut

What with the possible loss of the dockyard (despite the politicos posturing) and now this, I think it is very sad.
    Many moons ago the first property I bought, could afford to buy, was in Mutley. I sold it just a year or two ago and always have a soft spot for the city.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  2. Thats been on the cards for a while. Building houses on one of the runways was a clue!!!

Current owners bought it then sold off the money making routes. It will revert to being a flying club with the Bond helo's flying in and out I reckon.
  3. The forces used to train pilots at Roborough Airport, often used to see Chipmonk aircraft taking off and landing there, still perhaps the flying boats will make a comeback, the slipway at Mount Batten is still in use
  4. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Not sure about 'training pilots', I think the Chipmunk role was more about basic famils for BRNC. Pukka basic pilot training for wannabe Wafus was always done by the Crabs, in the Chipmunk days at Linton on Ouse. Where, one chilly Yorkshire evening, the RN took the doors of the Crab trainees' huts, piled them up and poured water on them so that the whole pile froze solid, giving the Crabs some healthy fresh air and a useful initiative test.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  5. You are quite correct, I always remember that watching them was always a pleasure
  6. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

What's the old airfield up there called, the one from WW2 era and anyone know who or what flew out of there?

I'm guessing it was fighters because of the old earthworks "pens" I think they were called.
  7. Do you mean Yelverton, on the road towards Princeton?
  8. That would be the Aerodrome at Yealverton on the moors, quite near to the Tor. parts of the runway still in existence. Believe from my parents telling me that they flew spits and Hurricanes from there. Wiki might have some info on it.
  9. A shame this is closing, made duty trips to Guzz from Fassers a lot easier.
  10. Plymouth airport was used for the assessment flying for aircrew selection years back. As for Plymouth airports history, is was never the first choice for the city's airport due to the boggy ground. Yelverton was, but too far out of town.

Although Yelverton is no longer in existence, it's runways torn up and buildings knocked down, it is a decent walk if you have mutt's!!! (Was there last Saturday). A good link for the airfield is here;- RAF Harrowbeer.htm , the photos are very good as they morph from yesteryear to the present day.
  11. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Cheers lads, that'll be the one I was on about. I learnt to drive on it.