Airport renamed after George Best

He may of been a good footie player for all of 4yrs, thrown a decent liver away and, well could go on but is this not a little OTT?

George Best was born in east Belfast
Belfast City Airport is to be renamed in honour of George Best, it has been announced.
A ceremony at the east Belfast airport is planned for 22 May, with the new signage being unveiled on what would have been his 60th birthday.

The decision followed meetings with his father, Dickie, and close relatives.

The Manchester United and Northern Ireland legend died last November after suffering organ failure.

Airport chief executive Brian Ambrose said: "We believe that renaming the airport after George is a fitting and permanent tribute to his footballing brilliance."

George's sister Barbara McNarry said the family was "absolutely delighted" by the gesture.

George's father Dickie Best unveiled a plane bearing his son's image

"The family has been consulted at every turn in the naming of the airport and have been involved in all the meetings with Brian Ambrose," she said.

"We are so delighted they have pulled out all the stops in getting this done in time for George's 60th birthday."

It is estimated that 2.2 million passengers use the airport each year.
Story

Sorry, this is bollocks. Seven or so years of good football, followed by thirty pissing it up, beating up women and taking up NHS resources. Some poor bugger is probably dead right now because the liver he needed went to George Best.

fullasternboth said:
Sorry, this is bollocks. Seven or so years of good football, followed by thirty pissing it up, beating up women and taking up NHS resources. Some poor bugger is probably dead right now because the liver he needed went to George Best.
i couldnt agree with you more Shippers!

I have spoken to a few people who on the one hand say that he was a genius on the field of play, but think that enough is enough. The airport doesnt need to be renamed and if it did the people of not just Belfast but the whole of Norn Iron should have been consulted. I propose Blair Maine the man with a real fighting spirit.

Don't be too hard on George after all alcholism is a sickness I am sure we have all come across someone with a drink problem. They can sometimes be sighted in the Ship Leopard after leaving Haslar on the mandatory end of course piss up.

finknottle said:
Don't be too hard on George after all alcholism is a sickness I am sure we have all come across someone with a drink problem. They can sometimes be sighted in the Ship Leopard after leaving Haslar on the mandatory end of course piss up.
Get it right!

It is 'Emma's, mid week (Wed) of the basket weaving course'...........or am I the only one that has experienced this??

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Diamond Lil's 3
sgtpepperband Diamond Lil's 4
M Current Affairs 139